Progold monofilament

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
I’ve been following this debate but I haven’t seen ( might have missed it) what properties this line has that are better than e.g. Maxima which is what I use pretty much every where, except for trotting. I’ve never really thought of moving away from Maxima but I guess you have to move with the times- what’s better - I mostly feeder fish rivers.

Reaction score
I dont only use sensor, I use
Shimano silk shock and Aspire, and Aernos.
Guru N gauge
Preston reflo.
All depending on the situation.
SLM ??✊??

So you have a history of using garbage lines then Mark???amazing really as i've found all of those lines to be lacking in what I want in a line,no line is perfect however,it's all a compromise in some shape or form,God,I hope we reach 200 posts soon...

Reaction score
Hugh,maxima is a good,robust line and has stood the test of time,however it is dark in colour,so is very visible and isn't very supple,there are situations that doesn't matter,but there are others where it really does,I didn't mention abrasion resistance because maxima is pretty good in that regard too,one thing I have personally had an issue with sensor is it's stretch,which it has in abundance in my eyes,too much for me...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
So you have a history of using garbage lines then Mark???amazing really as i've found all of those lines to be lacking in what I want in a line,no line is perfect however,it's all a compromise in some shape or form,God,I hope we reach 200 posts soon...
Maxima,
Person
Racine Tortue.
Drennan floatfish,
All been used,
I remember DAM bringing an oval shaped line out some years ago. Even tried that.

Reaction score
Tried those and many,many more,some were good,some poor,but thats the way of it eh? Many years ago I used Bayer Super Soft,it was the same colour as pro-gold,it was an excellent reel line,far better than Perlon ever was in my book.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Hugh,maxima is a good,robust line and has stood the test of time,however it is dark in colour,so is very visible and isn't very supple,there are situations that doesn't matter,but there are others where it really does,I didn't mention abrasion resistance because maxima is pretty good in that regard too,one thing I have personally had an issue with sensor is it's stretch,which it has in abundance in my eyes,too much for me...
A lot of waters I fish are commercials, and once the fish are feeding in the margins the colour of the line to me does not matter.
It's only on gin clear canals where you are on an average of 0.10 mainline to 0.08 hooklengths that a clear line comes into play
I bought some Ray Mumford 6oz spool of line for hooklengths years ago, it was like trying to put a hook on a cobweb

Aknib

Reaction score
I can't speak for anyone else but one thing I've found is its longevity, I've got reels that have the same Pro Gold on them for several seasons and they're as good as the day they were first spooled up.

It also has very good actual knot strength by comparison to its stated breaking strain and breaking higher than comparable line diameters.

I like Maxima but it's just a bit stretchy imo for an all rounder, I just like Pro Gold as being my one shot reliable work horse for everything I do be it stick, waggler, tip etc.

I'm sure there are better lines for specific purposes but I doubt there's a better all rounder, as I want to spend my time fishing and not faffing with different lines it just suits the way I roll.

I am surprised (not critical of the fact) that you use Maxima, which I also think is a good line, for feeder fishing and tip work on rivers given its stretch but then there are certain dynamics which can never be factored in such as does that stretch get taken up by the flow and in turn ease pressure on the tip, therefore allowing a more 'sympathetic' set-up?

I reckon it's horses for courses at the end of the day, we all have different circumstances and what suits one may not be ideal for another but we all end up applying what is best for our own individual needs... Whilst I love all the banter and knock for knock mocking there's really no way that anyone could state that one line is the best solution for everyone.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Maxima chameleon is supposed be virtually invisible due to its ability to change colour to adapt to its surroundings?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just for reference, I once did a number of test to compare 6lb sensor to maxima chameleon in 8lb.
One test I did numerous times was to tie both lines together via a double uni knot and use a slow pull until something gave. The thing what gave everytime was the chameleon and the break was always above the knot.

Regarding being stretchy, any good reel line should have a decent amount of stretch in it .
Also a low stretch reel line would not cushion a low diameter pre stretched hooklength and very likely cause them to crack off on the strike.

Keith M

Reaction score
Just for reference, I once did a number of test to compare 6lb sensor to maxima chameleon in 8lb.
One test I did numerous times was to tie both lines together via a double uni knot and use a slow pull until something gave. The thing what gave everytime was the Sensor and the break was always above the knot.

Regarding being stretchy, any good reel line should have a decent amount of stretch in it but not as much as Sensor does.
Also a low stretch reel line would not cushion a low diameter pre stretched hooklength and very likely cause them to crack off on the strike which is why I’m coming around to trying Pro Gold, after all Pro Gold has so many good write ups, they can’t all be wrong.

Nice to see you have now seen some sense and are not going to use senseless anymore Ian :)

Keith

NB: only 29 posts to go before we reach 200 :)

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice to see you have now seen some sense and are not going to use senseless anymore Ian :)

Keith

Lol Keith, going off your post I replied to I thought you had seen the light :).
Check out my quote ??

SLM???

rob48

Reaction score
I’ve been following this debate but I haven’t seen ( might have missed it) what properties this line has that are better than e.g. Maxima which is what I use pretty much every where, except for trotting. I’ve never really thought of moving away from Maxima but I guess you have to move with the times- what’s better - I mostly feeder fish rivers.
Important thing for me is that PG doesn't soak up water like a sponge as maxima does. After maxima's been in the water a while it sinks to the bottom making hitting bites difficult. As for float fishing, I can tell if someone in the next peg is fishing with maxima when I hear the hissing noise during striking.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
No one has mentioned the Dave Harrell line, both floating and sinking,
Now he either has his own manufacturer of line, or its mass produced along with other brands and his label is stuck on the spools,
I would say there are a few lines out there that are sold like this.
SLM ??✊??

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score

Keith

Ian's post about breaking above the knot, is different than your quote of it.
I suspect a bit of skullduggery going on here to put Sensor in a bad light.
The Russians and Chinese could learn from you about hacking into things, ?

SLM ??✊??

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ian's post about breaking above the knot, is different than your quote of it.
I suspect a bit of skullduggery going on here to put Sensor in a bad light.
The Russians and Chinese could learn from you about hacking into things, ?

SLM ??✊??

?? Keith does resemble professor Moriarty and may well be working for the chinks ? ?.

SLM ???

wetthrough

Reaction score

I've done similar tests albeit with 4lb Sensor and 2, 3 4, and 5lb Maxima. 4lb Sensor never breaks away from the knot from 40 tests. 4lb maxima was the worst breaking away from the knot 8 out of 10 times, that's tied to a swivel at both ends. But, I did a very crude shock/impact load test of Sensor 4lb, Shimano Aero 6lb and Maxima Chameleon 4lb. Sensor has a straight pull strength of about 190lb/mm^2, Maxima about 134lb/mm^2 but Maxima will take around 50% more energy from a shock load. The Shimano 6lb is very similar to Sensor 4lb. It was a very crude test dropping different weights from varying heights but the difference was significant enough to suggest there's a lot more to line strength than a straight pull. It should be done by dropping different weights from the same height and measuring the energy absorbed. I'll get round to doing some proper tests some day.

Reaction score
I agree with the need for stretch in a reel line 100% Ian,just seems a bit too much to me,but without doubt Sensor is one of a number of good allround lines and if pushed came to shove I would probably use it,my favourite barbel(lead)reel line is Awa Shima Reflector line(18.6lb BS),it actually breaks at 12ish,but the diameter is good,abrasion resistance,knot strength is excellent,garbage for anything else I do,lasts for ages,I have bought 3.4lb and 4.4lb pro-gold to try for my general float fishing,if fishing for carp up to doubles,tench,or slider fishing I use 5.4lb,which I like very much,I use Silstar Matchteam for hooklengths,i've tried it for reel line too and it is good,but it works out expensive at over £5 a 100m spool,reflo is super stretchy,easily damaged,yet weak imo,confidence is key,so if you are confident in any line(hooks too)and your results are good using it,fair play,you certainly shouldn't change...

Reaction score
Maxima chameleon is supposed be virtually invisible due to its a

and pigs are supposed to fly??? Fluorocarbon is supposed to be invisible in water too,but it isn't,sales bumph is a wonderful thing,there are many times that you could almost use string and catch,there are many others where the best,thinnest line available can't,i've watched a few over the years,lots this year. Barbel are supposed not to be tackle shy,then why is it that over twenty years ago on the H.Avon I had groups of barbel feeding on casters for hours without getting a bite,ok you get one or two eventually,but it really shouldn't occur if they are that easy,just think what might be happening on your river if you can't see the fish in it because of water clarity,they still do you over...

steve2

Reaction score
No one has mentioned the Dave Harrell line, both floating and sinking,
Now he either has his own manufacturer of line, or its mass produced along with other brands and his label is stuck on the spools,
I would say there are a few lines out there that are sold like this.
SLM ??✊??

I would say there are many lines and other things that are just relabelled.
Wouldn’t it be funny if Progold just turned out to be relabelled Senor or Maxima and you have just been taken for a marketing ride.

Last edited: