Uploading Photos

cal_sutt

Reaction score
I've been trying to upload a few photos from my phone and it just keeps saying they are too big. I then tried uploading with a link from dropbox but then all I ended up with in my gallery was a load of thumbnail icons?

Is there a site I can scale down my images, as such, so that the file size is correct and I can successfully upload images to my gallery?

mick b

Reaction score
I've been trying to upload a few photos from my phone and it just keeps saying they are too big. I then tried uploading with a link from dropbox but then all I ended up with in my gallery was a load of thumbnail icons?

Is there a site I can scale down my images, as such, so that the file size is correct and I can successfully upload images to my gallery?

I gave up yonks ago, if I cant cut&paste I keep my pics to myself :eek:mg:

cal_sutt

Reaction score
I gave up yonks ago, if I cant cut&paste I keep my pics to myself :eek:mg:

I've managed to upload photos from my phone to dropbox, then add them into threads/posts using the insert image and the URL of the original image. I'm just gonna give up with the gallery, it's not happening :(

sam vimes

Reaction score
Use a picture hosting site, such as picturetrail, photobucket etc etc.

406900157.jpg

mick b

Reaction score
Sam,
From what I read, if a pic is loaded onto those sites they become open access to anyone on t he 'net, Id prefer to keep mine for those members of the forum.

Yes I know they can still be accessed, but I don't like the unrestricted part of it.

Q: That fish got a problem or you trying to put a finger up its jacksy :eek:mg:

:D

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam,
From what I read, if a pic is loaded onto those sites they become open access to anyone on t he 'net, Id prefer to keep mine for those members of the forum.

Yes I know they can still be accessed, but I don't like the unrestricted part of it.

Q: That fish got a problem or you trying to put a finger up its jacksy :eek:mg:

:D

They don't become open access unless you post them to the web, usually via forums. Posting them on a forum, even if not from a hosting site, renders them equally open access. It really makes no practical difference. Would I post somehow sensitive or commercially valuable pictures via a hosting site? No. Would I post them to a forum? No.

I'd need bloody long fingers to get them up its jacksy from the position my hands are in. You do have a vivid, and slightly paranoid, imagination.

Last edited:

mick b

Reaction score
Cheers Sam,

I will give it a go......;bp

Paranoid, no I don't suffer from them :eek:mg:

hyperdrive

Reaction score
These hosting sites are pretty much open access for the world to see, not all forums allow pictures to be viewed by the world, there is a forum I visit that if you are not signed in then all pictures and some other features are hidden. You can read the posts but any pictures merely show the file name and you can upload your pictures direct from your PC. Perhaps this is something that could be done here if members wanted it.

sam vimes

Reaction score
These hosting sites are pretty much open access for the world to see, not all forums allow pictures to be viewed by the world, there is a forum I visit that if you are not signed in then all pictures and some other features are hidden. You can read the posts but any pictures merely show the file name and you can upload your pictures direct from your PC. Perhaps this is something that could be done here if members wanted it.

Try to find a specific photo on a hosting site without the owner posting a link! It's nigh on impossible. Besides, who in their right mind would put something on a hosting site, or a forum for that matter, that they would prefer to keep hidden? I can kind of understand the concern, but if you think about it, it's pointless. Only use the hosting sites for stuff you'd post on a forum and you've got little to worry about.

hyperdrive

Reaction score
Try to find a specific photo on a hosting site without the owner posting a link! It's nigh on impossible. Besides, who in their right mind would put something on a hosting site, or a forum for that matter, that they would prefer to keep hidden? I can kind of understand the concern, but if you think about it, it's pointless. Only use the hosting sites for stuff you'd post on a forum and you've got little to worry about.

You're right of course, no one (with any sense anyway) would put stuff on a hosting site that they didn't want the world to see, but there are people especially younger folk who were brought up in the interweb world that don't really think anything of it and will put nearly anything up.
To find pictures depends on how you search for them, how I discovered this (I'm no puter nerd by the way) I was reading someones twitter account and they had a link to a picture, as many do, I clicked on the link and sure enough the picture appeared. From there a little trial and error and I was very quickly looking at several peoples albums.
But as you say I put nothing on the internet that I would want to keep personal. cheers

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
You're right of course, no one (with any sense anyway) would put stuff on a hosting site that they didn't want the world to see, but there are people especially younger folk who were brought up in the interweb world that don't really think anything of it and will put nearly anything up.
To find pictures depends on how you search for them, how I discovered this (I'm no puter nerd by the way) I was reading someones twitter account and they had a link to a picture, as many do, I clicked on the link and sure enough the picture appeared. I then clicked on the guys name at top of the picture and low and behold their whole album was in front of me. Now from looking at that album and applying a little effort I could have found out where they live, I could see they had one or two valuable items etc. I am not that way inclined by the way. Just for fun I put someone elses' name into the search box and their album was there for me to see. If anyone had commented on a photo click the name of the commenter and you will get their album etc.
But as you say I put nothing on the internet that I would want to keep personal. cheers

Absolutely, you can't account for idiots. However, if you are just using it to host the odd forum picture, there's nothing to fear. I couldn't care less if someone wanted to rake through my album. A) I'd have to have posted a pic or link in the first place. B) They'd get to see some pictures of fish, fishing gear etc. The vast majority of them having been posted on forums anyway.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Use a picture hosting site, such as picturetrail, photobucket etc etc.

406900157.jpg

Sam be careful that if you use a phone to take photos that when you upload them it doesn't include the GPS data with the photo otherwise you may be revealing a secret spot. When I upload my photos to here it doesn't do that but I have read that some sites do.

Xif tags are the things you are looking for.

greenie62

Reaction score
Getting back to the original post:

I now use Faststone Photo Resizer (Free) - recommended elsewhere - download and install it from
FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...
- they also have some good, simple, image editing software free!

You can setup a sub-folder to accept your reduced resolution/resized images so that you don't lose your HiDefinition originals in case you want to print them later. :cool:

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
So I think your photo was taken with a canon power shot G6 Sam but I cannot find any GPS data in there

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

you can use Google image search and use another photo as the search criteria if you click the photo thing it lets you upload an image , it very often works , of course in this case , sods law , it just came up with a lot of very similar photos.

We used it on another forum point out to a guy that half his claimed catches were stock photos , usually from Wikipedia. Of course I am not implying anything of the sort here

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam be careful that if you use a phone to take photos that when you upload them it doesn't include the GPS data with the photo otherwise you may be revealing a secret spot. When I upload my photos to here it doesn't do that but I have read that some sites do.

Xif tags are the things you are looking for.

Benny, I wouldn't post a thing if I were that bothered. I was aware that mobiles (and some newer blingy cameras, I understand) usually tag photos with GPS data. The fact is that I generally don't post catch reports. I learned my lesson on that score several years ago. It doesn't even need to be anything as clever as GPS tagging that gives the game away, a bit of recognisable background can be more than enough. Those that go looking for clues can find them in the blandest of backgrounds.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Benny, I wouldn't post a thing if I were that bothered. I was aware that mobiles (and some newer blingy cameras, I understand) usually tag photos with GPS data. The fact is that I generally don't post catch reports. I learned my lesson on that score several years ago. It doesn't even need to be anything as clever as GPS tagging that gives the game away, a bit of recognisable background can be more than enough. Those that go looking for clues can find them in the blandest of backgrounds.

To be honest it only occurred to me a couple of months ago !

sam vimes

Reaction score
So I think your photo was taken with a canon power shot G6 Sam but I cannot find any GPS data in there

It certainly was taken with a G6, and I don't even own a G6!;):D
As I've said, I couldn't care less if anyone sees what's in my photohost account. It's used as a dump for nonsense I'd otherwise upload directly to a forum. If anyone is desperate enough to steal the photos, or rake through them to find a GPS location, good luck to them.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
It certainly was taken with a G6, and I don't even own a G6!;):D
As I've said, I couldn't care less if anyone sees what's in my photohost account. It's used as a dump for nonsense I'd otherwise upload directly to a forum. If anyone is desperate enough to steal the photos, or rake through them to find a GPS location, good luck to them.

As I said I only made the connection a few months ago and then had to check various photos , including a shot of my garden, to make sure I hadn't inadvertently left a location in there - you never know some fanatic might come knocking at your door.

sam vimes

Reaction score
As I said I only made the connection a few months ago and then had to check various photos , including a shot of my garden, to make sure I hadn't inadvertently left a location in there - you never know some fanatic might come knocking at your door.

I would never post a photo taken with a phone unless it was when out fishing. For that, and other reasons, I'm pretty sure I'm safe.

---------- Post added at 14:27 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

For those that are really worried about what their photo metadata may reveal.
PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor