We're on again from thr 13/5/020

Hertsbloke

Reaction score
Thats a decision the day ticket fisheries will have to make before we load the car back up...

Reaction score
And each individual club too,some clubs may want to put signs up giving absolute guidance of social distancing,we had better get in quick as when this freedom gets going there is a risk of R+1 and lockdown restarting,three weeks grace,lets hope it doesn't,but.....

steve2

Reaction score
According to Boris it is now OK for me to drive from London, which still as a high virus rate, a few hundred miles for a days fishing taking the virus with me and possibly infect a few people on the way.
Fishing can wait a bit longer for my return it is not that important.
Make the most of it lockdown is coming back.

mikench

Reaction score
I don't think he said that at all. Travelling a few miles to a lake is possible but no mention was made about non essential travel to say visit relatives. If I can go fishing on Wednesday and go visit my Dad 70 miles away, ill go see my Dad.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
According to Boris it is now OK for me to drive from London, which still as a high virus rate, a few hundred miles for a days fishing taking the virus with me and possibly infect a few people on the way.
Fishing can wait a bit longer for my return it is not that important.
Make the most of it lockdown is coming back.

I see South Korea has re introduced lock-down after the cases started to rise again.

mikench

Reaction score
One of my clubs, whose website is normally months behind the times, is saying anglers can return on Wednesday taking care, leaving one empty peg between them and with no walking round.

steve2

Reaction score
I don't think he said that at all. Travelling a few miles to a lake is possible but no mention was made about non essential travel to say visit relatives. If I can go fishing on Wednesday and go visit my Dad 70 miles away, ill go see my Dad.

May be after todays meeting it will be made clear just what we can and can't do. According to the news there is a 50 page document on what this latest wording really means.

steve2

Reaction score
Email from my club, all waters will remain closed until some of the close together swims are closed off. Anyone caught fishing on Wednesday will be banned.
I will wait till the river section opens up, no one fishes that

wetthrough

Reaction score
One of my clubs, whose website is normally months behind the times, is saying anglers can return on Wednesday taking care, leaving one empty peg between them and with no walking round.

I think that's only for Border fisheries Mike - "Border Rules". The general rules are (assuming you're talking about Bay Malton) as per Angling Trust which states "Maintain a distance of 15 metres from other anglers whilst fishing." Which I think most pegs are anyway.

mikench

Reaction score
Ah ok . It was BM I referred to. Nothing on the websites of PAAs or WAA as yet.

How are you fixed Gordon? :goodcast::fish2:

rich66

Reaction score
I’m optimistic my club will reopen, Thursday is my day off so I’ll go if I can. I would rather be able to see my children and my granddaughter who don’t live with us. But it’s got to be this way, the risks of catching it on the bank must be very minimal, the risk to people’s mental health is high. I for one will be awfully glad to be able to get away for a while.

ian g

Reaction score
I'm not sure I would travel to far to fish , the canal is walking distance from my home and fairly remote so that would be my first choice . As Rich66 says risk while fishing is low and it's good for your mental health.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I see South Korea has re introduced lock-down after the cases started to rise again.

And now as well as South Korea, Wuhan have reported 17 new cases! Two countries that lifted the lock down too early it looks to me. Will we learn from it, not likely, we never took any notice before.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am still trying to fathom the content of the PM's broadcast last night and am failing.

It seems to go totally against the intent of their 5 "rules" that have been spouted ad nauseum noting that the infection rate is not declining.

To my mind it is a reckless and foolish "political" act and one that will, in all probability, have to be recinded in short order.

In recent weeks the public were told that they are being "driven by the science" but this act of foolishness seems to be far more driven by the economics and nothing else.
The sums published for subsidising the furloughing of staff are higher than any previous borrowing in modern history and it seems that those numbers are driving reckless dictates.

As to going back to work I think many employers will be even more confused and concerned about potential problems arising from their 'duty of care' to their employees.

This morning we are told that only visitors from Ireland and France will be allowed into the uk without mandatory isolation . . . which means that airports in France will see much more international traffic for flights to the uk.

As far as coarse fishing is concerned I am not worried at all as I personally observe the old close season anyway (and have always done so) so for me it is not a problem.

I will not risk going fly fishing either, as much as I'd love to, as being in an "at risk" group, and having had a long previous ecounter with ICU I think it is just not worth it.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Of course it is driven by the economy and populism Peter, look at the last paragraph of the Angling trust's statement, looking for new members, that's where their heart lays. I am not blaming them but I am not being fooled into thinking either of them have my life on their minds either. Boris has been under a lot of pressure to do something from the economists and he has been weak and given in to it.
I am looking for a figure of 100 or less and then i will wait for two weeks and make a decision then. I am not going mad, coping OK and have plenty of things to do, I could catch this anywhere, on a lake , on the sea front even indoors but I don't intend to increase my risk any more than I have to. Seeing those people dying who cannot breath, sedated laying on their fronts is enough for me. If I am going to go i go but hopefully not like that.

Last edited: