A basic,quality, tough UMBRELLA !!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Had a look through all the old Threads on the subject, but nothing stands out as ideal....

All I want is a top quality STANDARD UMBRELLA........NOT a shelter or anything similar, just a standard roll up brolly BUT one that will last!!

Price is not an issue and even weight (probably) has to take a back seat as aluminium frames don't seem to last (from what I've heard)..

You know the situation; Out for a few hours and it comes on to rain, so out with the brolly stick, push it into the ground and stick the brolliy on it. Quick and easy !!

Any takers with 'hands on' recommendataions please ????

B

binka

Another vote for the Korum here.

The removable pole annoys the cr@p out of me as I find it difficult to relocate in the additional thread to give you the angle tilt but the whole thing's pretty bullet proof, I fished throughout the many gales last winter with the broily repeatedly getting blown inside out and each time it returned to its original shape no worse for wear thanks to the rather clever Velcro spoke retainers that will give and come apart in order to be re-fastened as opposed to the stitched retainers which would have torn.

Rickrod

Reaction score
You might want to avoid waterline fibre-lite £55. It looks like a tough umbrella but the first time it rained mine leaked badly through one of the seams. E-mailed the company they didn't want to know"we don't deal with the public", it now makes a good wind break.

chub 79

Reaction score
Another vote for the korum brolly from me, had mine for 4 years and it has never let me down. It can also withstand some seriously strong winds as I found out whilst chubbing on the ouse last winter

barbelboi

Reaction score
As I've mentioned before the Korum for me too, a few years old now and still going strong.........

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I have a Korum too and very good it is at keeping the rain off BUT in a bit of a wind a week or so ago a gust caught it and the main pole bent like butter at ground level. I straightened it as best I could but it's basically had it. I shall replace it with a solid Gardner spike.

Slightly disappointed by this but otherwise its a decent bit of kit. I might add that this was a particularly awkward wind that was quite strong,gusting all o'er the place and basically blowing into me so it was difficult to get the brolly "set" properly. Can't have helped.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Another Korum user here. Good, solid brolly only let down by the annoying method of swapping the pole to the other position. I'm sure they could have come up with a better thread than the one used.

I have also drilled a couple of holes in the spike so that the retaining screw grips solidly.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Once my good old fashioned Wavelock Nubrolly finally gave up the ghost, I bought a bog standard Team Daiwa black brolly. It seemed so flimsy in comparison that I didn't see it lasting much more than a year or two. I have to admit that it hasn't seen too much use in the last couple of years now I don't do too much match style fishing. However, it was bought well over ten years ago and is still going strong. For a match style brolly, it's been excellent. Whether the latest variations are anywhere near as good is another matter entirely.

terry m

Reaction score
An alternative view on the Korum 50" here.

It's large size catches the wind and is easily turned inside out, due mainly (IMO) to the non-metallic ribs that are far too pliant.

Additionally the centre top boss holds the inner reach of the ribs in a tight circle with a very basic ring of twisted wire, an inadequate design.

muttgooner

Reaction score
If your looking for something tough and are not worried about the weight have a look at the Waterline Brolly. I bought one a few years ago on the advice of the guy in the shop I was in. I didn't like the look of it, it is heavy and appears to be pvc coated fabric but has proven to be extremely tough and a very good buy.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
An alternative view on the Korum 50" here.

It's large size catches the wind and is easily turned inside out, due mainly (IMO) to the non-metallic ribs that are far too pliant.

Additionally the centre top boss holds the inner reach of the ribs in a tight circle with a very basic ring of twisted wire, an inadequate design.

Have to agree with it catching the wind easily as that's basically what did for my spike.Its still the best brolly I've ever owned and the first one that I can get myself,chair and all me gear under AND stay dry in heavy rain. Its not perfect...but its not half bad either.

barbelboi

Reaction score
The flimsy spikes that appear to come with most brollies are a cost effective mistake IMO. I bought a solid spike many brollies ago and bin the hollow cr@p that comes with the new ones.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
S-Kippy....and this is the 50" jobie is it, or does it have a specific name??

Korum seems to get good overall comments, as long as one doesn't sit in the wind too often!!

As if I would sit in rain AND wind!!

Thanks for the response everybody......it could just be my birthday pressie!!

ps I take the solid spike comments on board.....................................

barbelboi

Reaction score
Those of us with forethought have our brollies with the wind at their backs - they don't tend to blow inside out then................;)

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I just bought the cheapest i could find at a local Argos. It represented a quantum leap improvement over the 20yr old torn and frumpy old piece of **** that i had been using - the type where you have to fight with it to open or close it, and the notion of it having an extendable pole was about as accurate as it having zero mass.

The bad one

Reaction score
I’ve three currently usable brollies. A Daiwa, think it's 60 inch, with storm sides that takes an over wrap which I use for overnighters when tenching.
A 50 inch Waverlock that I use for short walk general Stillwater fishing.
And a very light cheapo 45 inch for use on the river and the long walks. This one is a conglomeration of other brollies I’ve had down the years and bits I’ve found. The cover I refitted from a brand new brolly I found on a local reservoir that had snapped on the plastic fitting tilt mechanism and just thrown away. It was in excellent condition not a mark on it, so home the lot went and I cannibalised the cover off it and on to a cheapo light metal spoked 45 inch framed it went.
That was 6 years ago and it’s been out on the river in some of the most foul weather imaginable and it’s still going strong.

My preference is also for the detachable central pole that can be moved to the back of the brolly giving more space under it. But to stabilise it and stop the twisting on the central pole in the wind, I always put one storm pole on the windward twisting edge. AND use the guide ropes at the back to peg it down. By doing this, the brolly becomes a very solid structure indeed in very heavy winds.

Last edited:

russell_bush

Reaction score
Re: the solid aluminium Gardner threaded brolly spike/pole. I must have had mine 25 years, and it's outlived many brollies without any mishap to itself. Worth it's weight in gold.

maverick 7

Reaction score
Once my good old fashioned Wavelock Nubrolly finally gave up the ghost, I bought a bog standard Team Daiwa black brolly. It seemed so flimsy in comparison that I didn't see it lasting much more than a year or two. I have to admit that it hasn't seen too much use in the last couple of years now I don't do too much match style fishing. However, it was bought well over ten years ago and is still going strong. For a match style brolly, it's been excellent. Whether the latest variations are anywhere near as good is another matter entirely.

Totally agree with Sam....I have the exact same Team Daiwa black brolly....the material is slightly "rubberised"....if that's the right word. In fact when I ran my tackle shop, the brolly was brought back by a customer...can't remember the reason but I returned it to Daiwa expecting them to totally replace it but all they did was send me the same brolly but repaired.

I had already given the customer a brand new one so I was left with a repaired one which I knew I couldn't sell....so I had it myself and that was about 14 years ago and it is still going strong. It has now got a few pinholes in it but not big enough for the rain to get through..it also has a solid bankstick so no chance of it bending in the wind.

It has been by far the best brolly I have ever had...brilliant bit of kit.

Maverick

flightliner

Reaction score
I have two, one massive thing whos name escapes me, bought from climax about ten years ago for the odd overnighter, but my old wavelock just wouldnt die until some five years back.
I bought a fairly cheaper , smaller one for general use from Bennetts in sheffield shortly afterwards and its done yeoman service, overall it has been a pretty good buy for the money, sadly Bennetts are no longer trading.