How did you get on?

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I like that! Where is the " like" button? Rudd are a really beautiful fish!

Yes the lack of the Like Button had been noticed have we upset someone or is it a tes*icle foulup .

PG ...

---------- Post added at 23:06 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

Fished my local canal today twice out this afternoon but kids making it a pain so came home for a bite and a cuppa back on the water for 18:30 same spot no sprogs this time , the Perch were on form tonight i gave up counting at 50 then i got one of those tugs on the line makes you think ayeup whats this .

It turned out to be yet another Perch but a monster well over 3lbs few more in the 6 to 8 oz range then another one of those tugs this one was more like a dang whale must have been an easy 5lbs probably closer to 6 thats my perch PB up to today blown well and truly out of the tenth floor window was 2.5lbs for a good while .
Strangley though no Rudd to be had recently .

Club pool tomorow see what it is like hopefully in decent shape now ..

PG ...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Well I'd have been very unhappy if I'd lost a big fish today as bites were like hens teeth... Bad luck PG.
Up at the crack of sparrows this morning and off down the M4 to Reading for a clubby on the river Kennet...I swear if you'd have seen it this morning at 7:30, it looked so sock on. Colour, decent flow and 8' deep down the middle, you would fancy it for a few fish...

Stick float and maggot seemed the obvious plan of attack and during the first hour I took a few down the middle, a few roach, a few perch... ( Touch of the Jim Davidson's there) then the boats started:eek:mg:

6 more hours and zilch... I didn't really want to try the pole as the towpath was really busy so tried my 6m whip for a static bait approach but to no avail...
Sitting here now I'm wondering whether I should have tried the pole as the winner 4lb 11 and runner up 4lb 5 both stuck it out all day and caught a few, albeit quantity rather than quality..

I'm happy I beat the 2 anglers either side of me, some consolation at least..

image.jpg
[/

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Serious uck up today! Mid afternoon I half heartedly set off up the motorway to the river, the traffic was moving nicely and it wouldn't be long and i'd be on the bank trotting....yeah right! I noticed some flashing sign saying "slow down long delays"! I hit the jam and decided to get off the motorway at the next opportunity which was a long mile up the road. After following the Tom Toms insane directions I switched it off and just followed my instinct and eventually got to a road were I knew where I was at and finally made it to the river.
I had a chat to a salmon angler as he fished through the swim I wanted to fish and then I started trotting but with no luck for three quarters of an hour when I finally hooked a fish which turned out to be a chub of about 4lb. As I netted the chub I looked round to see a cow with it's stupid long face stuck in my maggot bucket and it was dipping it's tongue in them and eating them in a similar way as an ant eater eats ants FFS!!
I did a stumbling run across the river shouting at the cow as I did so using my rod in one hand and the landing net and chub in the other as sort of balancing aids.
Anyhow I ran at the bovine brain and it moved away but stood staring longingly at the maggots. I put the chub down in the shallows still in the net and decided since it might be my only fish i'd take a picture of it. The effin cow moved back to the bucket so I had to go frighten it off again, then I walked back to the chub to unhook it and leave it in the net while I took my rod and placed it in a good spot ready to lay the chub next to it for a pic. As I returned to the chub in the net it proceeded to go mental and somehow it absolutely drenched me. I picked it up to take back to the rod for a photo.
I then noticed the effin cow was back this time trying to eat my rod handle and reel, I ran at it whilst holding the chub and again it moved away. I realised it would have looked a little strange if anyone was to see me, chasing a cow across a field whilst holding a chub, so I went back to the river to put the chub in the net again. I then did a better job of scaring the cow and it moved away this time. Then back again to get the chub to take a picture- only to find it had got out of the net and fired off.
All that stress for sweet F.A.

