Swivel to Elastic - Pole Fishing Setup

tommybagboa

Reaction score
Hi I need to elasticate my pole today and had an idea. I am very inexperienced in pole fishing so advice from other members would be really helpful.

At the tip end of the pole is it possible I can put a bead on and then through the bead tie the elastic to a quick change swivel? That way I can just hook my rig loops on to the quick change swivel and take them off when I need to change tactic? In my head this is surely the best way to do it instead of getting a Dacron connector and tying the rig to this. Please can someone tell me if my method will work? The main thing for me is not losing the rig to the fish!

thanks

Paste paul

Reaction score
The best way to do it if you want to use a swivel is.......
Use hollow elastic and get a size 10 swivel push it inside the elastic so half of it is inside the elastic....
Now get some strong line and wrap it round the elastic over the swivel and tie a knot this stops the swivel from popping out.......
Just fix the rig on using the same method you would use for Dacron....
No beads are required and it is a neat way to do it....
The elastic also lasts a fair while as there is no knot.
Hope this helps

tommybagboa

Reaction score
Thanks I like this idea! So I push the swivel inside the hollow section and then use the line to tie it in place. I’d still be a bit worried the fish will pull the swivel out of the elastic but will give it a try thanks!

rayner

Reaction score
It's a long time since I fastened a swivel to elastic. Older pole anglers will remember the pole crook the connector then was just an O ring if I couldn't get an O I'd use a swivel.
If I was to fasten a swivel now I'd just put a loop of the elastic through the swivel then tie it like a Palomar knot, Google the knot, it's the simplest knot to tie.

Paste paul

Reaction score
Thanks I like this idea! So I push the swivel inside the hollow section and then use the line to tie it in place. I’d still be a bit worried the fish will pull the swivel out of the elastic but will give it a try thanks!
It does work..... for anything between a hollow 12 and 16 a size 10 swivel is perfect.....
Tie I in properly and it will be there forever.....

Paste paul

Reaction score
It's a long time since I fastened a swivel to elastic. Older pole anglers will remember the pole crook the connector then was just an O ring if I couldn't get an O I'd use a swivel.
If I was to fasten a swivel now I'd just put a loop of the elastic through the swivel then tie it like a Palomar knot, Google the knot, it's the simplest knot to tie.
It’s not necessary to tie a knot just use a loop as you would with Dacron..... it’s still quick release and re- usable

Paste paul

Reaction score
Why not use these, much easier

It’s just a different way of doing it.....
It’s very neat and smalll....
Also the elastic doesn’t rot as you’re not tying a knot in it .......

rayner

Reaction score
It’s not necessary to tie a knot just use a loop as you would with Dacron..... it’s still quick release and re- usable

I don't think tying to dacron is as secure as tying to a thin metal swivel.
If tommybagboa is against dacron then peter crabtree's idea is best in my opinion.
Personally I believe his swivel idea is a bad move.
Foolish error, tying to dacron would be more secure than tying to a thin metal swivel.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I would be wary of using a swivel for the reason if you get snagged and pull for a break, there is a slim chance of the rig flying back and swivel in elastic hitting pole tip. I know you can wrap towel round elastic and pull for break or hold tip of pole under water, also I have seen a few pull out of decent fish with elastic at full stretch and stonfo/dacron connector fly back and hit pole tip. In my view metal and carbon dont mix,

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
The best way to do it if you want to use a swivel is.......
Use hollow elastic and get a size 10 swivel push it inside the elastic so half of it is inside the elastic....
Now get some strong line and wrap it round the elastic over the swivel and tie a knot this stops the swivel from popping out.......
Just fix the rig on using the same method you would use for Dacron....
No beads are required and it is a neat way to do it....
The elastic also lasts a fair while as there is no knot.
Hope this helps
How do you stop this set up from disappearing down pole tip if no bead involved Paul.?
A lot of anglers have a decent clearance around pole tip and elastic for it to flow freely when a fish is on.
I would say dacron connectors either home made or a branded make will give you more direct contact on the strike than a swivel set up and also a stonfo set up. I did try the crows foot knot but after losing a good carp with the rig cutting through the elastic I went back to dacron and at the time stonfo for light elastics.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Why not use these, much easier

I have these on my margin pole topkits, The main reason being is that if I trash a rig ,it is easier to take remains of old one off and put new one on than pulling on two pieces of line to pull a loop free from dacron connector.
All other topkits are dacron connectors because mainly for open water or a mudline approach.

Paste paul

Reaction score
How do you stop this set up from disappearing down pole tip if no bead involved Paul.?
A lot of anglers have a decent clearance around pole tip and elastic for it to flow freely when a fish is on.
I would say dacron connectors either home made or a branded make will give you more direct contact on the strike than a swivel set up and also a stonfo set up. I did try the crows foot knot but after losing a good carp with the rig cutting through the elastic I went back to dacron and at the time stonfo for light elastics.
Yes this can be an issue if you have the pole cut right back......the elastic needs to be just smaller than the aperture.... bear in mind I use larger elastics than most because I don’t use puller bungs so for carp it would be a 14 or 16 hollow.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I don't think tying to dacron is as secure as tying to a thin metal swivel.
If tommybagboa is against dacron then peter crabtree's idea is best in my opinion.
Personally I believe his swivel idea is a bad move.
Foolish error, tying to dacron would be more secure than tying to a thin metal swivel.
Honestly it works just as well as on Dacron.....
It’s just a different way of doing things......
I never use Dacron as I believe it’s not direct enough......
When you get a bite the Dacron moves a few inches before it connects with the elastic....... a crows foot or swivel or bead is very direct .....

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Yes this can be an issue if you have the pole cut right back......the elastic needs to be just smaller than the aperture.... bear in mind I use larger elastics than most because I don’t use puller bungs so for carp it would be a 14 or 16 hollow.
I have Drennan bungee upto 16/18 on side pullers in margin pole, and upto Preston 17h in main pole on side pullers, all topkits have decent clearance for elastic.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I have Drennan bungee upto 16/18 on side pullers in margin pole, and upto Preston 17h in main pole on side pullers, all topkits have decent clearance for elastic.
It’s nice that drennan bungee ? it was the first real hollow I used and I landed loads of fish ......
pullers are a personal thing .........
I don’t feel the need to use them and I do ok ...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Honestly it works just as well as on Dacron.....
It’s just a different way of doing things......
I never use Dacron as I believe it’s not direct enough......
When you get a bite the Dacron moves a few inches before it connects with the elastic....... a crows foot or swivel or bead is very direct .....
How can the Dacron move a few inches before it connects with the elastic,?
The dacron is connected behind a knot at end of elastic, with about an inch sticking out from dacron bush for pole rig,

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
It’s nice that drennan bungee ? it was the first real hollow I used and I landed loads of fish ......
pullers are a personal thing .........
I don’t feel the need to use them and I do ok ...
Funny enough Paul all my topkits apart from 2 match kits on my poles and grandsons margin pole have side pullers, but I very rarely use them. Prefer to let elastic do the job .

Paste paul

Reaction score
How can the Dacron move a few inches before it connects with the elastic,?
The dacron is connected behind a knot at end of elastic, with about an inch sticking out from dacron bush for pole rig,
Watch the end of the Dacron when you get a bite it moves a fair way before it tightens up to the rig