JRC Stalker lightweight chair

john step

Reaction score
As mentioned in another post I have just picked one up.
I have sat on it but have yet to use it in anger.

It is certainly light. Lighter than any other chair I have owned. Whether the aluminium frame is a strong as the steel heavier ones I cannot say but if it lasts a year or two that will be OK.

It has large mud feet.

It is lower than my previous Chubb chair and at 6 foot 2 I would have preferred it a little higher but that is an acceptable compromise for the lightness for those longer walks for which it was bought.

With just about any other chair I have owned I find the back a leans a little too far backwards but I always modify my chairs to sit a little more upright anyway.

I do this by adding a shim of curved aluminium fastened by a jubilee clip where the back comes to rest against the frame.
Works a treat and doesn't compromise the structure.

Conclusion. A good light chair for carting off to those swims down the river.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have acquired two JRC chairs, I think one is called stealthlite ?? it does not have arms,
I think the other is the Contact ?? this one has arms, I have not tried them yet, more than likely they will
end up as extra garden chairs, I agree the back seems to recline to much, I will just get a couple of wooden wedge type
door stops and put those between the back and the frame, and hope they work.

B

binka

I think you can have every confidence in the strength of the frame Pete, as you know I'm a dedicated chair destroyer and previously couldn't get anything to last for more than a few months.

I think I went through two Nash Indulgences and a JRC Contact in something like eighteen months but I've had the X Lite for two years now and it's as good as the day I bought it.

I'm thinking we're talking about the same chair as that's what Google brought up when I searched for 'Stalker Lightweight'?

xlite.JPG

B

binka

I have acquired two JRC chairs, I think one is called stealthlite ?? it does not have arms,
I think the other is the Contact ?? this one has arms, I have not tried them yet, more than likely they will
end up as extra garden chairs, I agree the back seems to recline to much, I will just get a couple of wooden wedge type
door stops and put those between the back and the frame, and hope they work.

It could just have been a batch thing Mark but the Contact that I had lasted no time at all before the stitching, which holds the seat around the frame, gave way...

IMG01140-20130917-1613.jpg

Both of the Nash chairs broke on the frame, even after reinforcing the second chair...

ni.JPG

:eek:mg:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
You never disappoint , Steve and you dont mess about either. If you break a chair its terminal.

I have a JRC Stealth which I think is the jonny in question. Incredibly light but I agree about the back being angled a bit too far back. Its not one I like to sit in for hours but for short sessions the lightness makes it a no brainer.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I've done similar to John Step bringing the back into a more upright position and it works a treat. My second X-Lite to which I've added a cushion for added comfort and offering a little more height.

I believe still the lightest of its type at around 3kg....

A great chair!

john step

Reaction score
It could just have been a batch thing Mark but the Contact that I had lasted no time at all before the stitching, which holds the seat around the frame, gave way...

View attachment 4525

Both of the Nash chairs broke on the frame, even after reinforcing the second chair...

View attachment 4526

:eek:mg:

I wonder if the arm broke due to the drilled hole where the bolt was put through weakened it?

wetthrough

Reaction score
I know of at least four people including myself that pack there chairs up to make the backs more upright and there are probably more. Makes me
wonder why they make them so prone. I have a JRC Stealth X-Lite Recliner with the adjustable back on order which may come tomorrow. I'll
report back later this week when I've had a chance to try it.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I will check tomorrow which ones I have, I cant say how much they cost because I didn't pay anything for them, I think the lite may retail around £60 ? I cant post pics because I am using a steam powered laptop, Plus not savvy enough to put pics onto it to post, and SWMBO wont let me near her ipad even though I bought it for her :mad:
In a way I am glad I have 3 seatboxes to choose from when go fishing and not use a chair.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I thought about the X-Lite recliner as it does offer a fully adjustable back, but from memory I seem to recall the weight was considerably more than the standard model. Just checked and it comes in at 4.7kg compared to the 3 kg. but then that is to be expected...

Reading John Step's post re the legs of the standard model and the fact that the chair is a little low if one is tall. Obviously the manufacturer did his homework before coming up with the amount of adjustment the chair has but thinking aloud I did wonder if a thicker wall leg might have offered another 75mm of leg adjustment, although the extra length has to go somewhere once collapsed.
Nah, it wouldn't work.

I suppose I could always take four bricks............................................

john step

Reaction score
I thought about the X-Lite recliner as it does offer a fully adjustable back, but from memory I seem to recall the weight was considerably more than the standard model. Just checked and it comes in at 4.7kg compared to the 3 kg. but then that is to be expected...

I suppose I could always take four bricks............................................

Better than four candles:wh

mikench

Reaction score
or was it the fat clumsy bas tard sitting on it? Hmmmm let me think!

Oi that's my pal and one of the finest anglers of his generation you are maligning!:wh Steve I'm available most weeks in the summer for a spot of barbel fishing tuition!!!:wh

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm another one always on the lookout for the weightless chair. And I had a beauty, a Nash "Lounge Lizard". Until it was stolen in a shed break-in. I couldn't believe they discontinued it. They must have been too good, and people keeping them were depressing sales. There was an interesting follow up. It seems the youths responsible were well known locally as serial shed burglars, and members of the community, not me of course, had a whip-round to pay someone to er remonstrate with them. Whatever, I lost a great chair, a collection of home-made Irish sliders, a roving seat made from the aluminium frame of a Bri-lo box, and other custom items. Nowadays, I'm mostly on a box, but I have a Nash Diamondback chair, which is great if you can park near your peg, and something light but rather saggy and sloppy if you have to carry it.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'm not altogether sure if the much larger 'feet' on the new X-Lite are an improvement or not...They certainly are a lot bigger than those on the old model(s) but I've found the swivel part not always easy to move on the hinge. NOT to say the larger flat area of the feet doesn't give more surface area particularly when sitting on soft ground, but I never had a problem with the original feet, which imo were a lot neater.
Perhaps they might work better for those of us who are, how can I put it, a little on the heavy side when sinking of the feet might be an issue......