Loop to loop problem.

black kite

Reaction score
I wonder if any of the members have the same problem as me with attaching new hook lengths
I use the sensas loop tyer to make quite small loops and find that after a while these loops tend to close up. When I think I need to change the hook I sometimes find I am wasting valuable time trying to get the point of the usually size 20 hook through the closed up loop. Any ideas?

black kite

Reaction score
The problem is not the loop tyer. The line in the loop is sticking together making it a pain to pass the hook point through the mainline loop

Reaction score
Have a size 2 barbless hook,or something similar sitting ready,a bent large needle perhaps,put the point through,ease it to the bend and put it under tension,it will leave a nice loop again.I'm curious,is this on pole rigs?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I use a knot pick to open flat loops....

Paste paul

Reaction score
I wonder if any of the members have the same problem as me with attaching new hook lengths
I use the sensas loop tyer to make quite small loops and find that after a while these loops tend to close up. When I think I need to change the hook I sometimes find I am wasting valuable time trying to get the point of the usually size 20 hook through the closed up loop. Any ideas?
Yes it’s a pain.......
I normally use a 4 turn water knot to join my lines but sometimes use the loop to loop....
I too tried the senses loop tyer as it made beautiful small loops which look super..... unfortunately I found two problems
One was I seemed to get more tangles involving the loops and.......
The other was your problem.....
What I did/do is push the two loops towards each other holding knots...... when they open up I gently pull the loop apart....... it’s fiddly though.

black kite

Reaction score
Have a size 2 barbless hook,or something similar sitting ready,a bent large needle perhaps,put the point through,ease it to the bend and put it under tension,it will leave a nice loop again.I'm curious,is this on pole rigs?
Yes it is on pole rigs.

Reaction score
Right,this isn't a accusation,lol,but if you dont re-do your rigs the loops will get more stretched,we are all guilty of it at times,we cant expect to catch fair amounts of fish on a rig and only change the hooklink:),another tool I use is the Korda baiting needle,a very smooth chromed tool which does the job admirably. Hope that is some help...

black kite

Reaction score
Right,this isn't a accusation,lol,but if you dont re-do your rigs the loops will get more stretched,we are all guilty of it at times,we cant expect to catch fair amounts of fish on a rig and only change the hooklink:),another tool I use is the Korda baiting needle,a very smooth chromed tool which does the job admirably. Hope that is some help...
Quite right. Fair comment I do sometimes over use the rigs. I think the baiting needle thing seems a good idea.

Reaction score
That is what we are here for,full of useless information,thats us,my missus is always telling me so,lol...

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
How are you doing loop to loop.
Dont put hook through it's own loop.

That’s what I was thinking. You should push the mainline loop through the hook link loop and then pass the hook out via the mainline loop. That’s how I was shown to do it as it is supposed to be stronger and far easier to untie by pushing the loops together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
That’s what I was thinking. You should push the mainline loop through the hook link loop and then pass the hook out via the mainline loop. That’s how I was shown to do it as it is supposed to be stronger and far easier to untie by pushing the loops together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was doing that yesterday with 5lbs mainline and 5lbs hooklength, held them at knots on loop and pushed together, came apart easily,
When you push them apart, the knot looks like a version of a reef knot.
I think if you put the hook through it's own loop, it's called a strangulated knot, and very difficult to undo

rayner

Reaction score
You could always teach yourself to tie figure 8 knots and forget the loops, they'll be no issues with a correctly tied figure 8. It takes a couple of minutes extra, not much time for what I consider a better knot.

Reaction score
I find it impossible to tie loops with a tyer as small as I can by hand,also I use what is supposed to be an inferior knot,i'm afraid for everything from carp,barbel,chub,down to gudgeon on light or heavy tackle I have never ever had an issue....

rayner

Reaction score
My problem with loop tying is the simple fact that it's two knots where figure 8 is only one knot.
The extra time to tie a figure 8 is only for me, I used to tie the knot in seconds when dexterity wasn't an issue.