Dorset Stour - Throop and Lower Stour

andyj1945

Reaction score
Water hieght at it's highest since 1979. Again the caravan park has been evacuated and itis unlikely anyone will be allowed back in the next couple of days.
As for fishing, the water will not be within it's banks for sometime and it will be extreemly dangerous to even go near it for sometime. Levels are approx 1.5 / 2.0 mtrs above normal. Will advise when it has got back to a fishable level. Even then the banks will be very slippy and undercut.

AndyJ:mad:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Water hieght at it's highest since 1979. Again the caravan park has been evacuated and itis unlikely anyone will be allowed back in the next couple of days.
As for fishing, the water will not be within it's banks for sometime and it will be extreemly dangerous to even go near it for sometime. Levels are approx 1.5 / 2.0 mtrs above normal. Will advise when it has got back to a fishable level. Even then the banks will be very slippy and undercut.

AndyJ:mad:

When I fish rivers that have reputations for undercuts I wear a auto life jacket. When I fished the LODDEN many years ago the bailiff on that water advised me to do so as they had lost a angler to a undercut bank. I have also been told stories about the Teme by local people about local children being lost though the same situation . Better safe than sorry when fishing rivers that have been in flood . Undercuts can go back many feet not just a couple be aware.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Absolutely sound advice. particularly on rivers (similar to the Loddon) with it's twisting nature which causes the water, which rises after a teaspoon of rain, to flush undercuts on bends (among other places!).
Generally speaking it is a very narrow river so when it rises the water speed can be staggering and very damaging so great care is needed!!!

Personally, I stay well away when in it's in flood.....

barbelboi

Reaction score
The Loddon is a great river to fish while rising for barbel if your timing's right - sound advice regarding flood conditions though.................

lambert1

Reaction score
Thanks for the warning Tee Cee, the Loddon is my local river and to be honest I had abandoned any idea of going there until the levels have gone down as it looks dangerous to say the least!:(

mick b

Reaction score
Thanks Andy.

Had a couple of hours on the Test today and it rose 2" in that short time.
The river was within its banks but the fields behind were 1/2mile wide in places:eek:mg:

Never had a bite so a week for more decorating me thinks :eek:mg:

andyj1945

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just a quick update, the water levels on Throop are varying around 1.44 metres on the gauge at the weir. This means that the actual levels are such that the fishery is completely flooded and no access possible. It needs to drop to 1.0 metres on the gauge to make some carefull access feasible.. Some way off yet, withe Avon at record flood levels also. Stay safe and don't become a statistic!!! :eek:mg::mad:

andyj1945

Reaction score
A rapid run off has happened, some of our guys have fished today but no reports of catches. However idiots in canoes were chancing their necks , H:eek:mg:eek:pe they can swim. They were of course paddling where they shouldn't have been, way above the limit of legal navigation.

lambert1

Reaction score
You have to feel for the already over stretched emergency services when clowns like that are out and about doing daft things in the floods. There have been quite a few examples on the news as well. For those whose homes and livelihoods have been affected it must be very galling as well.:(

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I had occasion to go to Windsor today and the Thames was just unbelievable. The car park which I normally use was underwater & closed. The Jubilee river is doing its job keeping keeping the toffs gardens further upstream dry but the water has to go somewhere.....still some goons sending their dogs into it though.

andyj1945

Reaction score
River is just about within its winter range but the flow is still too much. Colour not bad, if the rain finally eases down then next week should see it fishable with care. Will keep in touch.
Andy

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Thanks for the update.

I've been watching closely hoping to get down there. Maybe, just maybe, next Wednesday or Thursday but with more heavy rain today it's doubtful.

I'm missing my chub fishing!

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Neil. You could always get a boat and try and get within 1/2 mile of the Loddon!!!!!!!:mad:

andyj1945

Reaction score
Whoops! River up 1/2 metre this morning and still rising, sorry folks back to plan B (stay in doors)

cb_1948

Reaction score
River is still well up at Throop. Managed to find a couple of fishable swims yesterday on Beat 3. Really hard work and despite 6 hours fishing, both myself and my son blanked.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The Hampshire Avon in and around Salisbury is also well over the fields in most places.
A little higher up around Amesbury it is just within the banks, but where I live in Durrington it is over 1½ fields across the other side of the road.

With more rain having fallen at the weekend I very much doubt if the river will be back inside its banks for a good while yet.

andyj1945

Reaction score
Have just returned from walking beat 3, have to report that it is only just fishable in a very few spots. Still boring through and some colour but slacks forming in a few plces. More rain forcast untill tomorrow morning will bring it back up again. Some fish have been caught but the banks are extremely slippery and dangerouse. If you go out stay safe. Good luck.

andyj1945

Reaction score
Hi all, The water conditions stay much the same but Temp. down to 42 degrees.
More rain coming in at present and through the night and most of tomorrow so not much change in the prospects for the forseable future. Watch this space.

andyj1945

Reaction score
Just back from a couple of hours on beat 3, 4 cheb, nothing over 3lbs. Caught on worm fished on a long tail to allow the bait to 'waft about' tight to the bank. Water still up and pushing but not so bad as recently.