Is this a crazy idea ?

Eternaloptimist

Reaction score
Hi to all . Interesting question for you .
When I'm finished pole fishing at the end of the day I take the pole rig off and put it on the winder ready for the next session , job done .
When fishing with a rod however I have to take the hook length off and put it away (not as easy as it sounds for a novice) . Then take the shot off the line and dispose or reuse ? . Then take the float off and put away . This (in my case) often leaves the line looking worse for wear .
My question is ...would it be possible to have a complete "rod rig" type set up complete with shot hook float etc, that could be simply attached to the main line somehow and the put away in its entirety on a winder when finished ?
Is this a mad idea .?
Your thoughts would be welcome .

wetthrough

Reaction score
The line will still be worse for wear it just won't be obvious if it's not stripped down. Just cut a couple of meters or whatever off.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have kept my stick floats complete with shot and hook on winders for many years . . . . it saves the time-consuming job of fitting lots of small shy onto the line every time.
A loop to loop system is used for the hook length so changes are easy too.

Eternaloptimist

Reaction score
I have kept my stick floats complete with shot and hook on winders for many years . . . . it saves the time-consuming job of fitting lots of small shy onto the line every time.
A loop to loop system is used for the hook length so changes are easy too.
How do you attach your complete rig to your rod mainline please ?

Keith M

Reaction score
Or you could buy yourself a two piece float rod and just fold it in half with the reel still attached and the float/ hooklength still setup, and place it into a protective rod sleeve; plus a small quiver to carry the rod sleeve in together with your rod rests and landing net. Then all you need to do when you arrive is unfold your rod, and apart from plumbing up it’s all ready to go.

I will occasionally do this myself; however I setup my float/hooklength and check my line and put a fresh hook on at home before I use it again just to make sure it is still ok; plus I only leave my float adapter attached on my line. Most times it only requires a fresh sharp hook to replace the old one.

Keith

Last edited: