Perfect example of a Roach/Rudd Hybrid

Reaction score
Hi all

Dont mean to post a stupid topic, But there's not many clear detailed pictures of a Roach/Rudd Hybrid, I caught this fish 2 years ago and to this day is probably the prettiest little fish ive caught so far. Notice the deep body similar to a Rudd, Also the blood red fins and the dorsal positioned further back again like a Rudd, But notice the Roach like head with the downward pointing mouth. Just thought id share this with you's
DSC00188_zpsaa018fa3.jpg

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
That's a good example of a roach x rudd. One water I fish produces them to around two pounds although the true roach run to about 1-8 and the rudd to just 6oz. The dorsal aligns to about halfway along the pelvic fin whereas the roach aligns to the front edge and the rudd to the rear edge. The abdominal keel is more pronounced on the hybrid than a roach but this is hard to photograph.

---------- Post added at 08:25 ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 ----------

One I had last year:

roachxrudd.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 ----------

The keel on the hybrid:
IMG_0179.JPG

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Hi Mark W, long time since you have posted unless I missed it. A very nice picture of a fish. But, you have sent me some very good pictures in the past, something your good at, hows the book doing?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Hi Mark. Yes, I'm still around and if you ever want more pics just ask; got some nice silver bream ones the last couple of years. The book is still selling steadily and has been fantastically well-received, beyond my dreams really. I understand the publisher has a few signed copies at present, having found a box that was missed, with the rest being unsigned.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I said it was a classic on the subject (roach) when I first read it. I still remain in that opinion - utterly brilliant, best book on roach over the last 30 years.