Normark Titan 2000 match

steve2

Reaction score
The Carbotec fly rod range was directly copied from Sage and the Superteam Feeder was copied from the Carbotec so I'm told, so if the Mach3 story is true then the wheel that is tackle 'development' keeps on turning!
Just goes to show that the label on a rod can count for nothing and people can be swayed into believing in brands that are no better just dearer.

Reaction score
Im afraid rods that are said to be based on another often turn out to be nothing less than junk,for the record imo no manufacturer has come close to reproducing Normark 2000 range,which obviously is still immensly popular and is still drawing high prices for used rods,why some company hasn't got a close facsimile on the market I do not know,I used my 12ft titan 2000 Tuesday an absolute pleasure,barbel, chub,roach,dace,gudgeon,all possible to fish for without worrying it's going to snap,at a weight which is very comparable with anything around today,not bad for a rod over 20 years old.....

silvers

Reaction score
Geoff and his Normark team-mates used to fish a lot of the Avon matches back in the day. Steve Jackson was one name I remember. All very good anglers.
John Coates and Martin Foulkes were two more. Did John Cockayne fish for them as well?

liphook

Reaction score
If the economics were there they would be replicated precisely so the market demand for a reissue or re badged exact copy is either unrecognised(unlikely) or insufficient and/or the margins are just not there. The market for a UK style rod is small in the scale of global angling no matter what the price point.
Hang on to the ones you love, enjoy them and maybe buy a spare if you can find/afford one, and look after them well if I were you!

Reaction score
Seems we've reached the end of advancement of carbon technology,if after twenty years we cannot produce quality items cheaper now,than then....

steve2

Reaction score
Seems we've reached the end of advancement of carbon technology,if after twenty years we cannot produce quality items cheaper now,than then....
We most probably can produce quality rods cheaper but would some buy a cheaper rod against a dearer one believing that dearer will be better. After all many say you only get what you pay for.

ian g

Reaction score
I thought the same Steve , I think if you go from mid price upwards its now hard to buy a dud rod . Some are obviously better than others but a lot of it is down to personal taste and preference. You can tell the difference with a top end rod but most mid range rods are great to use , certainly compared to when I started fishing many moons ago.

rob48

Reaction score
Just goes to show that the label on a rod can count for nothing and people can be swayed into believing in brands that are no better just dearer.
That's very true. I've always thought there was a bit of condescension towards Shakespeare over the years and Daiwa, conversely, are priced to attain an aura of non-justified exclusivity. In my opinion, of course!

rob48

Reaction score
Im afraid rods that are said to be based on another often turn out to be nothing less than junk,for the record imo no manufacturer has come close to reproducing Normark 2000 range,which obviously is still immensly popular and is still drawing high prices for used rods,why some company hasn't got a close facsimile on the market I do not know,I used my 12ft titan 2000 Tuesday an absolute pleasure,barbel, chub,roach,dace,gudgeon,all possible to fish for without worrying it's going to snap,at a weight which is very comparable with anything around today,not bad for a rod over 20 years old.....
A fishing pal of mine had a Titan back in the 90s and he reckoned that my Shimano Ultegra Response was near enough identical to it when he borrowed it one day.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Geoff Won a Trent National too, fishing for Billy Knott’s mob (Marazion).

fwiw ... from the horse’s mouth ... a set of 3 carbotecs (#1,2,3) were sent to the Chinese factory to replicate as closely as possible for a price ... the result was the Shakespeare Mach3 range.
they did return them to the owner as well.

If that's a true story then shakespear should get their money back, other than them being fishing rods, the mach3 rods are nothing like the carbotec rods!

I've used both and the difference between them is huge. The shaky rods feel nothing like carbotecs.

I've heard the same jackanory stories about the mach3 being just like the normarks ?.

Infact i've seen a few of the story tellers telling stories of how the cadence rods are "just like normarks"....yeah, of course they are lol.

Reaction score
No they aren't Ian,absolutely brilliant for the money,but nothing close to a Normark...

Reaction score
I thought the same Steve , I think if you go from mid price upwards its now hard to buy a dud rod . Some are obviously better than others but a lot of it is down to personal taste and preference. You can tell the difference with a top end rod but most mid range rods are great to use , certainly compared to when I started fishing many moons ago.

