My Fishing Mate Whitehouse

Reaction score
I really enjoy the way the two of them meander through a day by the waterside,generally taking the piss out of each other,showing non-anglers the side of angling that isn't really about catching fish,some of these people may well be part of the upsurge in popularity of our sport since lockdown,as a former match angler,the craic was brilliant...

Reaction score
I shall be watching Mortimer and Whitehouse tonight for a full hour xmas special,quite looking forward to it after all the absolute garbage that's been served up since covid.....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I shall be watching Mortimer and Whitehouse tonight for a full hour xmas special,quite looking forward to it after all the absolute garbage that's been served up since covid.....

What channel is that on Alan?

Reaction score
BBC2 Ian 8-9pm I think mate... Based on Bob Mortimer's home town of Middlesbrough I think if I saw the trailer correctly.

John Aston

Reaction score
Why were there no lures in this show? It's a pretty big branch of fishing that was totally ignored. It's probably the fastest growing method in the UK at the moment, judging by the number of youtube videos on the topic. It can also be a particularly visually exiting style, much more suited to TV than centrepins and floats. You guys complain that your stuff isn't as relevant as it used to be whilst refusing to move with the times and produce content that reflects what people are doing and what people want to see.

Insane Topwater blowup on a Savage Gear 3D Rat Lure! - YouTube

I suspect it'd be pretty toe curling , and smack of Bob and Paul getting down wiv da kidz... I know of what I speak - I've been fly and lure fishing for coarse and game fish for decades , caught the jigging/dropshot bug in 2011 and now succeed in doubling the average age of light lure fishermen on my waters. And don't get me started on my total failure to up my sartorial game - I don't even own a single item of flouroescent green clothing advertising achingly cool Japanese kit ...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Blimey, i'm watching the crimbo episode right now and it was just like the other episode I watched, absolute garbage!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I enjoyed it. However, just about everywhere they went was at least vaguely familiar to me. The closest place to me was actually the pub they had their Christmas dinner. The bits of the Tees they fished were a long way upstream of Teesside (Middlesbrough/Stockton etc). It gives a reasonable insight into the type of river I'm fishing. The higher reaches of the Swale that I fish are very similar to the bits of the Tees shown in the programme.

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve just watched it and I didn’t think it was that bad, in fact I thought it was quite enjoyable; and a lot better than watching a bunch of Carp guys catching the same old monotonous fish species one after another like peas in a pod and acting like great big kids; like some other fishing programs have been lately :)

It isn’t really an Angling program; just a couple of older men (like me) having a bit of a laugh while doing a bit of fishing.

Keith

Last edited:

Reaction score
If your expecting an out and out angling programme you will be disappointed,the fishing side is an aside,basically it's about two mates chewing the fat,taking the piss,looking at where the other was brought up,I thought it was interesting and funny,not so much comical,just naturaly amusing...

steve2

Reaction score
A very enjoyable episode last night. Like all the other episodes fishing plays just a small part and that is why I and others like it so much. I don't need to be told how to tie a hook, trot a float, catch more carp etc.

Windy

Reaction score
We thoroughly enjoyed it.

I say "we" rather than I, as it makes the point that the pair of them and their reflections on life the universe and anything has a much wider appeal than just the fishing.

'er indoors would rather have her fingernails pulled out than watch any out and out fishing program - I know, I've tried... :sneaky: but their musings on stuff and the interesting variety of accommodation and beautiful locations does it for her.

The one thing I really appreciate is that they catch, or don't catch what they catch. No obvious "set ups", no endless "look what we caught here" etc. That Grayling was a clonker, the Sea Trout was unexpected and more particularly they didn't catch an "oh ah gosh isn't it wonderful" faked Christmas episode Salmon. Believeable and genuine. Just wish they would show Mortimer how to hold his rod properly with his fingers round the reel foot and stem, rather than in front of it. A little thing, but makes me wince every time !

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think it suffered from looking just a bit too contrived this time but still better than watching a bunch of carp gays.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Being at least a little familiar with every location in the programme, it was an eye opener to see just how far they travelled between different locations. The pub (Crathorne) and one of the accommodation locations (Osmotherly, I believe) were closest to me. Both are a fairly long way from the areas of the Tees they were fishing. They will have travelled past many of my usual haunts.