Help with understanding elastics

Twiddler

Reaction score
Hello,
Firstly please excuse my ignorance as I am a very late comer to pole fishing, anyways I am finding choosing elastics like a mine field. I fish 3 places and have acquired enough top kits to cover my needs (I hope). So, here is a run down of my sort of fishing venues.

1) Commercial with a lot of heavy lumps in
2) A really small old mill type pond with delicate Crucians, a lot of silvers but also Tench and Carp up to around 4/5lb.
3) Canal

So will one company cover all 3 types of venues, is it best to use one company or do some manufacturers do better with elastic for a certain type of venue. Then it’s what sort, solid, hollow, hybrid and there’s probably others that I haven’t mentioned or come across yet.
My pole is quite old, around 12 yrs and didn’t have any pullers in it so I have had puller bungs fitted to 4 of the top kits and instantly stopped losing fish, now I know this was more to do with lack of experience but having the pullers fitted has helped tremendously.
All advice and views greatly appreciated.

Cheers and thanks for looking.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
What make of pole is it, ?
Some topkits on poles are rated to 14/16 elastic, others to 20. This is with power kits,
For your commercial set up ,I use 17h preston elastic, that's a hollow, for mill pool I would use a doubled up number 6, this acts as a single 6 with smaller fish bits powers up with something larger, Also this can be used on canals.For your canal set up I would use a number 4 ,depending on what species are in there,
You dont have to use puller bungs on every fish ,
The elastics I use a preston slip, these are solids, and 17h preston which is hollow.
I have a number of other topkits for commercials and naturals which are kitted out mainly with Preston's elsdtic.
Use elastics which give you confidence.
Preston is my choice, in fact I am changing topkits in margin pole to preston solids, from Drennan bungee ,which to me is to soft.
Others on here will have their preferred elastics, but I think the set ups I mentioned will be more or less on par with their views.
Dont forget to match line to elastic.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
What make of pole is it, ?
Some topkits on poles are rated to 14/16 elastic, others to 20. This is with power kits,
For your commercial set up ,I use 17h preston elastic, that's a hollow, for mill pool I would use a doubled up number 6, this acts as a single 6 with smaller fish bits powers up with something larger, Also this can be used on canals.For your canal set up I would use a number 4 ,depending on what species are in there,
You dont have to use puller bungs on every fish ,
The elastics I use a preston slip, these are solids, and 17h preston which is hollow.
I have a number of other topkits for commercials and naturals which are kitted out mainly with Preston's elsdtic.
Use elastics which give you confidence.
Preston is my choice, in fact I am changing topkits in margin pole to preston solids, from Drennan bungee ,which to me is to soft.
Others on here will have their preferred elastics, but I think the set ups I mentioned will be more or less on par with their views.
Dont forget to match line to elastic.
I've just put this into google translate, and it laughed at me because it thought I was joking ?

I've owned poles for years and do find it a minefield myself. Since I don't use a pole very often, I've never troubled myself with knowing the difference between a doubled 6, a straight 8, a Preston solid 17h which is actually a hollow nor if this is indeed all number 2 ???

Sorry Mark, I jest (probably more at myself as I still don't get all the fuss and bother in creating names and systems for knicker elastic); I do find all this pole elastic code perplexing and couldn't help but wonder what twiddles would make of it having stated
Firstly please excuse my ignorance ... I'm finding choosing elastics like a minefield

So really, the first thing to do is find out what rating your top kit has? (which I believe was what you meant by asking the pole type)
Discuss options with someone helpful like yourself (who understands this code).
Then choose a manufacturer, if not already selected during above discussions.

And please don't start on the lube :eek:

Twiddler

Reaction score
Hi Mark,
Thankyou for the reply, my pole is a Tricast Excellence, (we spoke yesterday about the Guru Fusion case) as for the commercial I use you will probably know it - Partridge lakes.
My elastics at the moment are a mixed bag, I have Daiwa Black hydro in one, Matrix in two others and a Midi hi viz 6-8 in the other one, I think this is where the confusion starts and why I would like to use just one company for all three types of venues.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Preston 17h is hollow, I thought I put that, ?
The number is the rating,
Double 6 is what it says, number 6 elastic doubled up,
You are correct about topkit rating when I asked what make of pole it is, I should have asked are they match kits or power kits he has.
My Daiwa is rated 16 on match kits and 20 on power,
As for elastics, I have tried a couple of different brands over the years but prefer Preston both in hollo and solid.
My 2 short 4 metre margin poles has MAP 18 blue in the number one section, I have for some reason found this better than equivalent preston.
Main margin pole got kitted out at the shop with Drennan bungee, the two heavier grades are going to be replaced with preston solids.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Hi Mark,
Thankyou for the reply, my pole is a Tricast Excellence, (we spoke yesterday about the Guru Fusion case) as for the commercial I use you will probably know it - Partridge lakes.
My elastics at the moment are a mixed bag, I have Daiwa Black hydro in one, Matrix in two others and a Midi hi viz 6-8 in the other one, I think this is where the confusion starts and why I would like to use just one company for all three types of venues.
Sorry I should have recognized the name,
Your Tricast will be fine with heavy elastics,
I would stick with your black hydro, it's a good all round elastic. As I said I would go with Preston's, but that's my personal choice, midi hi viz is good, I found matrix to be a tad to stretchy. My advice for what it's worth is Preston's, what are you putting in the other 20 topkits you have ,?

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
The OP obviously knows a bit more about it than they let on, which is why I posted since, to me, it only makes sense to someone who already knows what it means and I thought the OP knew next to nothing.

:)

Twiddler

Reaction score
Hi Mark,
picking the Guru case up tomorrow, as for the other top kits, I’m going to try and move them on, and as for knowing more than I let on, well I haven’t told any porkies in that I know absolutely nothing about elastics and that’s why I asked on here.
I will certainly look at the Prestons range as I would like to simplify the elastics side of things.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I would keep a few back for yourself Wayne, always come in handy,
I am going to States tackle tomorrow before I go back on Newlands, need some more feeders.
Go to Leigh Tackle and Bait and let them know you are shifting a few Tricast topkits, A few lads who go in there have Tricast poles.

Twiddler

Reaction score
I know but mine is one of the original Excellenc‘S, where do I start with the Preston’s, would you have Black Hydro in both top kits for Partridge (ie) margin and out front and what should I look for for the mill pond, and one more question, do you go lighter in the winter.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I would still mention at LTB.
Mill pond I would double a length of number 6 slip up and use that. That would more than likely do in open water at partridge, keep black hydro for edge and far side.
Which pools are you fish at partridge.?
Which canal and what stretch are you fishing. ? Again a number 4 or 5 will do for that,
As for lighter in winter, I use same elastics as summer,

Twiddler

Reaction score
Fishing Gold on Partridge, I’ve had Carp up to 12lb up to now and before I had the pulla bungs fitted I had one fish on for over 10 mins and never even saw it before it snapped me at the hook length. Canal is the Bridgewater, Moorings and Marsland Green.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Fishing Gold on Partridge, I’ve had Carp up to 12lb up to now and before I had the pulla bungs fitted I had one fish on for over 10 mins and never even saw it before it snapped me at the hook length. Canal is the Bridgewater, Moorings and Marsland Green.
I know the Bridgewater but not sure on those lengths, but the elastic should be fine,
Gold on partridge, ?? Have you won the lottery,?

Twiddler

Reaction score
When you weigh everything up (as I did) it’s worth every penny, the facilities, the waters, well kept and maintained, there will always be a peg free when you turn up as there are less members than there are pegs. I weighed up the other clubs I was in and it was a no brainier. You only have to go once a week and its paid for, so my three visits a week I’m quids in.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
When you weigh everything up (as I did) it’s worth every penny, the facilities, the waters, well kept and maintained, there will always be a peg free when you turn up as there are less members than there are pegs. I weighed up the other clubs I was in and it was a no brainier. You only have to go once a week and its paid for, so my three visits a week I’m quids in.
Are you same one who is after Tricast stuff on maggot drowners ,?

Twiddler

Reaction score
Hi Mark,
I asked very early on about top kits for the Excellence and yesterday about the margin pole, other than that I haven’t asked about anything else.

Twiddler

Reaction score
Hi Mark,
im waiting for a response to go and see it, what are your experiences and recommendations on a margin pole

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
The Tricast is good,
My present margin pole is the matrix mtx.
Its stiff, strong, handles big fish. Not as as the Shimano 850b I had, but just as good.
I preferred the matrix over the Drennan acolyte, seemed a better pole, not much in it though
The PI edge monster felt a bit spongy onaple of sections,
I the Tricast is the right price I would go for that.