Does this rod exist?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In custom form anything is possible but off the shelf?

I’m looking for a rod preferably 9ft but would go 10ft for barbel fishing.

The river is narrow and shallow and I would be either freelining or using a light link leger. I have a short carp rod and also a Wychwood Extricator but feel that both aren’t soft enough at the tip. Ideally I want a softish tip with plenty of power further down all the way through to the butt, maybe a tc of 1.75lb?

The chances of me finding the barbel and then hooking one are slim on my particular stretch of river so spending a lot of money on a custom build isn’t on really. But if by chance I did manage to tempt one onto the hook I’d like all the help I can get from the rod being an novice angler with zero experience playing a powerful barbel. Being that the river is so narrow, the snags aren’t far away at any time with trees and vegetation all along the bank side, there’s also the hinderance of streamer weed, so power coupled with a touch of sensitivity in a compact form would be just the ticket.

chrissh

Reaction score
I have a 10ft 1.75 t/c Nash scope I use for barbel and pike

Scope Cork 10ft, 1.75lb
This option is the softer from the Scope range. This versatile option is best described as a go anywhere rod. The 1.75lb models bring the classic Avon rod versatility into the 21st century being equally at home casting spinners and spoons for perch to float fishing and free lining baits at small river chub or casting feeders for bream and tench. They produce enough power for bagging small carp on commercials and even float fishing and surface work for bigger carp. Although compact, they have a casting range of 0-60 yards (55 metres) and are more than capable of casting out leads and feeders from 1-2 ozs

Nash Scope Cork 10ft 1.75TC & 2.25TC Rods

Reaction score
Mate,have a look at the TFG Matt Hayes all rounder 8-10 ft,don't take any notice of the write up it is a good barbel rod for the type of water your fishing and it's a good price too,a former member on FM Mark Todd swore by it,having fish over 13lbs on it,I bought one but it wasn't needed for my venues so sold it on.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a 10ft 1.75 t/c Nash scope I use for barbel and pike

Scope Cork 10ft, 1.75lb
This option is the softer from the Scope range. This versatile option is best described as a go anywhere rod. The 1.75lb models bring the classic Avon rod versatility into the 21st century being equally at home casting spinners and spoons for perch to float fishing and free lining baits at small river chub or casting feeders for bream and tench. They produce enough power for bagging small carp on commercials and even float fishing and surface work for bigger carp. Although compact, they have a casting range of 0-60 yards (55 metres) and are more than capable of casting out leads and feeders from 1-2 ozs

Nash Scope Cork 10ft 1.75TC & 2.25TC Rods

I’ve got a pair of 9ft 2.25lb Nash Dwarf Hi-Guns, used them once! Don’t think they’re as nice as the Scopes from what I’ve read, certainly feel a bit too poker ish for barbel.

Mate,have a look at the TFG Matt Hayes all rounder 8-10 ft,don't take any notice of the write up it is a good barbel rod for the type of water your fishing and it's a good price too,a former member on FM Mark Todd swore by it,having fish over 13lbs on it,I bought one but it wasn't needed for my venues so sold it on.

Can’t find them anywhere, only 11 to 13ft version.

Reaction score
It says it's good for float fishing,not in my book it isn't,nice all through action,which isn't altered by the three or four sections,also gives an 8ft option for real tight swims...

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yep, already sussed that from various comments but not an issue with what I have in mind.

mikench

Reaction score
Have a look at the Browning commercial king 2 8' wand in Fi or carp form! A lovely little rod John! I have one and if it can handle an 8lb carp I am sure it will handle a barbel! They do a 10' bomb rod as well which you might prefer! There are some good reviews and I like it!

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That’s a minor issue but I’ll deal with it Mike. :eek:mg:

tdrozdow

Reaction score
Nash scope 9 or10 foot 1.75 TV. I use them for tench and babel fishing. Fantastic fish playing action and great roving rods as they are so light and compact. Matched with a small shimano x Aero 4000 reel they are a delight to use. I have a 2.25 10ft as well for heavier flows and feeders. Just brilliant.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nash scope 9 or10 foot 1.75 TV. I use them for tench and babel fishing. Fantastic fish playing action and great roving rods as they are so light and compact. Matched with a small shimano x Aero 4000 reel they are a delight to use. I have a 2.25 10ft as well for heavier flows and feeders. Just brilliant.

Thanks for that. This rod was my number one choice after a lot of reading but I couldn’t really justify the price given that this barbel quest maybe a short lived project, having said that, it does seem a very versatile rod. I’ve settled on the TF gear rod mentioned earlier, not in the same league in terms of quality but hopefully good enough to get me going.

If there’s some success I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a second hand scope.:thumbs:

Reaction score
Thanks for that. This rod was my number one choice after a lot of reading but I couldn’t really justify the price given that this barbel quest maybe a short lived project, having said that, it does seem a very versatile rod. I’ve settled on the TF gear rod mentioned earlier, not in the same league in terms of quality but hopefully good enough to get me going.

If there’s some success I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a second hand scope.:thumbs:

Did you get one,or are you going to,i'd be interested what you think and how you get on with it?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes I did get one. Found out afterwards from someone who knows much more than I do about such things that this rod in his opinion is “rubbish”.

He said the earlier versions were a good blank but now they’re made in China and he had one break at the spigot.

Maybe it’s just a one off, I did get to give it a test whilst at Stonar on Friday, hooked a rather large carp off the surface that then tore off into the depths with my clutch screaming and line running out (the lake is 75ft deep in places), the hooklength finally gave way so as yet the rod is still unchristened.

I’ll keep you posted, could be a long wait though!

mikench

Reaction score
I looked at the Tricast range of 8,9 and 10 ' feeder rods (XRS 2 KR something or others) which get good reviews buy they were more expensive than the Brownings!

Keith M

Reaction score
Something tells me that you've yet to catch a barbel from a river.;)

I can concur with this view totally Sam :)

I can usually tell straight away when I’ve accidentally hooked a Carp by the way it fights. The Barbel I catch fight a lot harder and for a lot longer than the Carp in the rivers that I fish; size for size.

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think Mikes has had some on the trent whilst fishing with stebink. If I remember rightly though it was the 11ft 6inch marksman avon rod he used.