FM River Wye Fish In. Any Interest?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
A massive thanks to Graham and his Wife Jane, Great hosts, Great food and drink.

Skippy and I got to Graham just after 8am, everyone else had just left, what happened to the 8 to 8.30 meet.

Thats was ok, Bacon rolls, Tea, and off to the water.

I had a good day, long walk to the end of the section to find a swim I liked, all the way back to my gear, only to walk the whole section again to the last but one swim. Fence's!! they don't have that many in the bloody Grand National.

Drove and fed Skippy, then let him have a fish in my swim, the result.

One Eel, that I had trouble to stop laughing at, to top it off it broke the hook link, some Bleak, and then he broke the hook link again on the rocks. Said thanks and left, my nightmare was over :D

I ended up with 10 Chub over 2lb, best couple getting close to 4lb. Two barbel, nothing big, around 5lb the best. Lots of Chublets, One Perch, Bleak and some Dace. Had a pike take a small Chub, and lost what i am sure was a Salmon.

Started the day on the stick float, and fed further out for the feeder later in the day.

I will go back, but I am not pulling Skippy's trolley, up Cardiac Hill again. Skippy took more bait home, than I took. It took me and Jimmy to pull his trolley up that hill, and i am not joking.

Great company and nice to see some new faces.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Good to meet up with you again Clarky, even though I had to sit next to you for dinner.....................;)

PS Don't forget to check out the Raspberry Surprise on Google......................:D

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
A massive thanks to Graham and his Wife Jane, Great hosts, Great food and drink.

Skippy and I got to Graham just after 8am, everyone else had just left, what happened to the 8 to 8.30 meet.

Thats was ok, Bacon rolls, Tea, and off to the water.

I had a good day, long walk to the end of the section to find a swim I liked, all the way back to my gear, only to walk the whole section again to the last but one swim. Fence's!! they don't have that many in the bloody Grand National.

Drove and fed Skippy, then let him have a fish in my swim, the result.

One Eel, that I had trouble to stop laughing at, to top it off it broke the hook link, some Bleak, and then he broke the hook link again on the rocks. Said thanks and left, my nightmare was over :D

I ended up with 10 Chub over 2lb, best couple getting close to 4lb. Two barbel, nothing big, around 5lb the best. Lots of Chublets, One Perch, Bleak and some Dace. Had a pike take a small Chub, and lost what i am sure was a Salmon.

Started the day on the stick float, and fed further out for the feeder later in the day.

I will go back, but I am not pulling Skippy's trolley, up Cardiac Hill again. Skippy took more bait home, than I took. It took me and Jimmy to pull his trolley up that hill, and i am not joking.

Great company and nice to see some new faces.

He's not joking either. No way I could have got that trolley back up. Not so sure Jimmy was that impressed by Clarky harnessing him to it. Still....we waved at them both as we cruised past in Rog's Range Rover. Jimmy was probably still thinking about his injury time barbel.

The Eel episode was hysterical. I could not believe it after getting one on the LIF and I honestly thought Ray was going to fall in laughing. If he had the bleak would've stripped him to the bone inside a minute.

I can't wait to have another crack at it....But with a bit more water, a lot less sun and a very lot less canoes. Most were well behaved but there's always a few knobs. Not unlike your typical Fish In I guess.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Just got back home. Roger, Jimmy and I stayed overnight, had a sumptuous breakfast and fished it again today.

Totally different conditions today, river obviously still very low and clear but overcast, showers and low pressure... the fish responded!

I've got a few images from both days to sort out and will post later but yesterday I trotted for about 5 hours and had upwards of 40 chub. One, maybe two might have topped 1lb but all the others were ounces. Double corn was to their liking :eek:

Today I had 5 barbel and 3 chub in the first hour and followed up with several more as the afternoon drifted by. I felt rather generous to my chauffeur and his son and let them fish MY SWIM whilst I topped up with food and water. They both had 2 barbel!

16 barbel to almost 8lbs and 8 chub to 4lbs+ came from that single swim today :) :wh

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Good to meet up with you again Clarky, even though I had to sit next to you for dinner.....................;)

PS Don't forget to check out the Raspberry Surprise on Google......................:D

Good to see you again Jerry, I didn't want to sit next to you, but it was the only seat left at the table ;):D.

Come on Jerry, who have the gooners got on the radar to buy ?? they need someone to keep Wilshire company on the treatment table :eek:mg::D

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
These are from Saturday's effort.

Both Ray and I made the long walk from the bottom right to the top of the fishery, in Ray's case the top most swim. But it was worth it as he had good day with lots of chublets, dace and a nice perch before switching to the feeder. He then found a couple of nice little barbel and some cracking chub.

