Distressed fish

no-one in particular

Reaction score
There was a bit about that in my paper yesterday. It was initiated by the Canal body. They are saying that due to the mild and sunny weather the last few weeks thee has been an algae bloom and they want anglers and the public to report distressed fish as they have do not have the resources to monitor themselves. Apparently there have already been a more than usual high number of reports.

wetthrough

Reaction score
It's surprising that it's happened so early. It happens pretty much every year on one of the waters I fish but usually at the height of summer and a really long hot period. It's been warm for a while but not that warm in comparison.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Yes, I thought that when i read it. And here on the coast we have not had the usual algae bloom in the sea, we call it May water and it is the death of fishing from the shore. I thought I smelt a whiff of it a few weeks ago when it got hot but it has gone recently probably because it turned colder. So, I wouldn't have thought there would be any big problem inland.

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
It's surprising that it's happened so early. It happens pretty much every year on one of the waters I fish but usually at the height of summer and a really long hot period. It's been warm for a while but not that warm in comparison.

I understand it’s also to do with atmospheric pressure. But yes temperature is the biggest factor and surface agitation, which effects gas exchange through the surface layer.