Carp Angling?

noknot

Reaction score
Now as FM is a general fishing forum, and a good one in my opinion, what do you guy's think of Carp Angling today? I know that there are many that hate Carp Anglers, so I would like to know why?

Also Carp Angling has changed so much in recent years, it just seems every one and their Dog start with Carp and overlook the other fantastic species!
Who is to blame, the press or the tackle Industry or heavily force feed stocked muddy puddles, when will this end if ever, I really believe there are fishers of Carp, and pure Carp anglers.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Just like any other aspect of angling, there's good and bad. Unfortunately, as its popularity increases/increased, the more numerous both good and bad become. Not surprisingly, those on the outside tend to focus on the bad and tar the rest with the same broad brush.

As for the way many start with big carp tactics and ignore anything else, it saddens me that so many haven't got any idea how to fish a float. However, it's them that are missing out. I don't blame anyone in particular for that particular ill of modern carp angling. I'll chalk it down to an element of human nature for the desire to catch the biggest fish and as many as possible that means that carp are the start and end for some anglers. But, ultimately, as long as they are happy doing what they do, and don't cause problems for others, good luck to them.

B

binka

I know that there are many that hate Carp Anglers, so I would like to know why?

I don't hate them as such but on my local club water it's damned irritating that you can't get into any of the corner pegs because Carp anglers are covering the swims from three swims away with a fan of lines and bait, if they want to fish those swims they should sit in 'em!

The annual AGM is coming up in January and it will be one of the hot topics.

I can't really call it a firm objection but when you're watching your waggler next to a nice patch of lillies in the summer, peace and bliss all around you it then drives me up the wall listening to the endless bleeping of bite alarms going off and being set, and re-set... and re-set... and...

Right, i'm off to put on my flame suit... :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Well here's what they thought about it in 1953 - night fishing for carp? - on the radio? - millions of listeners? - whatever next;)
Jerry
PS Click on the image then agin on the + sign to make it big.

e15fsi.jpg

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've no problems with Carp anglers in general.
I've had experience a carp angler "taking over" half a small lake on a holiday complex once (it was a small holiday complex with 6 log cabins and a small lake for those on the site to fish) The lake was small enough to cast from one side to the other and he took up the top half of the lake, bivvied up and stayed put for the week.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I know that there are many that hate Carp Anglers, so I would like to know why?

I doubt many "hate" Carp anglers any more than Barbel anglers or Game anglers, like any group there are always a minority who are intolerent to anyone whose opinion is not exactly the same as their own. I know Carp anglers who only fish in France because they do not consider the fish here to be of a sufficient standard. Alternatively the son of a friend and match fisherman has spent the best part of last week "bivvied up" in sub-zero temperatures on the bank of a pool catching three carp to a mere 18lb. I admire his dedication even if I am not about to follow his lead.
I would suspect that most of us respect another angler's right to fish for whatever he chooses and by his own preferred method. Any animosity is probably reserved for those whose idea of a Carp angler is the guy on the commercial hauling out F1s on 3lb TC rods and 20lb line who is the first to advise us "You'll never do any good with one float rod on here mate"

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I just find any single-species approach a bit strange. If 80% of anglers only fished for perch i would feel the same about that - dont they get bored targeting and catching perch all the time?. Add to this that in many waters the carp are ugly with disfigured mouths or are grossly overweight and that you are surrounded by dozens of anglers all fishing for the same fish and all in more or less precisely the same way ..it would drive me nuts to only do that week after week.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Looks like we are straying down the grey area of differing definitions again. "Carping" and "commercials" are being used by some in a way that I don't recognise.

terry m

Reaction score
Not sure that I hate any group of anglers, hate is a pretty strong word.

I dislike, perhaps intensely dislike inconsiderate anglers, whatever their quarry.

Like previous posts I may struggle to understand the attraction of certain types of angling, but that is a personal issue.

Perhaps it is inflammatory, but by virtue of the fact that there are probably more carp anglers than other types of anglers, then it follows that there are vcery likely to be more inconsiderate carp anglers.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more with Sam for once (or twice).

The following from Jack Hargreaves says it all for me:

"What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?"

barbelboi

Reaction score
Bernard Venables once stated many years ago-
'It must be said of the modern carp fisher merely that he is present when his big carp is caught. He sets up his rods in their rests and connects them to the electrical bite alarms. Now, with his boilies out, work done for the time being, the angler retires to sleep. In due course the bite alarm's note wakes him; a carp has picked up one of his boilies, thus hooking itself, with no need for striking. Back to work - he must pick up his rod. He is successful. Angling magazines are constantly full of photographs of successful anglers, the photographs being all-but identical'.
Jerry
PS Some things don't change;)

Simon K

Reaction score
Now as FM is a general fishing forum, and a good one in my opinion, what do you guy's think of Carp Angling today? I know that there are many that hate Carp Anglers, so I would like to know why?

Also Carp Angling has changed so much in recent years, it just seems every one and their Dog start with Carp and overlook the other fantastic species!
Who is to blame, the press or the tackle Industry or heavily force feed stocked muddy puddles, when will this end if ever, I really believe there are fishers of Carp, and pure Carp anglers.

Whether people like it or not, if you took away carp angling and all of its contribution to the current industry, angling would be close to collapse.
Many (if not most) of recent tackle innovations have come from the "carp side".
More investment is probably made in carp angling than for any other branch of the hobby. It drives the whole industry.

"Instant" anglers are going to be attracted to carp fishing 1. because the "instant" kit is freely available. 2. because carp fisheries are plentiful. 3. because they have pictures of huge carp thrust in their faces from all directions once they decide to take the plunge.

I'd guess the majority of those who start this way fall to the wayside after a relatively short while and neither progress nor even continue fishing.

Those "pure" carp anglers probably had a more traditional start to their angling and subsequently made their choice.

On the whole, modern, devoted carp angling is probably a younger anglers game (bivvies, long sessions).

Personally, I enjoy my carping as part of my overall angling season and I tend to fish harder waters for them, Big Pits, canals/rivers, more of a challenge.

I didn't start fishing by learning the float (I'm still pretty rubbish at it), but that hasn't stopped me targeting multiple species using a wide variety of legering techniques and I'm fairly proud of what I've achieved in terms of specimen fish.

I think it's a nonsense to attempt to dictate how people should start their angling, more important is how much they enjoy it, which may lead to other species, but there's no reason why it has to. That's all down to the individual.

cg74

Reaction score
Bernard Venables once stated many years ago-
'It must be said of the modern carp fisher merely that he is present when his big carp is caught. He sets up his rods in their rests and connects them to the electrical bite alarms. Now, with his boilies out, work done for the time being, the angler retires to sleep. In due course the bite alarm's note wakes him; a carp has picked up one of his boilies, thus hooking itself, with no need for striking. Back to work - he must pick up his rod. He is successful. Angling magazines are constantly full of photographs of successful anglers, the photographs being all-but identical'.
Jerry
PS Some things don't change;)

Bernard Venables, hmmm, wasn't his favourite species perch; a species that once found offers just one challenge - avoiding deep hooking the delightful things.:wh
You haven't even got to consider bait selection the greedy ******s can't resist worms or livebaits.

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

Whether people like it or not, if you took away carp angling and all of its contribution to the current industry, angling would be close to collapse.
Many (if not most) of recent tackle innovations have come from the "carp side".
More investment is probably made in carp angling than for any other branch of the hobby. It drives the whole industry.

"Instant" anglers are going to be attracted to carp fishing 1. because the "instant" kit is freely available. 2. because carp fisheries are plentiful. 3. because they have pictures of huge carp thrust in their faces from all directions once they decide to take the plunge.

I'd guess the majority of those who start this way fall to the wayside after a relatively short while and neither progress nor even continue fishing.

Those "pure" carp anglers probably had a more traditional start to their angling and subsequently made their choice.

On the whole, modern, devoted carp angling is probably a younger anglers game (bivvies, long sessions).

Personally, I enjoy my carping as part of my overall angling season and I tend to fish harder waters for them, Big Pits, canals/rivers, more of a challenge.

I didn't start fishing by learning the float (I'm still pretty rubbish at it), but that hasn't stopped me targeting multiple species using a wide variety of legering techniques and I'm fairly proud of what I've achieved in terms of specimen fish.

I think it's a nonsense to attempt to dictate how people should start their angling, more important is how much they enjoy it, which may lead to other species, but there's no reason why it has to. That's all down to the individual.

Absolutely spot on there Si.

I've done the angling apprenticeship thing and can honestly say, if I had my time again and I could skip the catching of minnows, bleak, gudgeon, dace etc
without a second thought - I would.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Bernard Venables, hmmm, wasn't his favourite species perch; a species that once found offers just one challenge - avoiding deep hooking the delightful things.:wh
You haven't even got to consider bait selection the greedy ******s can't resist worms or livebaits.

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

What makes you think that? he was a member of the famous Carp Catchers Club:wh.
Jerry

noknot

Reaction score
"What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?"

Very nice, and I respect the Man greatly!
However, I know many ways to snare a Carp, be it in the margin, or the margin of an Island 100yrd's away, so deffo not one way!

I started as abitsa angler, happy to catch whatever came along, then I started to target certain Species...............So that mad me a specimen angler, even though at the time, I was un aware of this!

Years of bits and happy with anything changed! I caught my first ever Tench!
So from then Tench mad! Until I saw a Carp on the bank!

I was in awe, I had to catch Carp from that day!
No mean feat back in the day! But Catch I would, I must!

And Catch I did, and 30 years since the first Carp 17.8lds from a massive pit, the flame is so strong!
Forget the Pasty farm ponds, but there are real waters out there, for people that still have the chase in their blood!

Is that not the essence of Carp Angling?

NK.

Philip

Reaction score
Thing is I recon there has been a bit of a shift in goals. While in days gone by people joined angling primarily for the angling aspect, I think today allot of people are joining the sport for purposes other than just catching fish. They want to get away, put up their tent with their mates, have a few beers and be a boy scout for a few days. While they are at it they chuck out some rods at the same time but the angling is perhaps not the main reason they are there. The modern Carp scene suits that perfectly.

Put it this way ...Camping and fishing are basically coming together. A busy commercial carp lake in summer nowadays resembles a Campsite with a lake thrown in ! While that might not be your cup of tea it DOES appeal to allot of people..

Is this bad ? ...well that depends on your perspective. If you insist on going to the worst examples of these places and want to have a tranquil day casting out your crowquill to a idyllic set of Lilly pads then your going to be disappointed! Of course we can also all happen across an idiot minority spoiling it for everyone on any lake, but but dont try and tell me there are not tons (tons!) of waters open to all where the general angler can have a nice day away from it all.

Finally as someone else mentioned...keep in mind its the newbie Carper-Campers that are keeping the sport alive so don't be too hard on them.

Last edited:

noknot

Reaction score
Good points as always Philip, also there are more benefits............Cheap 2nd hand tackle, as these new boys give up after six months because they find out that in reallity, Carp angling is not 5 30's and a 40 per night as they are brainwashed in to thinking by the media, and secondly, it keeps them away from the more difficult propa Carp waters where I will be fishing, a different game indeed, stacked full farm ponds, or mature huge low stocked pits, now that's Carp Angling IMO!