You would think you can if you had a Normark 2000,or carbotec,or from what I hear Sphere,decent kit,without doubt,I wonder how well someone like James Robbins would do fishing with top knotch rods,he actually impairs his performsnce for the company,and before someone says it,I understand you still catch fish with lesser gear,but every improvement enhances performance....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No they aren't Ian,absolutely brilliant for the money,but nothing close to a Normark...

I remember going to Leigh tackle and bait with someone I know as he wanted my opinion of the mach3 rods before he bought one.
Anyhow, we had a look at them, and for for the reduced offer price of 50 notes they were very good. My friend wanted a longer rod and bought a 15 footer which was ok.

Reaction score
I do not care what others think,but imo there are few rods indeed that I hold that feel they are meant to be there,the 12ft titan 2000 does,nothing else comes close,I held my mates 11ft Acolyte,it was bloody light yes,but the balance wasn't as good....

dicky123

Reaction score
I find this 'old rod idea better argument' really strange. If a rod is say 20 years old, even 10 years, the newer rods made theses days (as mentioned) have to be way better, with all the modern materials available now. It's normally someone with an old rod that thinks that, everyone else has the newer, lighter, lighter ringed, better reel seat, that the 20 year old rod. Nostalgia is what adds to the price, and I wonder how many people buy a Normark 2000 or similar, own it, then want to sell it when they realise its not a patch on the latest rod from Drennan, heavy and beat up? I'm all for nostalgia and have the odd collectible item like reels, but they are not a patch on the hand made jobs you can buy today. Even the cheap (relatively) Okuma centre-pins are much better than the old Rapidex of my day. Nothing wrong with having an item you like fishing with that gives you pleasure, but don't tell me an old Morris Minor is as good as a modern car, I just cannot agree with that.
I think it works like this, a mystic builds around these rods and people pay a premium, they don't come up very often because there are not so many about now days. But I'd bet my pension the ones that do come up are the handful that keep going around all the time on E-Bay, brought, not as loved as thought, then re-sold again? Give me a new modern rod any-day guys. JMO.

dicky123

Reaction score
I remember going to Leigh tackle and bait with someone I know as he wanted my opinion of the mach3 rods before he bought one.
Anyhow, we had a look at them, and for for the reduced offer price of 50 notes they were very good. My friend wanted a longer rod and bought a 15 footer which was ok.

Another rod Tigger that was cheap but had a excellent action. I had the 15' version and it was perfect, but being the tackle tart I was, it was replaced with a much more expensive 15' rod. Crazy??

dicky123

Reaction score
I do not care what others think,but imo there are few rods indeed that I hold that feel they are meant to be there,the 12ft titan 2000 does,nothing else comes close,I held my mates 11ft Acolyte,it was bloody light yes,but the balance wasn't as good....

Problem is buddy, you cannot feel them all can you, so we never know do we?

sam vimes

Reaction score
you cannot feel them all can you?

You can give it a good go though. :p

I held my mates 11ft Acolyte,it was bloody light yes,but the balance wasn't as good....

Any chance of expanding on that, Alan? What do you mean, was the balance too far forward or too far back for your tastes?
I've just put mine together to check. Without a reel fitted, the balance point is forward of the handle forend (as it should be). Being a short rod, it isn't far down the blank. The only way I found to make the balance poor (too near the reel stem) was to fit a heavy reel. With one of the lighter reels I own, the balance point was still just forward of the handle forend. It's perhaps not quite as far forward as I might prefer, but that's usually the way with short rods, regardless of their overall weight.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Sorry Chris,balance isn't the right word probably,just isn't the same feel,crispness,action,I don't know...and even though my explanation isn't succinct,you probably know where i'm coming from,just don't feel quite right and don't get me wrong,there is not anything wrong with the rod,I would happily use it,it just doesn't match up with my 12ft titan 2000,for what I would call quality of action,but it is my opinion,all mine...

D icky,your right,but I have waggled a good few,I asked a guy the other day,can't remember what the rod was,again decent,but no cigar,lol.... Just to say,the gap between the D and the i is to get over the pathetic censorship,good god,it lets you say piss!!!