What do you contemplate whilst fishing

mikench

Reaction score
I know why I would never make a match angler( not that I would ever want to) and why my level of competence ( incompetence if you prefer) has plateaued. I day dream a lot and muse on events, issues in my life and the world, the ageing process and most things that distract from truly concentrating on that elusive large fish or breaking the looming blank. It might be an age thing but don't think it is . I enjoy the fishing, the ambience of quiet solitude and the chance it gives to think things through.

I do snap out of it when I get a bite or try a new technique which requires concentration and a lot of feeding and changing baits, hooks and hooklength , I suspect , I do automatically and without thinking. I occasionally can't be bothered doing even this when I consider, often correctly, that it's just going to be one of those days. So what do you contemplate whilst on the bank and does fishing help in establishing a sensible perspective on the issues which you face.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I go fishing to forget the issues of the day to be honest.

When at the bank side my mind is totally focused on my target fish, my bait and presentation and the river or lakeside and keeping an eye on the weather to.

I usually stop fishing (but keep the bait going in) for lunch and/or tea in the afternoon and in those periods I'll often get dragged back into thinking about whatever problems are going on at the time . . . . .

mikench

Reaction score
I might have been able to do that once Peter but that would have been pre mobiles, texts, watsapps, emails, indeed, before I even fished. I am never in a state of permanent day dream or under the influence of magic mushrooms but " events and issues" won't go away for any appreciable period of time try as I might to be rid of them. Fishing helps in this regard and does give me some perspective.

theartist

Reaction score
As above it's 100% fishing and all the other cares in the world are gone, sometimes I envy those who are sitting at leisure, but not for long as there's another run through of the float to be had. I do try to find time to stop and stare (there's a quote in there somwhere ;)) more so as the years have got on, but there's always that bit of river round the corner that's calling. That sense of adventure is engrossing and I care not for anything trivial in those precious moments, the only thing I ever contemplate is the sheer luck that I have the health to be there fishing. The only wealth I've ever had is by the water somewhere and at times I'm a billionaire.

Right now I'm a pauper for various reasons. Haven't been out for ages and boy do I miss it

lambert1

Reaction score
I am a bit of both to be honest. I am paying attention to the fishing but I love the solitude too and a chance to run a few things through my mind at my leisure. I much prefer not talking to anyone to be honest. I am more than a little deaf, which means that I do not hear people or dogs approaching and can get a little grumpy if startled:( I am fortunate in that there is also a great deal of wildlife to watch from little Wrens flitting in and out of the tree roots on the far bank to Barn Owls gracefully patrolling. Like Rob it has been a while though.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It is a wonderful hobby for this, all the cares in the world lessen considerable when on the bank, I like to consider deep things when I am fishing and let my mind go where it wants. Then the float moves and its all change, heightened senses, concentration, attention to the rod, hold it, let the tip down, strike, panic, false alarm, swear and then back to my reverie.

steve2

Reaction score
If I am on my own I concentrate more on fishing than I do when fishing with friends. With friends it's more social and putting the world to right.
With most of my fishing when I go being lure fishing concentration isn't as important as watching a float.

wetthrough

Reaction score
For the most part I'm focused on the fishing, or more accurately, why I'm not catching. There's something about watching a float that pushes day to day thoughts right to the back of the queue. I get distracted sometimes by things around me, Robins stealing maggots, evil thoughts when I see a Cormorant. Although if it's a choice between watching a Kingfisher and watching a float, the Kingfisher wins.

rich66

Reaction score
If I’m on my own I totally switch off from life, I think about fishing, why they are not taking my bait or what I could do better. But I sometimes just completely fade out & find I’ve lost 1/2 hour. I enjoy the solitude of a day on my own, I hear the water lapping against the bank, wind rustling through the grass/reeds birds digging about etc. Stuff that in a busy day you’d not notice.

mikench

Reaction score
That's legally binding to all Robins right (y):)
Of course its for all Robins.

63012BAB-A42D-4E36-B13A-12C36E1FA06A.jpeg

theartist

Reaction score
Without that little dude I'd have no blog for this month, so hats off to the little one for brightening up our swims so often (y)

Ps I see you got a one legged one in that photo Mike, they are rarety :p

mikench

Reaction score
I love them Rob. That one was a little pudding and had probably eaten a dozen maggots. He did have 2 legs by the way.

Reaction score
Usually like Gordon,i'm puzzling out why i'm not catching better and how to improve it,when I'm not catching at all I contemplate my extra large navel....
On the subject of robins,why do they land next to you,on a branch,the bank,or on your rod or rod rest,look at the maggots you've put down for him,then look back at you as if asking for permission to dine,more often than not you have to tell em to 'go on then',please don't tell me they know what your saying???