Bait runner features vs back wind

fishperch

Reaction score
Hi guys, none of my reels have a bait runner feature, so would the back wind work as an alternative? Also would you recommend a front or rear drag on a freshwater reel? ( i currently have only rear drags

The Sogster

Reaction score
If your rod has a line clip, open the bail arm and put the line in there. This will work like a freespool i.e giving line on the take.

If it's windy or the line comes off the spool with the bail arm open, place a large elastic band over the spool. It will ping off on the take. Luckily the posties leave loads everywhere.

Similarly if your rod doesn't have a line clip roll a rubber band over the handle up to just onto the blank, place a match/ toothpick in this and use as a line clip.

Reaction score
If your rod has a line clip, open the bail arm and put the line in there. This will work like a freespool i.e giving line on the take.

If it's windy or the line comes off the spool with the bail arm open, place a large elastic band over the spool. It will ping off on the take. Luckily the posties leave loads everywhere.

Similarly if your rod doesn't have a line clip roll a rubber band over the handle up to just onto the blank, place a match/ toothpick in this and use as a line clip.
yes indeed mate or use a solar 'strong arm' line clip that fits on the rod

when my freespools break down I will be getting cheaper normal reels without them and going back to the 'churner' method

in answer to the original thread: it doesn't matter if they are front or rear drag adjust but I would say that a front adjust is a bit easier during the fight, or just lock the spool up and backwind play is another option of course which seems to have gone out of fashion

law

Reaction score
Just loosen the drag.
Once you get a take, tighten the clutch as you pick up the rod before striking.
I used backwind for a years, then went to using the drag. It's there to save you the work, so use it!

fishperch

Reaction score
Just loosen the drag. Once you get a take, tighten the clutch as you pick up the rod before striking. I used backwind for a years, then went to using the drag. It's there to save you the work, so use it!
yeah thanks I have worked it out nowadays thanks

wanderer

Reaction score
The baitrunner facility is designed for carp fishing and has nothing to do with playing fish, the clutch is a separate entity to enable fish to be tired out against a controlled resistance. Front or back, is a preference, backwind, difficult with the faster species and carp and cats can outrun your backwind speed, bruised knuckles hurt use the clutch, as for allowing the reel to backwind on take, modern reels can overrun and you can end up with the rod dragged in, the old Mitchell 300s were perfect for this method, but long live the baitrunner.