Fishing Allstars

peterjg

Reaction score
Make that three, my Skoda Superb Estate is the best car I’ve ever owned.

Your previous cars must have been really really terrible. Let me guess - Lada Riva, Fiat Panda, Moskovich and Citreon Dianne? Only kidding.

Reaction score
Well I've got a Skoda fabia estate,I bought it new and picked the basic model,not for just price,but I was fed up with air-con packing up,needing rd-charging etc,along with all the other 'mod con's that can go wrong,it's a diesel and runs on fumes,has plenty of space for my tackle and goes a lot quicker than some pushy so and so's think,I've had quite a few supposedly decent cars that left me cold,it's not a Rolls Royce for comfort but it's a belter for me...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I must confess I "quite" enjoyed this, came across it while flicking through channels and as nothing else much of interest watched it. The roach fishing was interesting then it settled into the monster carp and catfish mode. I did start to get a bit bored and catfish just look like monsters. However, the Macey bloke was not as bad as all that and the three of them enjoyed themselves and I wouldn't mind their job. Bit of a change of tune from me, perhaps I am being converted! I would like to see more British normal fishing though. Is it cheating having a boat place your baits hanging off a tree?

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Well I've got a Skoda fabia estate,I bought it new and picked the basic model,not for just price,but I was fed up with air-con packing up,needing rd-charging etc,along with all the other 'mod con's that can go wrong,it's a diesel and runs on fumes,has plenty of space for my tackle and goes a lot quicker than some pushy so and so's think,I've had quite a few supposedly decent cars that left me cold,it's not a Rolls Royce for comfort but it's a belter for me...

VW took over Skoda in 1991. Anybody making Skoda jokes in 2019 is recycling vintage cold war material. ( Here's one: why do Russian policemen go around in three's? One can read, one can write, one keeps an eye on the two intellectuals. )

I've had a Skoda Yeti for three years. It's like a Golf designed for going fishing. It uses not much more than half the fuel the previous cars - Kia Sportage, Toyota Rav4 - did.

steve2

Reaction score
I must confess I "quite" enjoyed this, came across it while flicking through channels and as nothing else much of interest watched it. The roach fishing was interesting then it settled into the monster carp and catfish mode. I did start to get a bit bored and catfish just look like monsters. However, the Macey bloke was not as bad as all that and the three of them enjoyed themselves and I wouldn't mind their job. Bit of a change of tune from me, perhaps I am being converted! I would like to see more British normal fishing though. Is it cheating having a boat place your baits hanging off a tree?

I enjoyed the programme even the bit about over grown slugs.
The bit about hanging baits from tree I thought was a brilliant idea it solved the weed problem they were faced with.
Isn’t that what part of fishing is about solve and work round problems you face on the day instead of giving up and going home.
I know I have in the past climbed trees to catch fish, waded out into lakes and rivers to fish swims I can’t fish from the bank.
How many times have I thought to myself I wish I had a boat?

theartist

Reaction score
Don't try hanging your bait from a tree on the opposite bank on the Thames You will catch a white plastic pig being driven by a lobster coloured stockbroker

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I enjoyed the programme even the bit about over grown slugs.
The bit about hanging baits from tree I thought was a brilliant idea it solved the weed problem they were faced with.
Isn’t that what part of fishing is about solve and work round problems you face on the day instead of giving up and going home.
I know I have in the past climbed trees to catch fish, waded out into lakes and rivers to fish swims I can’t fish from the bank.
How many times have I thought to myself I wish I had a boat?

But how easy do we want to make it, wading, climbing trees is difficult, getting some bloke to take your bait out to were you want it is just lazy. I can't fish some weedy areas, I find one I can or learn to cast. Not that bothered about it but just think its not proper angling to a small degree.

John Keane

Reaction score
Its funny this Essex bashing, always seems to easy for folks living outside the place to 'have a go' from a distance

Loads of top people in Essex and a small minority give the place a bad rep, they are mad on fishing there plus there are some of the most scenic coastal areas in the country

To be fair, I nominated that fat, mouthy bint from Essex (Gemma somebody) to plug the hole in the dam at Whaley Bridge.

steve2

Reaction score
Don't forget it's people like us who have made these Essex celebs and other celebs very rich people for playing the idiot, so who are the fools.

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm not sure who's in that "us". Apart from accidentally landing on some hideous tv channel for a couple of seconds, or glancing at someone else's paper, I can honestly say it's not my attention or money that makes "celebs" rich; not guilty.

steve2

Reaction score
I'm not sure who's in that "us". Apart from accidentally landing on some hideous tv channel for a couple of seconds, or glancing at someone else's paper, I can honestly say it's not my attention or money that makes "celebs" rich; not guilty.

Nobody ever admits to watching these type of programmes but there are millions out there that do. That must include those on here that seem to know all about them.

nottskev

Reaction score
Nobody ever admits to watching these type of programmes but there are millions out there that do. That must include those on here that seem to know all about them.

Not at all. You're confusing knowing that the world of celebrity/reality exists, and being interested in it. People do lots of things that others know about but don't do themselves. You say "must" - but there's no logic in what you say.

John Keane

Reaction score

I know that necrophilia exists but I don’t subscribe to it. You are confusing knowledge and awareness with interest and enthusiasm.

The bad one

Reaction score
Nah not having that John. You're telling us that you haven't done a few when you young that you thought might as well be dead from the thighs upward!

daniel121

Reaction score
Is it cheating having a boat place your baits hanging off a tree?

No I would not say so, I think it's quite a clever whenever a new meathod comes out people are quick to say its cheating, swimfeeder, roach pole, it's all cheating and skilless at first.

I've never done that and never will but its all a means to an end, I'd guess like everything else in fishing not as easy as it looks.

daniel121

Reaction score
I watched it, I enjoyed it it was nice to see the roach fishing there somthing different, also the carp. I think it was nice they targeted the roach over the zander I'd of expected them to fish for.

Personally I'm not a big fan of Dean Macey, the problem with all these new TV programmes is going to another country where certain fish that are rare, and as a result of being rare, special, is they make a 2lb roach a 30lb carp just another fish because the place where is was captured is full of them!

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
No I would not say so, I think it's quite a clever whenever a new meathod comes out people are quick to say its cheating, swimfeeder, roach pole, it's all cheating and skilless at first.

I've never done that and never will but its all a means to an end, I'd guess like everything else in fishing not as easy as it looks.

But at least you still caught the fish with those methods, "who" caught the fish when a bloke in a boat put the bait in the desired spot for you. I would say he did, he did most of the hard work. Either way, I could never in my heart feel I totally caught the fish and wouldn't claim to have done so, a joint effort with credit going to the boatman at least.
And what about netting rights, I net my own fish; a crucial part of the skill in angling.
If someone put the bait in for you and someone netted the fish for you-you virtually done f-all and have no right to claim you and no one else caught that fish !! Thats the "cheat" the deception you caught the fish, all on your own, all your own skill.
And where do record claims come into this? Hillary always acknowledges his Sherpa when claiming his record on Everest!

Last edited:

shane99

Reaction score
Good shout on Dr Feelgood Nottskev, I have played with Gypie Mayo (Milk & Alcohol guitarist) back in the day, he did like a drink ! They were a great Band. Also from Canvey Island were Eddie & the Hot Rods who have a top ten hit in 1977 with do With Do Anything you Wanna do - Just Saying ..

Dean Macey - At least its a fishing programme on prime time TV, yes he's a bit boisterous but if it gets a few on the bank then thats a good thing.

Essex is ok by the way guys :)