Stick floats on winders

Reaction score
Pole rigs on winders are the only way to fly,but that is attaching not to line,but to adaptors and elastic,nylon to nylon isnt quite as forgiving,as I said much earlier and Kev has repeated its a personal choice,as is how many feeders people carry,incredible to me,one guy carried three boxes similar in size to very large boxes of chocolates,htf much do they weigh,how much room do they take up and more importantly imo,is it necessary to have five or six different types of feeder,plus surely a good angler would know which were liable to be effective on the venue anyway...

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Pole rigs on winders are the only way to fly,but that is attaching not to line,but to adaptors and elastic,nylon to nylon isnt quite as forgiving,as I said much earlier and Kev has repeated its a personal choice,as is how many feeders people carry,incredible to me,one guy carried three boxes similar in size to very large boxes of chocolates,htf much do they way,how much room do they take up and more importantly imo,is it necessary to have five or six different types of feeder,plus surely a good angler would know which were liable to be effective on the venue anyway...

Well, you say it's a personal choice... but then you go on to suggest if you use winders it's the wrong choice! :)

Reaction score
;)Because Kev,it is to me,still your choice,same as its your choice to hug your next door neighbour at the moment...

silvers

Reaction score
Must have been a terrible match angler not using winders,funny though my record wouldnt have said so,angling has changed,a lot,anglers carry so much gear they cant walk a field,when i was matching on rivers you often walked three ploughed ones lol,that was with a basket/seat box,todays match anglers turn up with two or three poles,a couple of whips,feeder rods and maybe a float rod,plus the paraphernalia to set all of those up,thats why match fishing on rivers has died off,there arent that many venues with close enough walks,or flat banks for trolleys,jack of all trades,master of none in the main,in my area I know of four top river match anglers,all between 55 and 68,one great angler in his mid twenties,taught by his dad,but still drawn to too many methods....
You were rubbish Alan ... be honest :p

I guess that you’re referring to baby Drak?

A few thoughts on your points:
1. A lot of venues that I fish these days offer a lot of different pegs ... with different baits and techniques to get the most out of them. So I might just draw the one peg where I’d fish a long pole ... so I need to carry it :( along with two float rods, a lead rod or two and a whip or two.
2. It’s rare these days (unless you’re on a chub flier) to maximise the weight from the peg by building a single swim, at least in the summer. For example at Kempston I’ll feed two caster lines, alternating between whip, stick and waggler to keep catching all through ... but also a “throwaway” chopped worm line for perch.
3. On sticks on winders ... I do it, partly because I’m lazy. I do think you’re right that a loop above the float can impair presentation. richox’s method is probably best.

Reaction score
Yes I am referring to Steve's lad Alex,would you carry that amount of gear to long walks? Also you say about your rigs/tackle requirements,but when I talk to anglers like Des Barker,they dont have so much set up for one peg,on many swims on the Ouse two lines are too many,splitting the fish,maybe a worm line or the like,that said methods change,poles dominate match fishing in a lot of cases,whether they should or not and whether that is because of anglers losing the ability to fish running line in many cases who knows...

silvers

Reaction score
James is very good, but he does push a ton of gear! I take less than most ... on the Ouse it’s two float rods, two whips, a pole and a lead rod.
Up until about 2014 I carried everywhere .. including a little platform. These days I use a platform barrow and it’s not too bad. Middle of bartonsham on the Wye is probably the longest walk on the circuit I fish now. But I do remember walking to top of hurdlefoot from the roadside back in the 80s. Would definitely need the barrow for that now.
With the multiple lines, definitely agree that you need to read the swim at the start and also adjust. Often knock one line on the head after a while. I also feed a LOT less than most on the rivers in the summer, particularly when after dace. My heavie feeding is from October onwards.

Reaction score
Feeding is venue,swim related,plus target species,most anglers know what their framing weight will be,give or take,so on venues you know,you would know the best way to achieve that out of any given peg,Des told me how he fished a knock up which was run as a rover to stop lucky drawers,Des had won the previous one,so the guy(cant remember who it was,but you would know him)who drew first off went into Des's previous winning peg,Des drew last away,looked for a peg with slackish water inside,though boily,everyone said why did he opt for it,anyway he won with 7lbs odd of small fish,more than a chub away from anyone else,they called him lucky,nah,its not luck to target a winning weight and achieve it,especially with small fish,if anglers sit on steak or cheese for 5hrs hoping for 2,maybe 3 chub,thats a real gamble,because all bites need hooking...

John Keane

Reaction score
Just realised I’ve had my stick floats on winders for a couple of years but got fixated with using them for Wagglers. :eek:mg: This is one for grayling on the Welsh Dee where you generally set depth for around 6ft so the rig is 9ft long. The bulk is an olivette that’s around 0.2g lighter than the specified loading so I can put a couple of other shot on to fine-tune it.

CD6-E45-F1-E231-4841-B67-C-B95-F5884-BEA1.jpg

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Just realised I’ve had my stick floats on winders for a couple of years but got fixated with using them for Wagglers. :eek:mg: This is one for grayling on the Welsh Dee where you generally set depth for around 6ft so the rig is 9ft long. The bulk is an olivette that’s around 0.2g lighter than the specified loading so I can put a couple of other shot on to fine-tune it.

View attachment 8609

Stick float!!!!!??????

John Keane

Reaction score
Stick float!!!!!??????

Well, it’s a Drennan Loafer so it’s in the stick float family in that it’s attached top and bottom and used for trotting. Just a progression, in modern materials, from floats like the Max Winters Big Balsa sticks.

Calm down you’ll burst a blood vessel :eek:mg:

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
You were rubbish Alan ... be honest

I guess that you’re referring to baby Drak?

That's a nick name from the past. Are we talking about Alan Draycott aka windbreak here?. Pete.

silvers

Reaction score
No Pete,

Not Big Al. I haven’t seen him since the early 90s! He coached my club team in division 2 on the Trent in 1989, along with “Bag Up”. I still see Tony occasionally.

Baby Drak is James Drakulic ... son of Steve ... dad was (still is) a very good river angler from Bedford. James spends a lot of his time on the roach matches in the Fens and does nicely thank you very much.

silvers

Reaction score
Feeding is venue,swim related,plus target species,most anglers know what their framing weight will be,give or take,so on venues you know,you would know the best way to achieve that out of any given peg,Des told me how he fished a knock up which was run as a rover to stop lucky drawers,Des had won the previous one,so the guy(cant remember who it was,but you would know him)who drew first off went into Des's previous winning peg,Des drew last away,looked for a peg with slackish water inside,though boily,everyone said why did he opt for it,anyway he won with 7lbs odd of small fish,more than a chub away from anyone else,they called him lucky,nah,its not luck to target a winning weight and achieve it,especially with small fish,if anglers sit on steak or cheese for 5hrs hoping for 2,maybe 3 chub,thats a real gamble,because all bites need hooking...

We’re definitely diverting now, but IMO many anglers were ten years too late to switch from fishing for chub to targeting the small fish. I’ve had 3 chub weights in the last year or so from the Ouse, That’s notable because my last before that was 2012 ... and I’ve won plenty in the intervening years. The same few names always make up the frame there, the anglers who can catch dace and roach (Neil Shearn, Mick Burrell, Paul Caton, Dave Tebbutt) ... add Willington and you can say Steve D, Paul R and Des.

I also fish the Warks Avon at a place called Barford. Brilliant water with loads of variety and many framing pegs. In fact I can only think of a handful out of forty that never throw up. You can frame with barbel, chub, perch, bream, dace or roach - but obviously not on every peg. Some anglers just fish for the barbel or chub every time ... occasionally they win. Others can adapt to get the most out of their peg and take home the majority of the spoils.
It was ever thus!

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I feel like I'm intruding, but it's not only match anglers who do or don't put rigs on winders, and if you do, it isn't a sign of carrying boxes of rigs and the kitchen sink. I leave all the trays and boxes of rig bits, floats, shot etc at home and armed with these

I'm lightened off enough to walk over two fields to swims like these with just a little stool.

where I can catch grayling like these

On that occasion, I caught 21 in 22 runs through. So what's up with rigs on winders?
I don't need the rest of the rig-making gear, and if I ever trash 3 rigs in one morning I'll crawl home in shame.

I expect Whitty will be along to tell me he'd have caught 23 in 22 runs through. :)

Reaction score
Sorry Kev,these conversations ping into view when discussing the subject matter,people that we know,or knew...your way of fishing is different to several on thread who match fish and lug enough kit for everyone on FM,lol.

To Alex,if Des or Drak and others like them were based in the midlands,they would be there or there abouts,its the nature of the beast,good anglers,match or pleasure adapt to their surroundings,few dont,I won as many matches with roach as i did with chub,at least three....and James Drakulic is a very good match angler,he has gone where the decent matches are,fair play to him for that....

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
....This is one for grayling on the Welsh Dee where you generally set depth for around 6ft so the rig is 9ft long. The bulk is an olivette that’s around 0.2g lighter than the specified loading so I can put a couple of other shot on to fine-tune it.

View attachment 8609

Why make it with 9ft of line ??If the depth is 6ft why even make it with 6ft of line ? If you fish with a bulk (shot/olivette) which doesn't move (very much) then all you need is a couple of foot of line with the bulk & droppers on. Then the mainline is attached and float is up on the mainline.

Strung rigs, of course, need longer lines but even then the float is always on the mainline.

trotter2

Reaction score
I make mine about 7ft. If your fishing a bulk you could (as pointed out) make them much shorter.
My loop on the rig is very small only about 8mm I blood knot that straight onto the main line. The connection is only small it does not interfere with presentation. I don't like the two loops method of connection it is way to big IMO.

Reaction score
I expect Whitty will be along to tell me he'd have caught 23 in 22 runs through. :)[/QUOTE]

Fcs,really...thats me done,gfy....