How did you get on?

mikench

Reaction score
The dark foreboding sky and constant rain was not conducive to encouraging me to even venture out but I did! I set off at 7.30 to my closest venue only to find that the cattle grid across the private roadway had collapsed!:( whilst I could have detoured across the adjacent field I decided against. There were several reasons, the large Bazardaise bull, the electric fence and the knowledge that the mud I would amass on the car and in the wheel arches would take days to remove!:)

I reversed and set off to the 15 acre mere I have had a modicum of success at . By 8.30 I was set up and my feeder rod was resting nicely on the buzzer and camero tripod. It continued to rain and i set up the brolly. At 9.00 i set up my float rod and fished 6mm pellet on a small float. I am glad I did because apart from the infernal ducks tapping my line and when reeling in to recast periodically, the chirruping of the buzzer was conspicuous by its absence;) The rain stopped , the brolly was packed away, the sun came out and all was well with the world!

I didn't catch much but as my wife says, I enjoyed messing about immensely ! I caught 8 roach all above 8 oz and a couple around a pound over the course of the day and all on the float! Finally at about 4.00 I had a run on the feeder and thought it might be a large carp. After a short struggle the telltale " oh dear I am caught and will just play dead" told me it was a bream!:rolleyes: They never let me down and this one looked enormous and I was convinced it was into double figures ! In fact it was a shade over 6lb but looked bigger. I returned it to the water whereupon it turned turtle and I was convinced I had killed the bl**** thing. I righted it with the net but it promptly turned upside down again. After an age it suddenly righted itself and shot off!;)

No more fish but the sunshine, the ambience and solitude really helped my "messing" and I realised why I liked fishing!:wh

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Out on a easy club lake again to try out my new baby Shimano baitrunner.
Its a better size for my feeder rod than the 4000. Well thats my excuse for the purchase.

Plenty of carp and F1s to feeder and mini boilie.

Strange to sit in the heat in a t shirt under an umbrella in the frequent downpours. Must be what it feels like in the tropics.

neil1970

Reaction score
First installment from last weeks holiday :D:D:D

I must admit that I haven’t been enjoying my freshwater fishing much since the rivers opened.
A couple of very nice Perch losses and a a succession of small fish has left me wanting to get back to tiny salt water species.

A couple of days in Torquay to break up the journey to Cornwall for a family holiday saw 2 quick evening sessions in Torquay Marina.
I fished one of the two walls that didn't have no fishing signs, on the first night for 45 minutes and caught two new species*
Really pleased with my first ever Bass, followed by a microscopic Pollack.

I moved on and caught a Black Goby.

The next session was curtailed by an irate phone call after 15 minutes of fishing. Rock Goby…. then a very brisk walk back to where were staying.

upload image

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
The best turned out to be a personal best with a lovely fish just 1oz shy of 2lb.

Well done. Lovely fish. Keep plugging away, you seem to be getting closer each time you go..that 2 is gonna come anytime soon, sounds like you have earned it.

mikench

Reaction score
First installment from last weeks holiday :D:D:D

I must admit that I haven’t been enjoying my freshwater fishing much since the rivers opened.*
A couple of very nice Perch losses and a* a succession of small fish has left me wanting to get back to tiny salt water species.

A couple of days in Torquay to break up the journey to Cornwall for a family holiday saw 2 quick evening sessions in Torquay Marina.*
I fished one of the two walls that didn't have no fishing signs, on the first night for 45 minutes*
and caught two new species.*
Really pleased with my first ever Bass, followed by a microscopic Pollack.*

I moved on and caught a Black Goby.

The next session was curtailed by an irate phone call after 15 minutes of fishing. Rock Goby…. then a very brisk walk back to where were staying.

upload image

So what did the Rock Goby want Neil and did he live up to his name?:rolleyes:

sheffields12

Reaction score
Poor show that, Sheffield12.....Any decent chap would be dropping the wife off at work, AND picking her up again!

Hope you catch though, having made the effort!
She doesn't start til 7:30pm and finishes at 8am! So she has to take herself and drive herself back home :wh

Anyway, bit of a disaster Yesterday. Not even a bite using the king prawns i bought. Few bites on sweetcorn but nothing caught.

Went onto the feeder for the last hour and had a couple of Bream and a couple of carp.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Been feeling a bit crook this week but decided to have another go at the crucians yesterday...... though an early start was never going to be part of the deal.

Arrived about midday to find the wind blowing straight onto my favoured bank. The BF fished on Monday and struggled for a solitary tench but the perceived wisdom is that the fish do move on the wind a lot here so that plus feeling rough and being in close proximity to car park made it a no brainer in terms of swim selection.

