Putting Line Through Its Paces

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Does anyone have a routine that they use to test a new line to help decide if it's a good line or not?

For those that have used their line for a long time, can you remember what made you think - this is the one for this type of fishing!

Or do you just read reviews, buy some, use it on the bank and take it from there?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I do try different lines from time to time.....performance wise my "test" is how they compare to my benchmark line which I've used for many years. I wont name it or it will set Tigger off ( again !) but its never,ever let me down and does everything I want a line to do. It is a bit thick but the bs is known to be understated so I simply use 6lb when I want 8 and 8 when I want 10 etc etc.

I've found a couple of decent mainlines like this which I am happy to use for certain jobs but I've also found quite a few lines that imo were fit only for the bin....but no doubt others would ( and do) happily use them.

Line preferences are very personal and its very hard to define exactly what it is about your preferred line that makes it "the one".....but to use a line that you don't have 100% confidence in is to miss the point by a distance. Likewise hooks.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think the best way to test a line is to get out and use it. You may know wether you like it from the off, but then again it may take several trips to get a feel for it one way or the other.

If I know someone who fish's the same methods as myself and have faith in them, then they are always worth listening to and i'd rather buy a line recommended to me by someone I know than just take a punt. Doesn't mean your gonn'a like it though, so remember, don't shoot the messanger lol.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I do test the BS but only to ensure there's sufficient margin between hooklength and main. I've had a main break by trusting what was written on the spool. Other than that I'm not that fussy, so long as it sinks easy enough. The Shimano Aero Match and Supplex Fluorocarbon has been OK for me. The testing also gives me an idea of how consistent lines are and whether they're likelty to break away from the knot.

xenon

Reaction score
I think its brilliant, must admit I do use Shimano as well, But I reckon Sensor is ideal for the most of my fishing.
Just wanted another opinion on it, Any takers ,? What did @xenon Mean by putting dont get him started.

SLM???✊
I may be getting folk mixed up (not for the first time) but i reckon its well known that tigger is not a fan of sensor.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I may be getting folk mixed up (not for the first time) but i reckon its well known that tigger is not a fan of sensor.

Yup, deff'o well known, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole....?

peterjg

Reaction score
I'm not arguing with Tigger. For reel lines I use Sensor - but change it quite regularly. For hook lengths I use Reflo.

Molehill

Reaction score
Sensor is good rope, I use it plenty, cheap and unbreakable. There's plenty better lines which I also use on some of my float fishing reels, but for basic fishing sensor does me fine. Certainly better than the lines I was using 50 years ago.

mikench

Reaction score
Being an entirely non political person I use sensor and fools gold and like both. I also have some DH feeder line which so far behaves itself and acts much like the others. The only lines I haven’t taken to are the guru monos but I started out with them when utterly incompetent so maybe not a fair judgement. Now I’m only occasionally incompetent and utterly so I like those lines above.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
For pole rigs its reflo, guru pulse and Ngauge.Reflo
Shimano Aspire silk shock. And last but not least ,and it's used sparingly at the moment because it's hard to get hold of, is Trabucco carp match.
Hooklengths for rod n line work, most cost the above plus Drennan extra strong in lower breaking strains.Reel lines, Sensor, Shimano Aernos and Reflo.

rayner

Reaction score
I doubt there's much difference between most lines we use, they are mostly all made in Japan and all do the job.
I use Maxima for reels and have done for years, it's never let me down. Pole rigs are made up with Genesis, likewise never a problem. Hooklengths are either Reflo or Trabucco. I have no reason to change the lines I use, just as well because I hate change.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score