Discontinued products......what would you want?

nottskev

Reaction score
If you google Newark Needle Floats you'll find a great post from our Flightliner on the Traditional Fishermans Forum about their fishery-owning inventor.

steve2

Reaction score
I seem to remember that these floats were given away by the angling papers.
Don't think anyone would buy them.
Can't think of any discontinued tackle I would now want. I have got enough in the shed already.

Reaction score
Drennan carbon chub 14-20,you could have a leg for some of those...

mikench

Reaction score
I had thought about a thread like this and discovered it had already been done! It makes interesting reading though! I cannot see a consensus for any particular item.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Having one hell of a problem finding Drennan Polemaster nose cones and Preston ones too. I managed it by buying two Preston ones from what must be old stock, but seems like both companies have stopped making them. Absolutely indespensible I would have thought, stop you from cracking your pole sections together! Only thing worse than the sound of crack carbon is bending metal on cars...
Have you tried the Daiwa ptfe bushes that fit in the ends of sections, they can be left in place when packing pole away. Or try the Trevor jeans nose cones

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are plenty of discontinued products I loved at the time. If I loved them enough, I bought them, sometimes in multiples. There's even stuff I hankered for and never got. In some cases, I've waited patiently and bought second hand. However, the stuff I'd want even now is actually rather limited. In the vast majority of cases, items have been at least adequately replaced.

On balance, I'd sooner take the best I have, or have had, and tweak it. Perhaps take some of the best features from a few items and combine them into one.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Broadly speaking I think stuff gets discontinued because something better comes along. Not always...but I can't honestly think of anything that's been discontinued that I miss desperately. The nearest is Sufix Dura Flex line which is IMO magnificent stuff but rarely is that now to be found in a bs below 15lb. I've still got a bit left in lower bs but I'm rationing it now. There is still a bit around but the lower bs are expensive IF you can find them.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I'd buy Sundridge Force 1.5lb line, if I could. And VMC blued size 22 hooks. And plenty of items from the Shimano catalogue circa 2002..

trotter2

Reaction score
Thought long and hard about this one. And can't really think of much , perhaps a couple of new boxed 501s 506s maybe.
Cant really think of anything else tbh.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Ultima Flo-Cast hollow fishing line. I used to use it for trotting in the summer and for floating crust for Carp and Chub, but alas it’s no longer sold.
Same here, Keith. Nice very pale pink in colour too, if I remember.

Edit bit: I'm now missing the Marukyu method feeder pellets in 2mm size. There a few left-over stocks in places, but the postal charges more than double the cost. I got to like a lot of their products in the end, in particular the Skrill pellets, feed and hook. Brilliant.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Same here, Keith. Nice very pale pink in colour too, if I remember.

Edit bit: I'm now missing the Marukyu method feeder pellets in 2mm size. There a few left-over stocks in places, but the postal charges more than double the cost. I got to like a lot of their products in the end, in particular the Skrill pellets, feed and hook. Brilliant.

I don't do a lot of method feedering, but I had a bag of the Marukyu Sticky 2mm pellets that you can just spray, rather than soak. They stuck very well, and it's a pity they won't be available. I'm also going to run out of Marukyu krill powder, which I've been dusting maggots with for a couple of years.

Philip

Reaction score
I wish they still made Drennan feeder links...rubbish plastic that always split but I liked the design and the quick change weight system.

I still have a load of the weights but no feeder links to use them with.

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Somebody stole my Hardy Marksman Supero Specimen rod model 1327727. I wish I could replace it.

Actually I highly rate a number of the Marksman and the later Supero rods viz:

The Hardy Marksman 13ft Specimen float
The Hardy Supero 11ft feeder
The Hardy Supero 12 ft 3 pce Specimen rod (as referenced above)
The Hardy smuggler 11ft Avon

The opinion is my own only of course.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Richox12

Reaction score
I wish they still made Drennan feeder links...rubbish plastic that always split but I liked the design and the quick change weight system.

I still have a load of the weights but no feeder links to use them with.

Maybe that is why they were discontinued ?

Try the Drennan Carp Feeders - same size clip for the weights

Richox12

Reaction score
There could be a number of different reasons why things are discontinued but I bet the main reason is...............the product didn't sell well enough to make it worthwhile.