Anyone tried peas.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Bumped into an old Irish mate yesterday and we got talking fishing, he said one of the best fish he ever caught was on peas. I think he said it was a roach, he was two sheets gone so couldn't understand much of what he said but definitely heard peas.. Never tried them myself, never thought of it but on reflection, whats not to like, sweet and salt just like sweetcorn, natural looking. I might try them but which ones, frozen, tinned, mushy, garden, big, small. I reckon they would take a dye or flavouring as well. the tinned ones are already dyed green, they are harvested dried and yellow when hardened in the sun and then flavoring sugar, salt and a green dye added when tinned in the factory, yuk but open to experiment.
While writing this lentils came to mind as well, I know nothing about them, any ideas?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thanks Seth, there you go, thought they might be worth trying and he caught a rudd as well. I might give them a go next time I go fishing.

sam vimes

Reaction score
A lot of the boilie brigade will have been using them, whether they realise it or not, in the last five years or so. Many of the boilie manufacturers have been introducing pea protein based boilies instead of fish meal. This is partly down to the ever increasing cost of fishmeal and partly down to the environmental impact of it.

Reemul

Reaction score
Yeah I am going to try this tomorrow, not got a lot to lose as catching not a lot at the moment

The Runner

Reaction score
Caught bream on them in the 1980s on the Shannon at Banagher. Admittedly this was on the "Pea Factory" swims where the place (might have been Batchelors) used to pump out a lot of the food waste into the river.
Seemed to fish better on the days when there was a higher proportion of meat waste going in.

peterjg

Reaction score
Occasionally I use gungo peas, they are similar to baked beans. Bought dry in a packet from Morrison's. I microwave and flavour them and fish them on the bottom, feed hemp. I use them for roach but have also had most other species: tench, ide, chub, barbel, carp, bream. It's one of those "sometimes" baits - sometimes they work really well but for me overall too inconsistent.

mikench

Reaction score
Ive caught on a pea and corn cocktail having bought a tin containing both. I've also caught on black peas( maple peas) and chick peas. Anything is worth a try .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Be interesting to see if they catch anything in the river, I might take some next time I go just to see. I expect the chub will, they take anything but roach! Nice size bait for big roach maybe. I will probably be using hemp and caster but I will set up a little side area with just peas and fish on it when the main area is quiet.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have some good fish on peas over the years,I fished a commercial in the north west a couple of years ago,I potted in on the far side and the near side marginthe contents of a tin of beef broth, the one containing barley and veg, and alternated swims by fishing green peas and black peas. Had a cheap brilliant days sport. , For those in the North West especially the Wigan and Leigh areas must have tried fishing black peas on the hook and feeding caster or hemp.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have been know to take peas combined with fish, chips and gravy ?.
I've also been tempted by pea soup, even a pea and ham cocktail soup?.

john step

Reaction score
Another one carp and tench go for are red kidney beans straight from the tin .

Molehill

Reaction score
Tried peas back in the early 70s for carp. I used tinned broad beans a lot and they fished well (this was before modern boilies, pellets etc) and we were always looking for something different - the Holy Grail of bait!
Peas seemed an obvious but for some reason I never did much good on them, felt I should have been catching but I didn't. Methods and knowledge have changed since then so maybe you will do well, but they were a dissapointment for me then and I have not revisited the bait.

Aknib

Reaction score
I've often thought about trying peas but have never had the confidence to give them a go.

This whole thread conjures up visions of the Spitting Images portrayal of a very grey looking John Major poking peas around his dinner plate whilst telling the long suffering Norma how interesting they are.

Sorry...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I've often thought about trying peas but have never had the confidence to give them a go.

This whole thread conjures up visions of the Spitting Images portrayal of a very grey looking John Major poking peas around his dinner plate whilst telling the long suffering Norma how interesting they are.

Sorry...
There's a thought, Curry peas!!!

rayner

Reaction score
Tares are a type of pea I've used them. Pearl barley, wheat and adzuki beans. Tares are definitely the best by far.
Not tried peas, we have seed baits hemp, tares with occasionally for me wheat. Wheat of good quality is tricky to find where I live luckily tares are good bait.