Oxon-based help requested.....

daltons

Reaction score
Am returning to the winter coarse fishing fold after 40-ish years of chasing trout and grayling with flies. Now looking for some diversion in the colder months that doesn't require regular lottery wins to support::D.

Spent in interesting if slightly disheartening day on a tour of the Oxford area tackle shops today, buying bits and pieces in return for the lowdown on my chances of getting some roach by trotting the smaller rivers of W Oxon (Windrush/Evenlode/Cherwell etc. - ideally, I prefer the more intimate feel of these to the more 'open-plan' Old Father down the road in Oxford). I now gather that they're not good, with the activities of cormorants, the booming otters population and signal crays digging out the banks the main source of invective.

To be honest, watching a quivertip over a breadflake ledgered near some tree roots etc. wasn't what I had in mind when I decided to 'return' but am beginning to think that these chubby tactics may well offer my best chance of some local sport.

If there are any experienced Oxon-based river anglers reading this, I would be grateful for your opinion and any pointers, particularly towards the aforementioned trotting, but if this'd likely be a waste of time in terms of results, don't be shy...:). Bottom line, I'm after some river-based sport in the limited time I'll have to put into it - please let me know your thoughts!
Thanks in advance
Mike

daltons

Reaction score
Thanks for this - if understand correctly this is ODAA water? Would it be accessible via a Littlemore club ticket on the alliance arrangement?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I'm not sure as I've only fished there on organised matches but I think you can buy day tickets from tackle shop in Oxford.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I'm not sure as I've only fished there on organised matches but I think you can buy day tickets from tackle shop in Oxford.
If you travelled to swindon the river ray has been producing recently

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

silvers

Reaction score
I know medley (in fact all of the Thames around Oxford) is great for roach in the summer (mainly pole and waggler rather than top & bottom type fishing) ... not sure about winter but fat phil's should be able to give a lowdown. Given the lack of matches on it in the winter I'd suggest it's probably not great.

How north oxon are you? Banbury end is nearer the warks avon than the Thames for travelling. above Bidford the Avon is a mostly narrow river with some good flow. However, the fish do shoal up tight.
Again a lot is on club book rather than day ticket. I think Stratford Lido is day ticket but could be wrong.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I fish around north oxford quite a bit as I live in Kidlington. As we know the Thames is excellent fishing, but out of the smaller tributaries the Cherwell is perhaps your best bet, there's fewer crayfish than there has been for years, the barbel are making a comeback and there's bplenty of roach chub and dace to go at, I'm not saying it's easy and you will have to work at it to find the fish(mainly in the fields at the moment) but it's a nice river to wander and fish.

Kidlington angling society is your best bet as they have good access to the river at 3 places with secure parking and they have the oxford canal and are ODAA affiliated which gives you the Thames.

Feel free to send me a pm.

Cheers

daltons

Reaction score
Thank for that, Jason! First really positive info I've come across re: chances of reasonable sport on the smaller tribs - which are more my cup of tea.
Will take you up on the offer and pm - get the feeling I'll need all the help I can get :).
Cheers
Mike

associatedmatt

Reaction score
While on this topic . What small rivers are West oxon that price the best chub fishing on ledger tactics ?

Specihunter

Reaction score
While on this topic . What small rivers are West oxon that price the best chub fishing on ledger tactics ?

I know I left oxfordshire years ago but the abingdon and Oxford angling alliance have, a nice stretch of the Evenlode next to Cassington. Newlands ac controls the windrush south of witney. Hope this helps

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I know I left oxfordshire years ago but the abingdon and Oxford angling alliance have, a nice stretch of the Evenlode next to Cassington. Newlands ac controls the windrush south of witney. Hope this helps
Thanks the only small river I have near me is in swindon and I'm on the wilts , Gloucestershire and oxon boarder. Il have a look into those clubs

Specihunter

Reaction score
Thanks the only small river I have near me is in swindon and I'm on the wilts , Gloucestershire and oxon boarder. Il have a look into those clubs

I know that part well look on YouTube for totally awesome fishing. He fishes lechlade

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I know that part well look on YouTube for totally awesome fishing. He fishes lechlade
Ahhh now I'm next main village to lechlade . Where does he fish ? On the Thames? Personally I prefer smaller rivers

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Daltons, first off welcome to FM.

My first piece of advice would be to listen carefully to anything Jason Bean has to say on the Cherwell :)

Secondly, another avenue you could explore would be the waters that the North Oxford Angling Society has above Oxford. The main thames above godstow bridge can offer some good trotting (might need to let a bit of water run off first as it's currently very high!). I would also personally recommend the seacourt stream for this type of fishing, trotting can work very well for roach, dace, chub, bream... I've also had an out of season trout on cheesepaste the last couple of times I've tried for chub which has come as a surprise!

Personally I would find areas like Medley a bit hard going at this time of year, however just a little higher up the river is a little narrower, giving you better opportunities for trotting, IMHO... also, you have a number of sharp bends up there, whereas the Medley stetch is mostly straight.