Still wound up after the cow incident I waded back out and as I did I felt a cold spot on my foot and realised my wader was filling up with effin water, a leak i'd patched up had failed again. Mind blowing shyte or what!
I carried on wading to my fishing spot and started to trott again. A dozen or so trotts later the float went under and I struck into what felt like a barbel as the fish didn't budge but the rod arched right over.
I held it there and then felt the thump, thump of a fish. It held bottom hard as I gently eased it upstream and eventually it was level with me but still holding fast to the bottom (as barbel do). I decided to have a nosey at it and put on quite a lot of pressure and as the barbel came up to the surface saw it was the mother of all... effin chub!
It really was a monster chub and I thought i'd best take it easy as the hook could pop out. No sooner did i think this than the hook did just that - flew out of the fish's mouth. Now normally I wouldn't bother about that in the slightest but considering how large that chub looked and how it fought I was seriously jacked off, in fact I still am, and I have a mental picture in my head of it as it surfaced and the hook popped out.

After that I walked up river sulking to myself; I sat on the bank in disbelief at losing the possible fish of a lifetime and just trotted for dace for a short spell before packin up and coming home.

Something I forgot to mention was when I caught a trout and held it firmly to unhook it out of it's mouth popped several small cylindrical fish (about 2inches long) which where either loaches or very small barbel. It was difficult to tell with them being so small and a little decomposed/digested but it did show how predatory even small'ish trout are and i'm quite sure the trout wouldn't be bothered if the prey where loaches or barbel, it would swallow them up either or.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Popped down to Kent at the weekend with the missus to visit a landmark river for me which was another one of those Stours although this was the Great Stour and a fine river it was too. Set up in a spot well known for big roach but the sun was bright and the passers by oh so frequent, the kiss of death to any large redfins in my mind. Did manage many dace and smaller roach and on many times an audience, the largest of which was saved for a battle with a pike hooked nicely on the nose with my size 18 after it had grabbed a dace, Ok battle is overdoing it a bit as was the cheers from the crowd and the comments of how big it was made me laugh a bit with embarrasment - it was 2lb! These folk had never seen one before and there were families with intrigued kids watching as I slipped the little Jack Pike back. That's four pike on the trot - pardon the pun, that I've got in this season and the fishing improved after it sulked off, with a dace every run through afterwards.

After lunch and listening to a late equalizer in the lunchtime game for the Hornets I was relieved to go downstream to relative peace away from the noise of the weir and tourists watching, there was dace everywhere amongst lush ranunculus beds swaying like hair in the gin clear water, they weren't hard to catch at all and along with some nice perch and chub it was a really good fishing. There was time still to drive down to Whitstable where the sea was too choppy for me to wet a line for Bass so we sat on the beach with fish and chips thus ending a really good day.

seth49

Reaction score

Had a day on my own yesterday, didn't get out Thursday, with taking the wife to hospital, and mick was busy yesterday,set out at nine thirty, on the fishery for ten.

Put the sleeper rod out first, for a carp hopefully, and then started float fishing for silvers,had a few small skimmers and small roach, the carp were sun bathing enjoying the sunshine, it was a very pleasant day to be out, light winds and warm.

Did get four better bream later on, best one weighing three and a half pounds, about six o clock the carp started coming in to the pellets, at the front of the platform, so I put some more in with what was left of the corn, and moved my chair back out of sight, and put the carp rod in the area they were feeding in.

There were swirls and tails waving with in ten minutes , followed by a big swirl and bow wave, as on shot of with the alarm going, had a good scrap with the above carp, which weighed ten and a half pounds, no more after that, did have more in the margin, but none took the bait.

Nice day out, did get a few, nobody was catching much, so I didn't do to bad, back on Tuesday hopefully,it was a nice peaceful day out, enjoyed it.?

mikench

Reaction score
As i have 2335 notications I assume that the new form of "like" is now up and running!;)

I have a dislike for this post from Mr Crabtree; my first!:confused:

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can't say a "dislike" button is a nice idea, haven't we always been told "if you've nothing nice to say, say nothing at all"

theartist

Reaction score
As i have 2335 notications I assume that the new form of "like" is now up and running!;)

I have a dislike for this post from Mr Crabtree; my first!:confused:

I've started a separate thread to discuss the dislike button to keep this thread catch reports :thumbs:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've started a separate thread to discuss the dislike button to keep this thread catch reports :thumbs:

I'd rather keep the discussion on here and give Peter something else to dislike :wh ;).

barbelboi

Reaction score
I took a stroll over to the shallow gravel run where a backwater meets the main river for another dace session. After all the rain there’s no change – the main river is gin clear around 6-7’ deep in most spots, plenty of cabbages and ribbon weed with virtually no flow. The gravel run I fished has some movement and the depth is only around a foot to a foot and a half deep at most. I set up behind the bank side vegetation with reds and home made caster for bait (aka left on the fridge a bit too long). The red caster was certainly the bait of the day taking quite a few dozen netter dace – the only downer was that the wind came up again which isn’t preferable when fishing so light and shallow. Fished from 10am – 2.30pm.
14aug17stgrav3.jpg

14aug17stgrav.jpg

14aug17stdace2.jpg

john step

Reaction score
Silly boy today. I have been enjoying some feeder fishing on club waters lately.

Silly?? Yes did the silly beginners thing of forgetting to engage freespool. Took my eyes off the game and turned to see my rod disappear into the lake.
Luckily I was the only one there and another rod rigged up with multi hooks and heavy lead got it back after about half hour.

When dragging it in I felt it kick and found the culprit still attached. Nothing big, about a 4lb common.:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

The times I have told beginners to beware of loosing a rod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Fished the club pool on SUnday

Bit slow on maggots just sardine tin fillers had some 3 day old bread with me as well ( Coop own brand Farmhouse) it is easily as good as Warburtons or Roberts well the fish seem to think so any how got me 6 stonking Crucians decent bream and tench flake on a 14 Guru hook nice day after working out they did not want maggots ..

Hope it is as good Wednesday now .

PG ...

Philip

Reaction score
With fishing severely curtailed of late I was chomping at the bit & decided to cram in a quick 2 or 3 hours session on the river this evening, Perch or a bonus Zander were the target. With the fishing car in for repairs I bundled the minimum of tackle into the “nice” car & headed off. Sods law of course meant that when I needed the extras I constantly cart around in the fishing car I didn’t have them with me.

I choose a swim next to a gushing inlet from a water treatment plant, apart from the extra oxygen the inlet provided there are always hordes of fry in the margins and I reckoned a few predators might be lurking in wait. I quickly caught half a dozen minnow sized roach in the margins and lip hooked a couple on some tiny sunken paternosters which I flicked out into the flow of the inlet.

There was allot of perch activity as they chased the hordes of fry in the margins and I had high hopes of a fish. As dusk started to close in suddenly the deeper rod was off …the bobbin hit the rod and the loose clutch was spinning like a good’un…this was not going to be a Perch. I lifted into the fish and immediately it went mental and ripped off yards of line. I knew exactly what it was and the problem was I was hopelessly unprepared for it. To cut a long story short after an extended battle a sizable Wels surfaced in front of me. Now the problem - I only had a small 26 inch net with me and this thing was literally 4 feet long – oh dear !

After allot of maneuvering I managed to drag its head into the net and then sort of scooped as much of the rest of it in as I could then lifted, the fish bent right round and somehow more by luck than judgement squeezed in filling the net completely. Now the next problem. I was fishing a few feet above the surface and as I attempted to lift the little net up to ground level the fish went nuts and busted the net and was in danger of falling back out, I literally grabbed the whole lot in my arms, net and thrashing Catfish together and manhandled the whole lot onto dry land. To say I was in a state would be an understatement. I was literally drenched in Catfish slime. Thankfully the tiny hook (size 6) was in the edge of its vast gob and within reach of the normal forceps so unhooking was relatively easy. With only 12 pound weighmasters with me I didn’t even attempt to put it on them as it would have bottomed them several times over so I took a few quick snaps and then carried it back to the water soaking myself even further in the process but thankfully it swam off strongly after its ordeal.

I was left literally covered head to toe in Catfish slime, my net was busted, tackle strewn everywhere and to add insult to injury I now had to pack the whole soaked stinking lot back into the “clean” car as well ! What it was doing snaffling up a minnow sized bait I have no idea.

Anyway here’s the Cat, I am sure its currently having a good laugh at my expense :

philip-albums-misc-picture4709-catfish.jpg

And heres what it did to my net :

philip-albums-misc-picture4710-net.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
Well done Philip ! I have to say i find the Wels a hideous fish and would derive no pleasure from catching one; indeed the event would be the stuff of nightmares!

They are a foreign species that just should not be in our rivers and lakes!