Progold monofilament

rob48

Reaction score
I would say there are many lines and other things that are just relabelled.
Wouldn’t it be funny if Progold just turned out to be relabelled Senor or Maxima and you have just been taken for a marketing ride.
There's no way it could be those lines because the characteristics and behaviour are so different. Reminds me of Racine Tortue more than anything else.
The Harrell lines are very similar to the Silstar Matchteam lines.

Reaction score
Not you as well,lol,begone ye satan...??

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
No one has mentioned the Dave Harrell line, both floating and sinking,
Now he either has his own manufacturer of line, or its mass produced along with other brands and his label is stuck on the spools,
I would say there are a few lines out there that are sold like this.
SLM ??✊??

Mark I loaded up with the Dave Harrel Pro Float on one of my float reels this season because it got some really good reviews from some good anglers on FM and elsewhere and it also came in 300mtr spools too unlike Floatfish which only comes on 100mtr spools, and the first thing I noticed was its slightly finer thickness (See link).

It also has some of the other characteristics of Drennan Floatfish (shot resistant surface, good floating line, good amount of line stretch etc.) however when fishing into the wind the extra fine diameter Pro Float line kept forming tangles, a lot more than Drennan Floatfish does. So yes Pro Float is good for fishing a float but in my view it has its limitations when the wind isn’t coming from the right direction.

So I’m going to keep loading Drennan Floatfish on my other float reels. although I’ll still have one reel loaded with the Dave Harrel Pro Float as it is fine when the wind isn’t blowing in my face.

Keith

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
Chameleon is far from invisible, doesn't detract from its abrasion resistance or durability and the simple fact of how strong it is. I've used it since the mid-70s with never a problem.
Far better than the line titled in this thread or the dreaded Sensor to my opinion.

Reaction score
Mark I loaded up with the Dave Harrel Pro Float on one of my float reels this season because it got some really good reviews from some good anglers on FM and elsewhere and it also came in 300mtr spools too unlike Floatfish which only comes on 100mtr spools, and the first thing I noticed was its slightly finer thickness (See link).

It also has some of the other characteristics of Drennan Floatfish (shot resistant surface, good floating line, good amount of line stretch etc.) however when fishing into the wind the extra fine diameter Pro Float line kept forming tangles, a lot more than Drennan Floatfish does. So yes Pro Float is good for fishing a float but in my view it has its limitations when the wind isn’t coming from the right direction.

So I’m going to keep loading Drennan Floatfish on my other float reels. although I’ll still have one reel loaded with the Dave Harrel Pro Float as it is fine when the wind isn’t blowing in my face.

Keith
[/QUOTE

Ahhh,but if you used sensor it couldn't tangle,the coiling mechanism wouldn't allow it to...:sneaky:

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Not you as well,lol,begon ye satan...??
binit.png

barbelboi

Reaction score

Interesting Keith - I was thinking of giving DHPF a go but never got around to it as I've been using DFF for so long in it's various guises and in simple terms like it a lot. As the old saying goes 'if it's not broken.............................'.) I'll keep to what I know and have never had an issue with, a bit like ProGold :)

steve2

Reaction score
Apart from one line I have never had problems with any of the lines I use but then I am only a angler not scientist. I don't own a micrometer I don't carry out tests on line or knot strength I just go fishing. Fishing this way as never stopped me catching enough fish to satisfy me.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have a digital vernier that was always calibrated, out of curiosity I tried it on a line I got free with a fishing weekly, the line was Chrystal from used tackle, I cut a length of and measured it along various parts of it.
It was stated as 0.16 and it was spot on. It was a very clear line, I had no hesitation in using it. The other lines I got free that were from there on the weeklies such as camo and red, I used as backing on deep spooled reels, only because they were lines I wouldnt be using.
A friend made some pole rigs for margins out of the spools he had, and he caught ,also used them as mainline, and also caught. So does colour such as red make a difference, when the go to colours are either clear or brown ,?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sensor appears brown on the spool in normal light but if you shine a torch on it it looks green!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a full Spool of Progold in 2lb, anyone want a swap for 8lb?

Keith M

Reaction score
I didnt know that Pro Gold came as light as 2lb bs but if its Pro Gold (or Sensor) it will probably be more like 3lb bs in reality. :)

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I didnt know that Pro Gold came as light as 2lb bs but if its Pro Gold (or Sensor) it will probably be more like 3lb bs in reality. :)

Keith

Yup, your right Keith, but sensor would be low diamter at 2lb and have a great unobrusive colour where as 2lb fools gold would be very high diameter and have a milky, shiny/stand out in water colour that spooks fish.
Best to chop up and bin the fools or burn it really ?.

SLM???

Keith M

Reaction score
Yup, your right Keith, but sensor would be low diamter at 2lb and have a great unobrusive colour where as 2lb fools gold would be very high diameter and have a milky, shiny/stand out in water colour that spooks fish.

SLM???

If you actually believe that Ian you are a lot further gone than I thought and there’s probably no chance of you coming back into the real world (n):cry::eek::)

Keith

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs

SLM???
Or if decorating .... make a few plumb lines from it .
Gardening......... ideal for climbing roses or sweetpeas.
Fishing......... use as backing line for Sensor

SLM??✊??

Keith M

Reaction score
Mis-judgement must be catching. Maybe ‘Senseless’ line is living up to its name and making the couple of ‘Senseless’ lovers even more ‘senseless’ :ROFLMAO: cos there talking delirious :poop: again o_O:). Maybe that’s just another symptom of Covid19 (I hope not for their sake) or maybe they’re just living with the fairies :)✊?‍♀️?‍♂️

Keith

Only two more posts till we reach 200 :)

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you actually believe that Ian you are a lot further gone than I thought and there’s probably no chance of you coming back into the real world (n):cry::eek::)

Keith

????

SLM???

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Or if decorating .... make a few plumb lines from it .
Gardening......... ideal for climbing roses or sweetpeas.
Fishing......... use as backing line for Sensor

SLM??✊??

Loads more here's a few of 'em....

Mountainering/Climbing......makes great rope

Circuss acts....such as tightrope walking
...lion tamers whip
...high flyers ropes and swings
...guide ropes for the big top etc etc

200th post reached :)