Post lockdown fishing

Reaction score
I am dreading another five days of fine weather,the stupidity will continue,as for moving Mike,though im ok for cash thanks,if I moved my funds would be severely depleted,so not really an option,my neighbours in the main are ok,but have ideas different to my own,if I wanted to have a drink with my neighbours(if?)I would set up seating in the garden,not sit out on the pavement or tarmac,especially in pandemic times,I dont even want to step outside the house in case of confrontation,there have been three families out front this morning,shaking head smilie here....

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Its funny Mike because this morning I had an early walk on the canal towpath. Well I can say, and even if i had been a few years since I last fished this stretch (always walking and looking for predators) and even if lure fishing has become more popular in UK over the last years, I've never seen so many lure anglers!

All fishing in the wrong place, with a basic spoon, and any rod.

I'm not saying it's a problem, just realising the same thing: fishing suddenly is an attractive activity! Sometimes seeing 2 or 3 anglers together.

Reaction score
Just to add onto my neighbour issue,the couple next door aren't talking to my missus(don't know how I stand),just don't get it,because the wife asked nicely if the kids wouldnt kick the balls against the doors and windows,bloody hell when I was a kid i'd have got a clip round the ear from my dad or mum as well,discipline is non-existent sadly...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Its funny Mike because this morning I had an early walk on the canal towpath. Well I can say, and even if i had been a few years since I last fished this stretch (always walking and looking for predators) and even if lure fishing has become more popular in UK over the last years, I've never seen so many lure anglers!

All fishing in the wrong place, with a basic spoon, and any rod.

I'm not saying it's a problem, just realising the same thing: fishing suddenly is an attractive activity! Sometimes seeing 2 or 3 anglers together.
Have you ever thought these are "fish for the pot merchants" ? There were 3 on when I was on the canal a couple of weeks ago, Sat on the grass fishing a cheap telescopic whip each and a carrier bag nearby.and no landing net or a box of floats ,weights etc. And how did i know, ? Because I asked them if they had caught anything and got blank looks instead.I was tempted to get a club bailiff badge with my name and photo on it from car and crack on it was for that stretch and tell them to go.but the two lads i was with didnt want to seem to get involved. If I had had the EA incident number with me I would have phoned that.lotsof canal stretches do not get bailiffed, that is why poaching is rife.
You may have seen lots of lure anglers but I bet the majority were poaching.

Reaction score
Definitely Mark,it is too easy for these guys,lets be honest,the heaviest thing they have to carry is the fish they are stealing.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
If you feel upset on the canal, Mark, then please show the badge on the Thames! The last 3-4 times I was along the Thames in the city centre (for ducks and birds feeding reasons), there were anglers, having a good time with a lure or a float... I doubt they've ever heard of a licence or the EA!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
If you feel upset on the canal, Mark, then please show the badge on the Thames! The last 3-4 times I was along the Thames in the city centre (for ducks and birds feeding reasons), there were anglers, having a good time with a lure or a float... I doubt they've ever heard of a licence or the EA!
The incident number for the EA is in the post above yours, 0800 80 70 60 Put it in your phone,
Or dial 101 for police, ask for incident number when you have reported what you have seen, they may not turn up but having the incident number and it gets reported again you can mention the incident number from previous phone call. Amazing what that can do.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Perhaps it's a better option. Didn't know that.

But you shouldn't give this number to me!! Now I have it I might spend the day on the phone, since I would report other more serious incidents first.

After all, the occasional, potentially English-speaker or not (i.e. I don't care) poacher-angler is an ethical disturbance, and I hate it. I say ethical because they will probably blank even more than me and will be gone on different activities once all this is over.

But recently, the main disturbance comes from those boat owners claiming to be self-isolating and restricting the public access to the path, while totally ignoring social distancing and organising social drinks (alcohol smell covering the field from the canal to the village this morning)...

Those hundreds of people smoking their s*t or drinking at every corner of the city, river path or local park...

Those dozens of young people gathering around the Thames to spend the day together in bikini (in fact, why do we keep them out of school?)...

Not making fun of you Mark, at all. Rather pessimistic from what I can see when I go out

I'll also report the PM for gross negligence and damage to lives but I'm not sure they'll record this minor incident :unsure:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Perhaps it's a better option. Didn't know that.

But you shouldn't give this number to me!! Now I have it I might spend the day on the phone, since I would report other more serious incidents first.

After all, the occasional, potentially English-speaker or not (i.e. I don't care) poacher-angler is an ethical disturbance, and I hate it. I say ethical because they will probably blank even more than me and will be gone on different activities once all this is over.

But recently, the main disturbance comes from those boat owners claiming to be self-isolating and restricting the public access to the path, while totally ignoring social distancing and organising social drinks (alcohol smell covering the field from the canal to the village this morning)...

Those hundreds of people smoking their s*t or drinking at every corner of the city, river path or local park...

Those dozens of young people gathering around the Thames to spend the day together in bikini (in fact, why do we keep them out of school?)...

Not making fun of you Mark, at all. Rather pessimistic from what I can see when I go out

I'll also report the PM for gross negligence and damage to lives but I'm not sure they'll record this minor incident :unsure:,
You could always apply to be a PCSO or a voluntary EA bailiff, they do courses in various areas ,because then you could do something about the indignation of what you see around you when you are out instead of rel6on others to report things,

rayner

Reaction score
I'm not in favour of volunteer bailiffs, or PCSO volunteers if the job needs doing (which both shown do) anyone doing the job should be paid their worth.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not in favour of volunteer bailiffs, or PCSO volunteers if the job needs doing (which both shown do) anyone doing the job should be paid their worth.

can‘t disagree with that In light of and old teenage pal being murdered last week when confronting poachers on a Kent lake.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
The VBS i know luckily have had no issues, and the area coordinator is on the ball.
That is in the north west, also the clubhave good relations with local police, one is a member of the club and another who is a dog handler goes for walks around club waters. Sometimes takes the dogs

rayner

Reaction score
I'm not up to speed with bailiffs locally, not this season any way. My thoughts over recent years regarding bailiffs are there's certainly a shortage around Sheffield. Unless the venue I fish anglers are more trustworthy, that would be hard to swallow ;) I am from Sheff.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have never agreed with this volunteer bailiffing either but would we pay for their pay if the EA employed more of them through our licence or taxes?

mikench

Reaction score
Club bailiffs, on my clubs, are not paid and only receive free membership in lieu. It can be a thankless task and sometimes a potentially dangerous one. A few become a little too officious and full of their own importance like golf club captains. Most however are preserving your fish stocks and protecting your fishing rights.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Lymm Bailiffs are voluntary, I got a free membership along with some others , other bailiffs got free overstamp to fish premier waters in close season so to speak,
I was fair but firm,at one time if they came out with the excuse "we didnt know", i would check card to see if new member or renewal. If new member they were advised of rules, if renewal they were told to leave the water.
It was happening too much, so we took zero tolerance approach last year, due to having to tick a box saying you have read the and understood the rules ,before you could continue with membership application/renewal.
I no longer bailiff for the club after end of this month.