Normark Titan 2000 match

Reaction score
I find this 'old rod idea better argument' really strange. If a rod is say 20 years old, even 10 years, the newer rods made theses days (as mentioned) have to be way better, with all the modern materials available now. It's normally someone with an old rod that thinks that, everyone else has the newer, lighter, lighter ringed, better reel seat, that the 20 year old rod. Nostalgia is what adds to the price, and I wonder how many people buy a Normark 2000 or similar, own it, then want to sell it when they realise its not a patch on the latest rod from Drennan, heavy and beat up? I'm all for nostalgia and have the odd collectible item like reels, but they are not a patch on the hand made jobs you can buy today. Even the cheap (relatively) Okuma centre-pins are much better than the old Rapidex of my day. Nothing wrong with having an item you like fishing with that gives you pleasure, but don't tell me an old Morris Minor is as good as a modern car, I just cannot agree with that.
I think it works like this, a mystic builds around these rods and people pay a premium, they don't come up very often because there are not so many about now days. But I'd bet my pension the ones that do come up are the handful that keep going around all the time on E-Bay, brought, not as loved as thought, then re-sold again? Give me a new modern rod any-day guys. JMO.

Please be assured,if I thought a new rod was better than my titan,I would say so and would almost certainly buy one,I have an acolyte ultra,I like the rod,a lot,had no problems snapping as yet?,is as good as the Normark,not a chance,I have handled a Sphere,felt good,worthy of spending the dosh on in comparison,not for me,but if the worst happened with my titan I would probably go for one,i've stood in two rod halls(angling direct MK and Benwick sports)in the last twelve months,that is the only float rod that was worthy of interest,I don't rate any Daiwa i've picked up,have not seen a Shimano for quite a while,all this is down to what I like in a float rod,the biggest mistake I ever made was not buying an Avenger 2000,I will not pay the money being asked now,purely because they are not a blank that can be replaced....

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sorry Chris,balance isn't the right word probably,just isn't the same feel,crispness,action,I don't know...and even though my explanation isn't succinct,you probably know where i'm coming from,just don't feel quite right and don't get me wrong,there is not anything wrong with the rod,I would happily use it,it just doesn't match up with my 12ft titan 2000,for what I would call quality of action,but it is my opinion,all mine...

I'm not going to knock anyone's preferences in rods, no one can be wrong in that regard. Empirical data, like weight, is a little different, but balance, in the true sense of the word, is still problematic. One man's perfect balance is not the same as the next and we all use reels of different sizes and weights. The only idea of "perfect balance" I will argue against is the idea that it means balancing at the reel stem. Further back than that is even worse.

I've never even held a Carbotec, though I've waggled a few different Normarks. The only Normarks I've really used are the early Mk2s. Whilst they aren't the lightest I own, the actions are special. They make me smile in a way that few float rods do without tossing pure nostalgia into the mix. The others I'd include in that category are various Browning Spheres and Shimano Aerocasts (big numb heavy things, but excellent actions with a twist). Acolytes are very light and very good value for money. In certain niches (the 17'er comes to mind), I consider them the best available. However, they don't quite have the X factor of my absolute favourites.

stevejay

Reaction score
Yes I think he did, but I'm not sure it was for as long as the others.
I saw a photo the other day of Team Normark around that time, I think Steve Jackson was the only surviving member now. The others, including Pepe Luxa had all passed away. Sad times.

rob48

Reaction score
I saw a photo the other day of Team Normark around that time, I think Steve Jackson was the only surviving member now. The others, including Pepe Luxa had all passed away. Sad times.
That is sad to hear. I'd not heard anything about John Cockayne. They were all decent blokes in my experience.

Reaction score
Just to add to my earlier reply Chris,no acolyte compares with my present 12ft,or my previous 13fter which I sold thinking I would be able to replace it with something close to it's quality,but have a rod with blanks still available....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
the biggest mistake I ever made was not buying an Avenger 2000,I will not pay the money being asked now,purely because they are not a blank that can be replaced....

I'd say the biggest mistake you made was not buying a mkII avenger.
I had the 2000s and 3000s in 13 and 13 to 15ft and as good as the were, I parted company with them when I got hold of the mkII.....not to be confused with the 13 to 14ft mkII which came after/last of all.

Regarding the acolyte plus rods, I think they are fantastic rods for what I do. They have a nice stiff mid section and combine that with their light weight and slim blank makes them vary fast on the strike. They are a wolf in sheeps clothing regarding the power they posess.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I really like the ones my mates had,sadly one passed away last year,the other is my mate who moved to Wisbech,82 on Christmas day,I fear he won't fish again,he seems to have lost his drive to do anything at all,so sad,the rods would have been the perfect foil for my titan,giving that bit more grunt..

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I really like the ones my mates had,sadly one passed away last year,the other is my mate who moved to Wisbech,82 on Christmas day,I fear he won't fish again,he seems to have lost his drive to do anything at all,so sad,the rods would have been the perfect foil for my titan,giving that bit more grunt..

Yeaph, the avenger would suite your fishing better Alan, they're great as they are good for silvers also, but after saying that, so are the accy plus rods.

silvers

Reaction score
If that's a true story then shakespear should get their money back, other than them being fishing rods, the mach3 rods are nothing like the carbotec rods!

I've used both and the difference between them is huge. The shaky rods feel nothing like carbotecs.

I've heard the same jackanory stories about the mach3 being just like the normarks ?.

Infact i've seen a few of the story tellers telling stories of how the cadence rods are "just like normarks"....yeah, of course they are lol.
From the horse’s mouth ...

silvers

Reaction score
That is sad to hear. I'd not heard anything about John Cockayne. They were all decent blokes in my experience.
very sad!
the first match that I fished after moving to the midlands in 1991 was a Twyford farm wednesday open when I was lucky enough to to finish 4th. jacko was either first or second off one of the island pegs.
Martin Foulkes encouraged me to fish the evening Terry’s match at Harvington. I was lucky enough to draw an absolute flyer where the chub had shoaled up,post spawning. Cocky sat behind me for the last hour of the three, I weighed in 50 odd pounds for an easy win.
only time I’ve ever fished there!

sam vimes

Reaction score
From the horse’s mouth ...

I have no problem believing the story. What I find difficult to believe is that the Mach 3s were a good copy. They aren't even a patch on the early Mk2 Normarks, that most Carbotec/Normark fans dismiss as inferior. If the Mach 3s are a good copy of a Carbotec, I'm a little puzzled as to why so many are so enthusiastic about Carbotecs.

I've heard all sorts of stories about Carbotec and Normark rods being copied. Some go as far as different companies sourcing Diamura blanks (when they still could). There's little doubt that brands will take a good product and attempt to replicate it. Just because it happens doesn't mean that the resulting product is as good as the original.

dicky123

Reaction score
Dave Roberts an angler I quite admire, suggests you should alway use a rod as short as you can get away with. Take a look at his 3 rod reviews on You-Tube as he will explain it better than I can, but I cannot disagree with his thoughts. While we all look at a rod as a whole, I do wonder if some of these rods people rate so highly aren't re-ringed and given new modern handles and reel seats? Surly, if they are that good, they deserve the extra investment? I've just brought a little cheap-o rod at 10' and the blank is a cracker, fittings ok on a rod costing under £70, its the blank I'm after these days.

dicky123

Reaction score
Please be assured,if I thought a new rod was better than my titan,I would say so and would almost certainly buy one,I have an acolyte ultra,I like the rod,a lot,had no problems snapping as yet?,is as good as the Normark,not a chance,I have handled a Sphere,felt good,worthy of spending the dosh on in comparison,not for me,but if the worst happened with my titan I would probably go for one,i've stood in two rod halls(angling direct MK and Benwick sports)in the last twelve months,that is the only float rod that was worthy of interest,I don't rate any Daiwa i've picked up,have not seen a Shimano for quite a while,all this is down to what I like in a float rod,the biggest mistake I ever made was not buying an Avenger 2000,I will not pay the money being asked now,purely because they are not a blank that can be replaced....

Forgive me mate, not arguing, but I'm simply talking like mates do. Why if the rod is that good, and better than anything else out there, would you NOT stump up the money for a second hand one? Lets say someone was asking silly money like £150, thats less than many rods you mentioned? And if like me, you've only broken a handful of rods in a lifetime, why worry? I value your argument, just want to understand it better. Richard.

Reaction score
The silly money is sometimes as much as £300,i've heard of rods going for more than the original retail price(£340+),if you have an accidental breakage,you have no hope of sections being replaced Richard,that is why,nowadays,at 66 yoa I would think twice about paying massive money for anything,on the basis that if I kick the bucket tomorrow thats X amount my missus and family wont have,that said,if my tackle(heaven forbid)was stolen,I would buy a good float rod,a half tidy barbel rod and feeder rod,my priorities are there,however,if I was single i'd have everything....

dicky123

Reaction score
Yes, get that mate. I'm 68 and sell more than I buy now in truth, in fact I'm refining my gear now only owning what I know I'll use. Strange bunch aren't we? Richard.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I was out trying a Colmic Superior rod yesterday on the Stour. Here;s a video of the result. The rod is on trial.
It was light for 14' butisn't the rod of my dreams and I'm going to pass on the offer to buy it. But if you're looking for a light, well-balanced 14 or 15' rod and have £300 to spare then it's worth considering. I guess I'm spoilt for choice of rods nowadays....

Quest for a big Stour roach - Part 2 - Boxing Day

dicky123

Reaction score
Mark. I think I'm about there now for rods. I made the bigger investment in the stick float rod, and have just replaced the Daiwa I broke with a Preston Supera 3-10 gram after a short review by Dave Roberts. At 13' I resisted the craze to buy a short rod, knowing a 13' is far more versatile. Dave suggests it got a quick tip, so once it comes I'll see. I got a very good price too from Bob-Co Friday sales. In future my fishing will be a bit on the Trent, commercials like yourself in winter, and some pole fishing for carp high summer. So I too can say, I'm spoilt for rods too.

I do have to sell some every expensive fly fishing and carp gear soon, and Mags wants a new kitchen, so who am I to say no to a wife that's so generous to me? Keep well buddy, Richard.