Tench groundbait

flearoy

Reaction score
Hi all what are your goto ground baits for tench ?haven`t fished for them for about 50 yrs and forgot what mix i used think it was red with added worm and hemp

@Clive

Reaction score
I did OK with bran and hemp groundbait and red maggots or squats. But that was back in the day when you used porcupine quill floats. These days it seems that scaled down carp methods are fashionable. Mini boilies and oily bag mixes.

flightliner

Reaction score
Rough brown crumb two parts, green stim gb one part.
Add as much hemp, casters, and chopped worm to it but it still holds together add a dendra to your hook with two casters.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Varies from water to water I would imagine and distances to be thrown (if it's thrown), many waters its sheer quantity, so brown crumb or vitalin if you can still source it, mashed bread, three or four loaves, maggot, casters, micro pellet, hemp, groats, or any mixture of said particles and worms(if small perch allow).... its all down to the head of tench in your venue, this year i'm trying a g.bait appriach on a particular club lake with very large tench, rather than loose feeding micros and groats, using a pole to cup the balls into position, purely to stop drawing small roach, rudd and perch in, balling cricket balls in to plummet to the bottom in the deep water, also I'm going to feed half boilies (not my favourite bait for tench) without particles hoping that I will target straight at the tench...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
hemp and casters are pretty good for tench, probably the best I find on a tricky canal for them however, I have not tried everything and not ready made bags/mixes but hemp and casters seems to work the best out of what I have tried.

The bad one

Reaction score
Vitalin and brown crumb at a two to one mix (2 brown and one vitalin) with a red colouring added to it and red maggot spodded over it. Works for me!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Over 30 years ago a groundbait called Pur Sang was easily the best tench groundbait, and, as its name implied, it was loaded with dried blood.

nottskev

Reaction score
The in's and out's of groundbait vary according to where and how you're fishing. But it does seem tench like things in shades of red. VDE Expo is proven. A bit dear, but can be stretched with brown crumb. Other groundbaits can be reddened with a handful of Sensas Red Magic, a sprinkling of which will also dye cubed meat if your tench eat that. If the tench are in pole or loose-feeding range, I'd rather start with just a couple of small balls of groundbait then loose feed whatever's on the menu: red maggots, fluouro pinkies, hemp, caster, chopped worm. Last year, I found expander pellets, 4 and 6mm, dyed with a spoonful of Robin Red powder in the water, fed and on the hook, were preferred over the other baits I tried.

Philip

Reaction score
Tench fishers had some amazing results on Kent pits using layers mash as a cheap bulk carrier way back when.

@Clive

Reaction score
Tench fishers had some amazing results on Kent pits using layers mash as a cheap bulk carrier way back when.
I still use it in pellet form Philip. It is a cheap, convenient loose feed or groundbait that roach, bream and carassins seem to like. And, it fizzes on the surface so you can get your float right over the loose feed and you know when to add more.

chevin4

Reaction score
The waters I fish have a low density of quality fish so I don't tend to fill it in with groundbait preferring to spod particles dead maggots hemp casters etc. If I use an open end feeder I like to use Van Den Eyd Expo or alternatively Dynamite Baits Worm and Hemp

peterjg

Reaction score
Layers mash, a great ground bait additive. I usually put 25% LM to 75% crumb. Adjust the groundbait to suit required breakdown, LM is not a binder it does the opposite, fish love it. You can also add chocolate powder, Sainsbury's dark brown sugar. Flavour the water to be added with geranium oil and HP brown sauce. It works.

John Aston

Reaction score
Layers Mash ? Christ no ! I'd get flashbacks to my childhood . Dad was a GP and part time hobby famer and at one point we had 60 plus hens (not 'chickens' BTW - that is what you eat) . One of my tasks before school was mixing up Layers Mash with hot water on freezing winter mornings and feeding the damn hens. So I will stick to the sweeter fragrance of Sensas, if only to avoid my avian variant of PTSD kicking in...

nottskev

Reaction score
Layers Mash ? Christ no ! I'd get flashbacks to my childhood . Dad was a GP and part time hobby famer and at one point we had 60 plus hens (not 'chickens' BTW - that is what you eat) . One of my tasks before school was mixing up Layers Mash with hot water on freezing winter mornings and feeding the damn hens. So I will stick to the sweeter fragrance of Sensas, if only to avoid my avian variant of PTSD kicking in...

Perhaps we can form an LM PTSD support group? A few years ago I mentioned to my girlfriend I'd look out for a small bag as I'd found out my local worm farmer fed it to his growing worms. She looked online, misread the product details and instead of a 2.5kg bag, a 25kg sack arrived. We lugged it into the shed where it became a magnet for everything from weevils to rodents before growing a toxic fungus and we had to dispose of roughly 24.9kg.
Layers mash? I'd rather eat worms.

@Clive

Reaction score
Calm down, calm down!

A 5kg bag of layer's pellets costs less than four quid and can be kept for years in a sealed tub like koi pellets come in. It is made using biscuit factory waste and brewer's maltings. 16% of mostly vegetable protein. The 2 or 3mm pellets dissolve in a few minutes and have a lovely malty smell with a touch of vanilla coming from the biscuit waste.

I have been useing them for 12 years when fishing for roach, rudd, bream and carassins. No need for preparation. Just scoop some out of the tub and put them in a plastic bag or maggot tub. Job done. Loose feed or groundbait sorted! :)

bencarvosso

Reaction score
If you can get it, VDE Beet was really good for tench here in ireland on wild lakes.
Red dari seeds prepared with crushed hemp, corn, casters and a sprinkling of pellet and 10mm fishy boilies was my particle mix past few years.

lakelegend

Reaction score
Hey, sounds like you're getting back into the swing of things! Your memory's not too far off; a classic mix for tench often includes a sweet, red groundbait to attract them, with chopped worms and hemp added in for extra attraction. These ingredients still work wonders today!