What elastics for margin pole please.

Eternaloptimist

Reaction score
Hi
I have a Preston 8.5 metre margin pole that came with three top kits . I will need to elasticated them (with the help of YouTube ) but I dont know what elastics I should go for or even what the numbers on the elastic represent. Can anyone help please .
Cheers

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The higher the number on elastic the higher the rating, (stronger)
What are the size of the fish in the venues you go to ,? This will give an idea on what to fit,
Also your tackle will need need to be balanced against the size of your elastic,
Your pole will be rated to around a 20 elastic.
Which preston pole is it ?

seth49

Reaction score
I have the 10 metre Preston margin pole, I’ve recently changed to the new Preston dura hybrid elastic, been catching carp to double figures on it, that’s using the size 13 elastic, with elastics the higher the number the stronger it is, a good tackle shop will put you right on the others, they’ll probably fit them for you if your buying three lots, it’s reasonably priced at £5.99 for three metres.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score

Eternaloptimist

Reaction score
The higher the number on elastic the higher the rating, (stronger)
What are the size of the fish in the venues you go to ,? This will give an idea on what to fit,
Also your tackle will need need to be balanced against the size of your elastic,
Your pole will be rated to around a 20 elastic.
Which preston pole is it ?
It's a Preston Response 8.5 metre margin pole . I mostly fish for silvers but occasionally get the fright of my life when a lump gets hooked .
I prefer to use lightweight tackle with small hooks etc but I am wary that I may get a whopper (more through luck than talent)

Eternaloptimist

Reaction score
I have the 10 metre Preston margin pole, I’ve recently changed to the new Preston dura hybrid elastic, been catching carp to double figures on it, that’s using the size 13 elastic, with elastics the higher the number the stronger it is, a good tackle shop will put you right on the others, they’ll probably fit them for you if your buying three lots, it’s reasonably priced at £5.99 for three metres.
Thanks for reply .

Eternaloptimist

Reaction score

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
It's a Preston Response 8.5 metre margin pole . I mostly fish for silvers but occasionally get the fright of my life when a lump gets hooked .
I prefer to use lightweight tackle with small hooks etc but I am wary that I may get a whopper (more through luck than talent)
Use a topkit for silvers, possible double 5 or 6
That way you will land silvers whatever the size, but also any rogue larger fish, They are not always in the margins,
And for heavier elastic I would do 10/12 solid and 17h or dura hollo.
I think the response has side pullers ?

Eternaloptimist

Reaction score
Use a topkit for silvers, possible double 5 or 6
That way you will land silvers whatever the size, but also any rogue larger fish, They are not always in the margins,
And for heavier elastic I would do 10/12 solid and 17h or dura hollo.
I think the response has side pullers ?
Thanks for that, yes response does gave side pullers though not quite sure how to use them . Is there a danger of snapping the elastic when using the puller ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Thanks for that, yes response does gave side pullers though not quite sure how to use them . Is there a danger of snapping the elastic when using the puller ?
I have them on my topkits, not snapped any yet, you dont have to have the elastic coming out of them, just use a standard tensioner bung in the bottom of the section.
If I was you I would take topkits to a tackle shop and ask them to fit the elastic for you,

rayner

Reaction score
For both paste and margins I use SLIX 10-12 it's a hybrid elastic, It's close to the elastic Mark uses. With a lighter grade combined with a puller system, I can fish lower diameter hooklinks and land fish with ease.