Drennan feeder pult

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I lost one of my favourite drennan feeder pults last week. It's the black handle, black elastic and has what I think would be classed as a large pouch what looks as though it's made from placcy/leatheret type material which is peppered with holes. The pouch is good for cattying out decent amounts of maggots.
Anyhow, i've looked at the drennan international site the only feeder pults on there are blue coloured and have hard looking formed placcy pouches. They are in two different strengths of laccy also.

I'm thinking that mine must have been the old version?... so, does anyone know of a outlet who still have the older models in stock?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply/help gent's :).
I was impatient last night and decided to give the preston pellet pult 6 to 10mil pellets version a try as it was 10.99 inclusive of post off that particular seller on ebay. I'm sure i've heard they're good catties from somewhere.
I will more than likely get one of the one in Mikes link also, downside with that one is the 9.50 goes up to 13 nicker with the 3.50 post added all for a bit of a bit of plastic!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Treat yourself Ian!:)

Unlike rods and reels which I admire, catties don't really do ewt for me so I don't see them as being a treat, just something else to carry but in some cases a necessity.
Since I have treated myself to a CL pin recently I don't think i'll be treating myself to any other fishing gear for some time to come, unless it's a necassary tool as is the catty.
I really need to get out and use what I have more often.
The river is still a little high for my liking, but it might drop off just enough by mid afternoon so I might just manage a few hours trotting today...fingers crossed lol.
Failing that i'll have a ride out with our kid on the irons.

john step

Reaction score
Catties....Grrrr! It doesn't matter how long I have had various catties I have never got on with them. Some people seem to get loose feed out accurately but me, well its like using a scatter gun.
The only one remotely accurate for me is a light Drennan maggot pouch one. Trouble is I can through them in by hand just as well as that short range.:mad:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Catties....Grrrr! It doesn't matter how long I have had various catties I have never got on with them. Some people seem to get loose feed out accurately but me, well its like using a scatter gun.
The only one remotely accurate for me is a light Drennan maggot pouch one. Trouble is I can through them in by hand just as well as that short range.:mad:

John, if your using loose pellets etc, make sure you keep the same size together as varying sizes wil travel different distances. Some will fall shorter than the others unless you use the same sizes.
I find maggots are usually fine and can be cast in tighti'sh groups.
Obviously, if they're all in a ball of crumb or similar keeping the same size pellets in your pouch won't matter.

Last edited:

The Sogster

Reaction score
I find the most accurate and least likely method to rap your knuckles with the pouch is to use it upside down. Hold the catty as normal upright then rotate the hand 180 degrees anti clockwise.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My prestons catty arrived while I was out. Just opened it to have a gander. It looks ok but the actual pouch is small, maybe too small for most of my fishing.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Have Drennan put it under their ESP banner?

pult.jpg

These do them

rayner

Reaction score
Would you not be catapulting sideways then, to your left or to your right ? ?

You'd expect so Mark, holding the pouch inline with your target area usually straight in front in my case then the load from the pouch goes in the line of the elastics. Making your elastics your sight for aiming. Distance for me is easier to judge with the arms pointing right, I have trouble holding the pult in my right hand.
I only use my hands to fire a catapult for short distances I have a jig set up for pinging pellets for waggler or feeder, my grip is nowhere near strong enough to keep a hold of the pouch if firing any distance. Bomb fishing also requires the use of my jig.
With my jig, the arms have to be straight up and my accuracy definitely suffers, I spray bait all over which affects my catch rate.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I read an article on a top match angler who catapulted all over the place, so was his casting,He won countless matches, He cast a slow sinking bait into the area his feed ended up. His casting was more frequent than other anglers.He fished with a small float with one small shot down the line, which was allowed to drift in the tow.This meant he always had a free falling bait amongst where his feed had gone and the drift meant he covered every part of his swim..The other anglers who were feeding and casting with pinpoint accuracy couldn't fathom out how he was winning at first, Also he would cast with one hand then change over to the other hand to fish,Ian Heaps style.
The Angler concerned is Mark Pollard who fished with the Image team. It wasnt just his style of fishing ,he was a natural angler.
So if your feed goes in a different direction than where you are fishing, cast to where your feed went to. You may be surprised.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just been to the local tackle shop and they have the preton catties in like the one I just got off ebay for a quid less than I paid ??.
Pity I hadn't seen them first as I wouldn't have got one! The pouches are just too small.