Another river Lot carp

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Not had many early morning sessions since moving to France three years ago. But after catching two carp last week I wanted to prove to myself it was not a fluke, so a predawn start was planned.

I had to stop at the weir for this photo opportunity....

IMG_20200912_073033824_HDR.jpg

Arrived at the swim just before the sun appeared.....

IMG_20200912_081116087.jpg

Just as the sun started to hit the river I got a screaming run and after quite a fight (took me into a sunken tree branch) a lovely, fully scaled river carp was in the net....

Carp 16lb The Garden.jpg

Weighed at 16lbs. Looks like there are a few in this stretch, so far all in wonderful condition.

Tackle was 2.5 TC rod, bolt rig with two "The Source" boilies on a size 5 Nash pinpoint claw hook.

Last edited:

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
There's got to be barbel in that weir??

I have some stories from a local angler of big barbel there. Fished it a few times now, but not a bite!

Over the summer there are little beaches there that attract bathers and boaters. It's also a nice viewpoint for the chateau.

Now it is a little quieter I will try again!

Windy

Reaction score
...et rouge de Cahors

A damn good robust wine which may not please the wine snobs out there, but I love a good bottle of it on home territory - the good stuff simply doesn't get imported to the UK, much to my regret. Same with most of the best Italian country wines, they drink all they make and with good reason !

Beautiful natural fish too. Big envy. Sadly my hope of a Lot valley trip this year including St. Emilion, Roc 'Amadour and a rod in the river seems to have been rendered a no go thanks to Covid. Sad to miss out.

rubio

Reaction score
I've had a couple of carp myself from around that terrain. Rather more than a couple of glasses of the cahors rouge you mentioned. Big fan of the local coop there. Beautifully blended mix of local grapes and cheap enough to buy by the bucketful.
Chateau Cassaigne well worth a look if you haven't been already. Or even if you have. Even a wine heathen can appreciate the incredible elixir of vieux Armagnac. Pousse Rapiers is an experience too.