Pellets for roach

Phil Adams

Reaction score
Hi all. Do any of you use pellets for roach? If so, which loose feeding pellets and soft hookers do you use?

I'm wanting to have a stock of bait so I can I can grab and go without needing to rely on maggots.

Thanks

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi all. Do any of you use pellets for roach? If so, which loose feeding pellets and soft hookers do you use?

I'm wanting to have a stock of bait so I can I can grab and go without needing to rely on maggots.

Thanks

I'd rather use bread and sweetcorn they are handy go to baits. Just keep em frozen for when you need them.

Phil Adams

Reaction score
The Ouse in Bedford and parts of the Ivel. I prefer maggots but often fish random short sessions here and there. Since moving house I've not got my bait fridge available and the big American fridge in the kitchen is off limits lol. I have relied on bread flake but I'm never quite as confident with it. So my mind turned to using pellets. I thought about a sack of 3mm skrettings and some soft hookers but wondered if anyone had any better suggestions.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I tried experimenting with pellets for a while, not a lot of success on rivers to be honest but Red Robin were the most recommended ones to me. For roach a small tin of easy pull sweetcorn are about as convenient as it gets. There are several flavored types available as well although I have not tried them but, I did try jam soaked sweetcorn which was very good for bream. Roach like aniseed apparently, maybe try that. Most of the small hooker pellets I tried were fish based smell types like halibut or krill. I was looking for something like worm/bloodworm type of flavor/smell but never found any. Like you I was looking for an easy, ready go something to keep in the bag that did not go off once opened for river fish like bream and roach. I think the problem was as the rivers I fished hardly see any anglers they are not conditioned to pellets and apart from one or two odd fish just did not work well, but then why does sweetcorn or bread!!

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
The best pellets for roach are Robin Red. Mainly the size I use is 8mm using 4 and 6mm as loose feed. Unfortunately 10mm is not available and 12mm is a little too big. RR paste is sometimes used over the pellets.

Other baits used: wheat, hemp, tares, gungo peas, dead maggots, flake, crust, mini boilies, sweetcorn.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Softened 2mm as feed and dynamite baits F1 sweet soft hookers, I use 6mm and cut them in half sometimes. (Use a scalpel) .
Not only attract roach, but skimmers, even had perch on them.
The 2mms can be enhanced by using sonu baits ?coconut flavouring or sonu baits F1 flavouring.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I tried experimenting with pellets for a while, not a lot of success on rivers to be honest but Red Robin were the most recommended ones to me. For roach a small tin of easy pull sweetcorn are about as convenient as it gets. There are several flavored types available as well although I have not tried them but, I did try jam soaked sweetcorn which was very good for bream. Roach like aniseed apparently, maybe try that. Most of the small hooker pellets I tried were fish based smell types like halibut or krill. I was looking for something like worm/bloodworm type of flavor/smell but never found any. Like you I was looking for an easy, ready go something to keep in the bag that did not go off once opened for river fish like bream and roach. I think the problem was as the rivers I fished hardly see any anglers they are not conditioned to pellets and apart from one or two odd fish just did not work well, but then why does sweetcorn or bread!!
Buy a bag of skrettings pellets in sizes to suit and soften them , there are plenty of worm ,bloodworm flavourings to add to them,, Or buy a bag of bloodworm pellets.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Buy a bag of skrettings pellets in sizes to suit and soften them , there are plenty of worm ,bloodworm flavourings to add to them,, Or buy a bag of bloodworm pellets.
I never found any bloodworm pellets Mark in my local tackle shop and they had a good selection, nothing bloodworm or worm flavouring either and nothing that you did not have to soak , could use straight from the tub and kept for a week in your bag for a week once opened. I found sonu baits and something else in soft hooker pellets krill halibut ect but they did not work but they did last, still a half empty little box of them in my bag from last year and they seemed OK last time I looked. I could only find Robin Red in hard pellets as well. Next time I visit the tackle shop I will have another look round.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I never found any bloodworm pellets Mark in my local tackle shop and they had a good selection, nothing bloodworm or worm flavouring either and nothing that you did not have to soak , could use straight from the tub and kept for a week in your bag for a week once opened. I found sonu baits and something else in soft hooker pellets krill halibut ect but they did not work but they did last, still a half empty little box of them in my bag from last year and they seemed OK last time I looked. I could only find Robin Red in hard pellets as well. Next time I visit the tackle shop I will have another look round.
Have you got a Go Outdoors near to you.?
They sell a good range good range of groundbait and pellets.

rayner

Reaction score
If I were to use pellet for roach I would feed softened micros and use 2mm and 4mm Pro Expanders for the hook. Pro expanders don't need pumping just soften in water, another plus they don't go mushy.

The Sogster

Reaction score
I've never had much success with roach on pellets of any description.

I much prefer bread in its various forms, or maggots with a drop of geranium oil.

Reaction score
I use pellets a lot for roach Phil,seem to work best on stillwaters for me,G&M growers(Biggleswade if you didn't know)carp pellets,cheap as chips,however you won't catch many on the Ouse on em get some hemp and tares(same vendor),cook em up,freeze them,bag the hemp in 1.5pt bags,tares a tea cup full,works very well up till mid-September,sometimes all year round,if river conditions are right....

Sean89

Reaction score
The Ouse in Bedford and parts of the Ivel. I prefer maggots but often fish random short sessions here and there. Since moving house I've not got my bait fridge available and the big American fridge in the kitchen is off limits lol. I have relied on bread flake but I'm never quite as confident with it. So my mind turned to using pellets. I thought about a sack of 3mm skrettings and some soft hookers but wondered if anyone had any better suggestions.
I fish in bedford down the Embankment and use corn for everything, loose feed hemp and fish the smallest corn you can find or cut the big bits in half, the Roach go mad for it so make sure you have your discorger handy ???

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I fish in bedford down the Embankment and use corn for everything, loose feed hemp and fish the smallest corn you can find or cut the big bits in half, the Roach go mad for it so make sure you have your discorger handy ???
Have tried fishing the corn skins, ? Squeeze the centre from the corn and just fish the skin.The centres can be used as loose feed.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’m Into my third season fishing a local estate lake, never caught any decent roach until this season when I have started using 8mm robin red pellets, tench being the target but had some nice roach on them. Loose feed hemp and few pellets.

Sean89

Reaction score
Have tried fishing the corn skins, ? Squeeze the centre from the corn and just fish the skin.The centres can be used as loose feed.
No I’ve never tried mate, tbh these usually suck the inner out and leave you with the shell ?