Ominously quiet for a couple of hours with only a 4 oz rudd to show for me efforts but around mid afternoon the LH rod screamed off and after a really good scrap I netted a tench of 6lb 3oz. Chuffed with that but not the crucian I was after. Guy in the swim next door [Rod] was still biteless and fancied a move. "Stick it out" I said "the fish can suddenly just turn up". So saying my RH rod went and I played another "tench" to the net...only for it to turn into a crucian ! Beautiful fish and my best yet at 3lb 3oz.

I was convinced I'd get another but my swim went quiet again but 20 minutes later Rod is away and its another lovely crucian of 2-15....he went on to land 2 more in the next hour the others going 3-2 and 2-9. Both of which I might add I guessed the weight of correctly ! Now you might think that the fish had drifted from me to him but I was to his right and all his fish came to his LH rod which he was fishing well to the left of his swim.

After that we both suffered a blank spell until around 7pm when I added 2 baby tench of about a pound, a carp of 6 ozs [ I kid you not !] and missed another bite. Rod had a couple of tench of the same stamp.

So...I can hardly complain about two cracking fish but once again I felt I really should have done a bit better. I'm doing OK on a new water for me but I've not quite worked it out yet....but its great fun trying.

Every fish on good old plain yellow corn. Its clearly the bait provided there aren't any little rudd around that will bash it to bits. I've tried plastic but so far only had one fish on it.

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score

Back on fishery yesterday, picked mick up at twelve o clock, and started just after one, mick went straight for the carp, I had a couple of hours on the float, same as last time I pumped some six mm pellets, did two lots, one krill flavour which turn red, and some pineapple which go yellow,used the sonu flavours, its there version of goo.

Caught skimmers and a few bigger bream to about three pounds, about two foot deep in the margins, fished on the bottom, I'd also thrown some of the Nash riser pellets out, which float, roach and Rudd love these, and they were soon taking them of the surface, so I started fishing for these further out,leaving the depth the same, in about six foot of water, first fish a bream, and then some nice roach up to half a pound or so, had one bigger one which was a pound or so, but it was a roach bream hybrid, good scrap though.

Mick had had two carp by now, and my neck was starting to ache, so I moved everything back , and put my carp rod in the margins, I finished with the five carp above, and mick had six,

Mick is in Scotland next week on holiday, so I will be fishing on my own next week, might have a dawn start on Tuesday, and see if it's better than the afternoon, and then decide when to go on Thursday, will make a change.
Good day yesterday, not many birds about but lots of dragonflies and damsels, nice and warm and dry, enjoyed it.?

barbelboi

Reaction score
I decided to take a stroll to where a backwater meets the river for some more dace as, at least this is more sheltered from the high winds than the ‘white horses’ on the main river. Even so the wind keeps trying to lift your line from the water and control your stick for you making presentation somewhat trickier – especially when fishing in a foot to 18 inches of gin clear water. I had the remainder of the red maggots that had been on the fridge a bit too long (the red casters I used Monday) that were now mostly black but were taken quite readily by the fish (especially the ones that were catapulted out as they acted more naturally in the gale:)). Usual setup for this tight, shallow spot of 12’ Titan 2000, pin and a short, domed 6 x no4 stick.

Anyway, my way of helping the presentation was a bit ar$e about face by casting upstream and controlling the line in front of the stick until it got level with me (most of the better fish were caught this way) – then the ****ing wind takes over. Fished from 10am – 1pm for quite a few dace and three gobios that didn’t seem mind the presentation when the stick passed me by into troubled waters. No pics as it’s pretty much the same as the last times – also I forgot the digi.

The best part of the outing was spotting a small shoal of decent roach on my way home (I’d guesstimate either side of a pound and a half) in about 5’ of clear water in a hole in the weeds where another backwater meets the river. I think know where my first session will be next week...........

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Myself and 2 more old codgers went for a practice on the canal where our next match will be on Tuesday .

image.jpg

A part of this venue I've not tried before...we were opposite a working boatyard which was solid with boats and I had one parked dead opposite. Pole rig tied onto my 15' rod and line it was a mere swing to the boat. It was solid with small chub of around 8" long which made a nice change and some fit roach. Dark caster laid on was the favoured bait with sail away bites...We endured 2 extremely squally rain storms around 2 o'clock and packed up damp and soggy at 3pm..

