Dove: River Dove / Trent Fishing

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Has anyone been down the lower Dove near the confluence with the Trent yesterday or today by any chance?

Planning a trip tomorrow around the lower reaches and cannot decide whether to make a pike or barbel venture.

If the rain has brought the river up it's obviously barbel conditions.

If there's loads of weed and **** coming down then again barbel because it'll take exactly 3 seconds to foul up a set of trebles in a dead-bait.

If it's not really changed despite the rain I'll probably opt for my first pike session of this season.

Cheers to anyone with any information.

Last edited by a moderator:

valleybrown

Reaction score
Re: River Dove / Trent

Or any Dove reports from further up?

I've been fishing the Dove upstream of Doveridge downstream of the weir at Rocester for about twenty years. Mainly course and lure fishing but with some fly when I can find somebody tolerant enough to show me how!

The last four weeks have been the best I can remember for years. With the exception of some good winter chub fishing, last year was awful and possibly the worst I can remember.
Last weekend was a red letter/fish day. We'd had some light rain up in the hills and the river was slightly coloured. To quote a celebrity expert it was a fish a cast.

My experience is that recently it's picked up with respect to perch, chub, barbel and trout.

I'll be roving the bank this weekend, just to make sure last weekend wasn't just luck!

john hooper

Reaction score

just discovered this forum, things are a bit slow so how about getting it going with regular posts up to the end of the season.I fish the doveridge section reguarly , in fact i will be there saturday for another go. so far i have caught some good chub ,perch, trout and plenty of grayling as well as some big pike in the (distant) past. What i carn't buy to save my life is a barbel, i know they are there, i talk to people who have caught plenty but i am obviously doing something wrong somewhere, however carn't complain as i always seem to bag something.

john hooper

john hooper

Reaction score

tommorrow is a non starter river level at 2.1meters and rising steeply, could gert close to record levels(just over 2,8 meters), the river would be pretty scarey at that level, unfishable apart from a couple of swims.

john

Last edited:

john hooper

Reaction score

dove finally back to normal levels, took about 60 hours after saturdays high, keep my fingers crosed for next weekend.

john

john hooper

Reaction score

peter, you don't realise how lucky you are living down there surrounded by good barbel waters, we have some good fish in the dove but they are indeed few and far between the further you get from the trent.

john

valleybrown

Reaction score

peter, you don't realise how lucky you are living down there surrounded by good barbel waters, we have some good fish in the dove but they are indeed few and far between the further you get from the trent.

john

Although I'm not allowed to mention it (apparently it is a hanging offence) as our game fishing coleagues will tell you there's only trout in the Dove above Doveridge :eek:mg:
However, I've found some great chub, grayling, perch and pike between Doveridge and Rocester :eek:
Oops I said it :p

Oh them pesky course fish:rolleyes:

john hooper

Reaction score

was on the river on friday and spent most of the session trotting for not much reward, just one trout banked and what felt like a goodish grayling lost.Moved swim for the last couple of hours and caught 4 perch on lobworm best about the 2lb mark but lost a much larger fish to much cursing. The day was blessed with some hailstorms so heavy i couldn't hear myself think under my brolly. Back tomorrow for another go.

john

valleybrown

Reaction score

Ouch:eek:
That hail was bad.

Fantastic day today though. A bit chilly, clear blue skies and the river was on fire. Chub were really feeding today, grayling were feeding in the slightly faster water and a couple of pesky trout.;)

I never knew there were so many chub in the river that only has trout in it:wh

Had a great day out.