Ray1_600_x_450_.jpg

View image in gallery

ray2_600_x_450_.jpg

View image in gallery

ray3_600_x_450_.jpg

View image in gallery

ray4_600_x_450_.jpg

View image in gallery

Last cast Jimmy had a nice 7lb+ barbel just as I arrived back at the car on Saturday evening.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Sunday was a much more productive day despite sitting through several rain showers.

A dainty little fighter but this is my first ever Wye barbel and arrived within 5 minutes of making the first cast :)

I went on to catch several more including a few bruisers. I weighed one which was just short of 8lbs.

Huge thanks to Graham for his wise and experienced words which gave me much more than a hint of how to tackle the swim. His advice was absolutely spot on :)

Roger also got into the act with two sparklers in quick succession.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
What a difference a day makes. We were 24 hours too early.....or the cloud was 24 hours late. I'd feel bad if I hadn't fished my nuts off to Graham's satisfaction. All you can do is be there ...I can't catch fish that aren't there or won't feed. Personally I reckon the low water and bright sun had sent all the fish in my swim down to the shade in the pegs below....which is where Andy fished on Saturday and where it looks like Neil or Rog fished today. Well done lads....lovely fish.

I've already booked the Chinook for another go ! I've a stone of pellets to use up !

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Thank you all for coming along and the kind words from all.

I must have bored everybody by saying how badly it was fishing on our Fish In day. Quite frankly I was a bit embarassed. I do know it was all down to the weather.

I was really impressed how hard everyone fished to try a wrinkle the odd fish out.
Even putting S-Kippy in my banker swim didn't work out. However he persevered all day fishing well with no reward. I'm so glad he managed an eel later on....

I needed to leave the crowd earlier to cook the evening grub so apologies if I didn't get to dsay goodbye to everyone.

It was simply the bloody hot, high pressure that killed it.

I did tell the dynamic trio as they left this morning .....it will be a very different day today......and it was. In fact it was

FISHING MAGIC.

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
But with a bit more water, a lot less sun and a very lot less canoes. Most were well behaved but there's always a few knobs. Not unlike your typical Fish In I guess.
It was the sheer quantity that peed me of, because I was fishing right across I had to reel in for every canoe.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
It was the sheer quantity that peed me of, because I was fishing right across I had to reel in for every canoe.

At least you could see the bar$tards coming, Andy ! As you know I was tucked in a gap in the trees and had to rely on the proximity & volume of the hooting and hollering to know when to expect one [or five !]

I was seriously tempted to stick on an even bigger feeder and shell one of the suckers !

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
After taking out drinks cost we did this

Yes. The school holidays started. Much worse upstream at symmonds yat and on the

GUC.

Rog Hill

Reaction score
Even with the challenge of high pressure, low water and the very bright conditions the fish-in still rates as one of the best I've attended. The superb hosting and food together with the excellent company Graham and Jane provided, enhanced by a great get together and chinwag in the evening, more than made up for a less than normal catch rate on the Saturday.

Staying to fish the stretch again on the Sunday was also a bonus, as this time with better weather conditions we started to see the true potential of this fishery, as can be seen by Neil's post above. Only downside to the weekend was yet again being outfished by Jimmy. Next time I tie his rigs I think I'll use the well trusted one turn grinner !

Looking forward to our winter outing at LIF and meeting up again, and also hopefully coming back to the Wye next year.

Thanks to Graham once again for all his hard work and making such a memorable fish-in.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Rog,

Has Jimmy got over pulling Skippy's trolley up the hill with me ?? The poor lad was puffing like mad, as I was.

The evening was great to sit and have a chat, not just about fishing. Great company, we need to do this again, before next year.

Rog Hill

Reaction score
Ray, for a relatively young guy he's definitely out of shape. Sport to Jimmy is supping a few pints throwing darts, supping a few pints whilst 10 pin bowling, supping a couple over a game of snooker, and oh the real fat burner, sitting behind his rod. Pulling Skippy's kitchen sink really felled him. Good to see though.

sagalout

Reaction score
I dunno, what hill this you're all on about, I drove to river and back home, I didn't see any hill :wh

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I can only echo all the complementary comments. The hostility provided by Graham and Jane was second to none (and that is an understatement).

The organisation and preparation for the actual days fishing was exceptional. Everything was just right except the prevailing conditions and no-one can control that. At the risk of repeating myself in response to Graham's "apologies" throughout Saturday, we are all experienced anglers who know the score and the effect such conditions have on our sport. And yet there were still some fine fish caught.

Even if Roger, Jimmy and I had not fished on the Sunday (in totally different weather conditions), we would still be saying the same complimentary things. It was one of the best and most enjoyable FM "days out"!

I will also say, to further embarrass Graham, his generosity of detail and information about how to approach the fishery was superb. I was able to take advantage on Sunday and after about and hour or so I sat there thinking "yes, that all makes sense now and Graham was absolutely spot on".