We all had a good net of fish each which bodes well for next week...

image.jpg

rubio

Reaction score
Another bit of 'holiday' fishing up in norfolk for me. Only a couple of short sessions on the Yare, with mixed results. I know there are eels galore round them parts so chose to avoid maggot or worm and persisted with corn and a heavy dark feed. The tides affect fishing enormously and I didn't quite get to grips with it. Best session was four hours over the top of the tide. 2oz tip and cage feeder of varying weights kept me in touch with what was happening well enough to contact bites more consistently. Earlier attempts with 3 oz tip not so good, and float was a very tricky option. I did manage my best roach trotting(ish) with a 4 swan avon, using a stiff breeze to counter the current, but the eventual size of the waves put paid to any more of that.
Always good to go away from your usual haunts and have to think a bit about what your doing.

theartist

Reaction score
Another bit of 'holiday' fishing up in norfolk for me. Only a couple of short sessions on the Yare, with mixed results. I know there are eels galore round them parts so chose to avoid maggot or worm and persisted with corn and a heavy dark feed. The tides affect fishing enormously and I didn't quite get to grips with it. Best session was four hours over the top of the tide. 2oz tip and cage feeder of varying weights kept me in touch with what was happening well enough to contact bites more consistently. Earlier attempts with 3 oz tip not so good, and float was a very tricky option. I did manage my best roach trotting(ish) with a 4 swan avon, using a stiff breeze to counter the current, but the eventual size of the waves put paid to any more of that.
Always good to go away from your usual haunts and have to think a bit about what your doing.

Eels? You maybe could have stuck with the maggots or worms as they are declining badly round there, I had none on the Bure and Ant

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Myself and 2 more old codgers went for a practice on the canal where our next match will be on Tuesday .

image.jpg

A part of this venue I've not tried before...we were opposite a working boatyard which was solid with boats and I had one parked dead opposite. Pole rig tied onto my 15' rod and line it was a mere swing to the boat. It was solid with small chub of around 8" long which made a nice change and some fit roach. Dark caster laid on was the favoured bait with sail away bites...We endured 2 extremely squally rain storms around 2 o'clock and packed up damp and soggy at 3pm..

We all had a good net of fish each which bodes well for next week...

image.jpg

Maybe me, but I'm getting a 404 on those snaps?

neil1970

Reaction score
Part 2 -
After arriving in Looe, the next morning I fished early at high tide off some rocks a couple miles walk away for Wrasse and Bass.
One positive bite;nothing more.

The next day plan B came in to action and I was up at 6am to do the short drive to Polperro forhigh tide at 6.55am.

I started fishing just before just before high tide for a couple of hours..
Split shot rig with a size 14 hook and large pink Isome were the order of the day.

Lots of Common Bennies up the wall and a single Corking Wrasse off the bottom in a beautiful location made the first trip a success. :)

upload image

Curse of the GoPro. After enjoying the fishing a couple of days before, I thought I might try to get bit of footage. A strong biting wind made the 2+ hours I was there a bit of an ordeal.

Went back with 2 fish under my belt. Nano Pollack and a common Blenny.

upload image

neil1970

Reaction score
Part 3
Last holiday fishing trip and back to the same location at the same time,but hight tide was now past 8am.

First cast a tiny LS Scorpion, which made my day as its only the third I’ve ever caught.
The fishing was so different from the day before. Flat calm conditions had apparently brought the Wrasse in and I caught a couple of small Ballans and a Corking.
I’d switched from a split shot rig to a 2g tungsten flex head alongside a small weedless hook and a 3” bit of XL pink Isome to catch these.
A Blenny and a Sand Smelt brought the overall holiday species count to 9.

Lovely place and nice holiday overall.

upload image

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Neil the wrasse are beautiful ! Pity I cannot say the same about the rest!:rolleyes: Sounds like you had a nice holiday and decent weather!:)

Forgot to mention I had a days fishing today despite the abominable weather ; windy and wet! Only one fish on but what a fish , a mirror of 15lb , my second biggest fish! I took me 25 minutes to land and I felt rather pleased with myself!

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Neil the wrasse are beautiful ! Pity I cannot say the same about the rest!:rolleyes: Sounds like you had a nice holiday and decent weather!:)

Forgot to mention I had a days fishing today despite the abominable weather ; windy and wet! Only one fish on but what a fish , a mirror of 15lb , my second biggest fish! I took me 25 minutes to land and I felt rather pleased with myself!

You big show off ;) but well done :D.

Mike, your postimage is just a black box bud :confused:

mikench

Reaction score
I will try again Ian! Cheers !

Post images is playing up or maybe it's me!

Last edited:

jimlad

Reaction score
Well, I've had 14 trips so far this summer resulting in my first and second tees barbel. Average size is excellent, first one of 9lb 1oz, second was 12lb 1oz. Made up with these after all the effort last year and this

IMG_6933.jpg

IMG_7038.jpg

Also managed two trips to the swale in between, just to remember what a fish feels like, resulting in a couple of small fish.

IMG_6929.jpg

IMG_6930.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
Magnificent fish Jim! I wish I hadn't bothered with my pic of the carp!:rolleyes:

Those barbel are magnificent! Mind you my carp was caught on a barbel rod so nearly there;)