Ever have a favorite rod break and then wonder how to repair it when possible?

spoonminnow

Reaction score
I must break at least 2 rods per year - yesterday I found one broken closer to the handle that wasn't secured in the back of the truck. Last year the break was closer to the tip. This method has worked for both rods - even a St. Croix rod left in a garbage can at the lake.

The first one I used a hack saw to cut off a section that was thin enough to fit into the handle section. This next step is crucial in case there is a split in the fiberglass: I use 15 # test braid line and superglue while wrapping it around both sections and then back again with more glue. Cast it and it did fine.

The smaller section near the tip can be aligned to the rod/ under the blank with an overlap of about 1.5" and wrapped with 8# test braid and superglued the same way. The repair will hold when playing a fish as long as the drag set properly. This advice is only for those favorite rods you don't want to trash.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Touch wood I haven’t sustained such a calamity. I broke a tip on a rod but obtained a replacement section. I do find though that clumsiness like age increases with time.

Keith M

Reaction score
I broke about 3 inches off of the fine tip of an old favourite waggler rod once and just araldited 2cm of sewing needle inside the two broken pieces to fix it.
I could have just stuck the tip ring onto the unbroken end and made the rod 3 inches shorter but the fix worked perfectly and I didn’t need to re-adjusted any of the ring spacings either.

Back in the late 70s I trod on a Shakespeare Match International float rod and broke the rod just in front of the handle once and fixed it by wrapping some fibreglass cloth soaked in fibreglass resin around the break and it lasted me a few more years and won me a few club matches using it.

I was given an 11mtr Pole once that had seen better days, and I had to use a proprietary carbon spray to build up the joints which were very badly worn, and fix a break using the old fibreglass cloth trick that I had previously used on my old Match International rod; and I won a few matches using the Pole afterwards.

But all these things were done back in my more youthful years.

Keith

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I did once fix a splitcane rod that had a broken top section it need a lot of work, regluing and rewhipping. I used it and later sold it on so I didn’t do a bad job on the repair.

I do have a Peter Cockwill small water fly rod that I some how managed to stand on cracking the bottom section. I have repaired it but don’t think it will ever stand up to the pressure of fly-casting. Carbon breaks I find are not easy to repair so I don't bother, I just buy a new rod.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Thanks for the reply.
Today I caught fish on the rod that was broken near the handle and had no problem fighting some nice crappie. Problem occured when one blank came out of the other when casting.(I thought it was busted for good.) Brought it home, slipped in a nail that fit inside the blank and super glued it again. We'll see how it works now. Funny though - the rod is longer by about 5" seeing as how I used the top part from another rod that broke last year. (Pays to keep broken rod parts.)
I would not have superglued the parts on any rod breaks, Superglue is not waterproof, and over time the parts repaired may move, I would have used a two part epoxy resin for repairs,
Some years ago I caught the edge on a section of my pole when putting sections together, I heard a crack as I caught the edge and saw the carbon layers come apart at the edge, Got home, mixed up epoxy resin, applied with needle between layers and a spring loaded clamp and padding help them in place for a day, the section is as good as new now and has seen plenty of use .