A new Wye venue

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Steve

I initially asked for the private and personal number to be removed at the request of the owner because of a very serious terminal illness in the family.

That was it. Thankfully the Mods here complied. ( as I am sure they would if any personal number was given out without permission)

I did not post anything until I realised that repeated attempts to highlight the venue contact were being made (there was another thread earlier on the same thing)

I only came to have al ook in the first place because I was informed that an article about a days guiding with me was deleted and a headline made that was abusive in it's place. (The mods can confirm that)

It was about this day

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/general-fishing/15899-my-angling-experience.html

If anybody who still has an open mind wants to check on the comment made by Mr Thorpe on Mr. Bonneys blog after their visit it becomes apparent what the silly little game was leading to this.

They have been caught being less than honest. Nothing more nothing less.

In your defence regards naming venues, you seem to have missed the point completely regrding the initial response to the thread.....unseen - unless it affects you of course.

Anyway. I have refrained from commenting about you for many months and you have done the same in return, and I will continue to refrain. As you say water under the bridge/ lifes too short.

Its a pity you cannot do the same for your colleague as the repeated troublesome examples have been highlighted.

Anyway. Truth has come out so I wont be adding anything.

Last edited:

Bluenose

Reaction score
Having had a quick look it appears that all contributors to this thread have their private message facility enabled.

Therefore can we leave the thread where it is now please and restrict any further comments to private messages only.

Cheers

hugo curgudgeon

Reaction score
It appears to me that this thread, and a lot of the posts on it, are the result of long standing arguments and upsets from other sites.

Why on earth these are being aired here on FishingMagic I haven't a clue!

This thread will be closed or deleted if it descends into posts that contrave the Rules and/ot the T&C's for FM.

It is such a shame that these feuds manifest themselves on angling sites. Why people have to argue on the internet is possibly because they would not wish to confront their protagonist face to face. Come on lads time to grow up.

Regards

Hugo

thefitz

Reaction score
Hugo, I have no problem facing Graham Elliott Face to face, and will do so if he ever comes running along the bank shouting abuse at me again like he did on the River Kennet Lower Benyons 6 weeks ago.

Ray Thorpe

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Such fishy feuds between a few self-appointed piscatorial movers and shakers or floggers of gear or of fishing, though, fellas, when they surface and are played out in public, act as a warning to Anglers (as opposed to mere high-profile hookers) and Angling itself not to allow such sorts, who periodically air their little on- and off-bank discordant melodies when they're being ignored or business is bad, to set the mood music for our pastime, and by doing so make Ordinary Joe angler-onlookers mistakenly think that such angry, ear-splitting squeaks, scrapes, howls and bangs should be the default-setting soundtrack for their own Angling lives.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A page-long sentence is perfectly okay, if written well and punctuated properly - take a look at a lot of classic English literature. But then perhaps not ... in these tiny attention span, text-speak days...

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No, David Gauntlett of Chesham (I take it - a man I have never spoken with or met), the dear old Hamsters died when I left the BFW forum, quietly and graciously, the other week, after a few of its members, some of whom I see also post here - Colne Valley denizens and other tedious, griping and sniping politicos and serial axe-grinders, the sorts any decent type or proper Angler susses in a second and wouldn't touch even with somebody else's length of cane, glass or tubular graphite let alone their own - really couldn't contain themselves.

Which, I suppose, brings us back to how a few, verbally incontinent, highly opinionated ranters and ravers and all-round armpit-scratchers spoil everyone's Angling...

chrisfromthevalley

Reaction score
No, David Gauntlett of Chesham (I take it - a man I have never spoken with or met), the dear old Hamsters died when I left the BFW forum, quietly and graciously, the other week, after a few of its members, some of whom I see also post here - Colne Valley denizens and other tedious, griping and sniping politicos and serial axe-grinders, the sorts any decent type or proper Angler susses in a second and wouldn't touch even with somebody else's length of cane, glass or tubular graphite let alone their own - really couldn't contain themselves.

Which, I suppose, brings us back to how a few, verbally incontinent, highly opinionated ranters and ravers and all-round armpit-scratchers spoil everyone's Angling...
we all miss you..come back..:D

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As with women, so with fish - when the love dies, never go back.

I am no longer barbel fishing - given up on them till I feel I want to catch one again (as opposed to walk a bit of river and platonically gaze at a few from time to time). As with barbel, so with mahseer, Goliath, sea-trout and a few others before them: not the fish, but the company you suddenly find yourself having to keep...

"Then do you mean that I have got to go on catching these damned two-and-a-half pounders at this corner forever and ever?"

The keeper nodded.

"Hell!" said Mr. Castwell.

"Yes," said his keeper.

G.E.M.Skues

Mr. Theodore Castwell - Lighter Side - Fly Angler's OnLine - week 13 volume 9

Last edited:

chrisfromthevalley

Reaction score
As with women, so with fish - when the love dies, never go back.

I am no longer barbel fishing - given up on them till I feel I want to catch one again (as opposed to walk a bit of river and platonically gaze at a few from time to time) again. As with barbel, so with mahseer, Goliath, sea-trout and a few others before them: not the fish, but the company you suddenly find your having to keep...

"Then do you mean that I have got to go on catching these damned two-and-a-half pounders at this corner forever and ever?"

The keeper nodded.

"Hell!" said Mr. Castwell.

"Yes," said his keeper.

G.E.M.Skues

Mr. Theodore Castwell - Lighter Side - Fly Angler's OnLine - week 13 volume 9
i don't really dig for gold either much more now, it's the tench these days for me.
less pressure, less testosterone on the bank.

cg74

Reaction score
we all miss you..come back..:D

Ah well you'll just have to miss me, certainly not going to be an encore either, so you guys can debate away merrily the best centre pin, how one should only ever fish with an overpriced Harrison rod (Chimera or Torrix, that is the question) and then there's the next barbel bait utopia (Teme Severn Lamprey whatevers, Pallatrax Monster Crab somethings or SBS Serious Barbel Stixs, for a smidge under £16 a kilo).

Are you Dave of the Hall or Gauntlett, my first thought was the Gauntlett, now I'm thinking Hall?

Bluenose

Reaction score
how one should only ever fish with an overpriced Harrison rod

Funny enough I bought myself one of these recently (last week..fact fans) not for barbel, well maybe at a push once a year but mainly for perch, tench and chub.

Anyway, this hand built custom build job included several personal touches and with several hours of proper face to face consultation cost me less than an off the shelf top of the range daiwa or shimano.

It's simply ace.

cg74

Reaction score
Funny enough I bought myself one of these recently (last week..fact fans) not for barbel, well maybe at a push once a year but mainly for perch, tench and chub.

Anyway, this hand built custom build job included several personal touches and with several hours of proper face to face consultation cost me less than an off the shelf top of the range daiwa or shimano.

It's simply ace.

Maybe I am missing out on something, as I've not seen/held a rod that is perfectly suited to fishing for perch, chub and tench.

I just can't see how a rod's action can be perfect for a species that fights like a wet blanket and very rarely exceeds 4lb (perch).
Then be perfect for fish that do pull back hard and often go 10lb+.:confused::confused:

chrisfromthevalley

Reaction score
Ah well you'll just have to miss me, certainly not going to be an encore either, so you guys can debate away merrily the best centre pin, how one should only ever fish with an overpriced Harrison rod (Chimera or Torrix, that is the question) and then there's the next barbel bait utopia (Teme Severn Lamprey whatevers, Pallatrax Monster Crab somethings or SBS Serious Barbel Stixs, for a smidge under £16 a kilo).

Are you Dave of the Hall or Gauntlett, my first thought was the Gauntlett, now I'm thinking Hall?
none of your business gordon!

Bluenose

Reaction score
Maybe I am missing out on something, as I've not seen/held a rod that is perfectly suited to fishing for perch, chub and tench.

I just can't see how a rod's action can be perfect for a species that fights like a wet blanket and very rarely exceeds 4lb (perch).
Then be perfect for fish that do pull back hard and often go 10lb+.:confused::confused:

To be fair neither could I until the rod builder loaned me one on a 'try before you buy' basis, and I fished 2lb- ish hook links for small fish on the river, then back in the workshop he put a hook through the top ring and pulled down with a spring balance to 7lb+ with plenty to spare.

I'm sure that individual rods would do those jobs at either end of the spectrum possibly better, but for an all round rod, banded up ready to go fishing for anything up to an 8lb -10lb hook link I've never seen/felt anything like it. I know a few other lads who have the same rod and have put it to use for various jobs from feeder fishing for tinca's and barbel to float fishing for smaller species.

Essentially it's an 8ft stalker rod with 4 ft of soft-er carbon in the top end. Sounds daft but it works.

I'll be able to give a more full account in 12 months or so.

Last edited: