Banded or hair rigged?

Reaction score
On the H.Avon it is 99% clean gravel,with odd clay boulders,where you used to be able to see that gravel easily ten feet deep,I have never myself left a bait two hours,but I understand the logic,when numbers of barbel were greater more regular casting was key,but as numbers dwindle they really are spooky,it is a case of what works for you,maybe if a back lead wasn't used the chub would be more 'aware' and be less of a nuisance,however the H.Avon is a challenge all of it's own,you don't say how big these bait robbing chub are Steve,but knowing the river these days they are liable to be some big buggers doing you over,lol.

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
Only problem with leaving your bait out for so long is it might have fallen in a spot were it wont be found.
Maybe it would be worth using a large method feeder and a sticky mix so it breaks down very slowly and keeps ypur hook bait from slipping into any cracks etc?
As Whitty says, where my hookbait will be sat is not mystery, I can usually see it daylight. You have touched on an idea I’m working around. Although I wouldn’t want all that plastic etc from the cage down there, same way I wouldn’t want a cage feeder down there.

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
On the H.Avon it is 99% clean gravel,with odd clay boulders,where you used to be able to see that gravel easily ten feet deep,I have never myself left a bait two hours,but I understand the logic,when numbers of barbel were greater more regular casting was key,but as numbers dwindle they really are spooky,it is a case of what works for you,maybe if a back lead wasn't used the chub would be more 'aware' and be less of a nuisance,however the H.Avon is a challenge all of it's own,you don't say how big these bait robbing chub are Steve,but knowing the river these days they are liable to be some big buggers doing you over,lol.

If it wasn’t for their swim ruining properties (bear in mind I’m fishing sort sessions) I’d welcome them, a 6 or 7lb Chub is not to be sniffed at.

Reaction score
Steve,even though it's a long time since I fished the Avon regularly,chub were to be avoided if success for barbel was your aim,the Avon and Stour are totally different rivers,but both with very large knowledgeable chevins who have grown big by munching barbel anglers baits,the populations of chub on the Avon are not what they were,but fair numbers of big chub eat lots and lots of boilies,without getting hooked...

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
Agreed Whitty, I have never caught a Chub on the Avon and then caught a Barbel. The other way round yes.