Shhhhhhh! How noisy/quiet are you?

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm never happier than when fishing virtually unfished rivers and streams and I know what I've learned over the years works well...............it only usually takes a very short time to catch a fish if you know where they are and they don't know you're there....

Keith M

Reaction score
I’m always very mindful of keeping out of sight of the fish, and the casting of shadows on the water, and restricting bankside movements, and any noise and vibrations from under my feet, and when night fishing I only use a smallish torch if it’s absolutely necessary and never shine it towards the water; and I still can’t catch anything but a cold :giggle:

But if someone approached me with soft footfalls and they were keeping low (and if it were dark without shining a torch) then I have no problems at all with passing the time of day (or night) with them; but if not they would be told in no uncertain terms to move off.

Keith

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
It's an interesting question, noise as in talking, I'm not sure that affects the fish, but crashing about and being seen certainly does.
Then again, I'm very sure fish become accustomed to a lot, I fish a couple of waters that see virtually no anglers or walkers, and the fish are extremely wary of any movement on the bank.
On the other side of the coin, I've caught Barbel and Chub in the Wye when a whole load of Canoes have just crashed through the swim.
I've also seen vids on youtube with people just standing there casting to visible Chub and catching them, which from my experience must mean these fish are very used to people/ noise.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I generally try to keep any kind of noise and disturbance to an absolute bare minimum. I draw the line at crawling about and pretending to be a tree in camo gear. Many years back, I found that camo clothing wasn't really necessary when hunting with air rifles, let alone fishing. Keeping quiet and moving slowly is more than adequate.

However, I've actually found some waters where noise and disturbance don't seem to make a jot of difference. In rare instances, I've known fish to be drawn to noise and disturbance. It's much more likely to be a Pavlovian response on busy waters, but sometimes it happens on quiet waters too.

john step

Reaction score
I have now found several river venues and lakes where it's rare to see another angler, in fact rare to see anyone. These places really still do exist!

Yes plenty in my neck of the woods.

However I do fish a couple of noisier places in winter where the roach migrate to. They seem to get used to passing traffic and footfall.
Not been there lately though due to the restrictions.

There was a small river I used to fish that had cows in the field. If I walked along the bank skylining I could watch the chub dart about to get a good idea where they were living.
If I came back later and walked with the cows bent over slightly doing a ministry of silly walks, the chub took absolutely no notice of the cows which allowed me to get down below the skyline and catch one or two.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I try to be as quiet as I can....certainly when I'm actually fishing. I am not someone prone to bank wandering and I would never, ever skyline another angler. Sadly a lot of my fellow anglers do not seem to have the slightest notion of what "quiet" means. I hate this but sadly many of my favourite waters are infested with these pests. Yes....I am hypersensitive but the complete indifference shown by some people is intensely annoying, totally inconsiderate and just downright rude.

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
Do this tell a story?
999BA56B-23C0-4D98-8C09-5F95FD329422.png

Philip

Reaction score
As a general rule I think stealth & quiet has to be good although there will always be exceptions and even cases were fish will investigate noise…Carp in particular can be very inquisitive to noise and disturbance on occasion from what I have seen. How far you take it I think depends on the type of fishing your doing. For example creepy crawly tippy toeing is going to be more important for say a hunting/roving angler fishing a little stream for opportunist fish than say a static sit and wait angler setting traps on a large lake.

As far as my own fishing is concerned I am generally a very quiet angler, I don’t see many others anyway but I always try and take a bit of trouble about approaching a swim. I did like the Artists comment on another thread about trying to fish for a whole year like you were stalking deer and see what the results would be like. I am not ever likly to try it but it would indeed be interesting. I recon results would be eye opening too.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
I did like the Artists comment on another thread about trying to fish for a whole year like you were stalking deer and see what the results would be like. I am not ever likly to try it but it would indeed be interesting. I recon results would be eye opening too.
I am willing to give it a go, as unlike a lot of the stealthy folk here I feel a bit of a blunderbuss at times despite not being noisy or raucous. Although I know at times it will all go out the window especially if I am fishing with dad or too tired. It's an area I could improve immensely though and it doesn't need any gear. Whether catch results would benefit much would be debatable but everything is marginal gains/losses in angling as we know.

Having had deer, mink, pheasants and many others approach for a drink when being quiet is much more rewarding than having them scare the bejesus out of you when tramping through long grass that's for sure, I'd do it for the wildlife aspect alone

John Aston

Reaction score
Despite being an overweight sixty something with a less than flexible back most of my spring and summer fishing, tench and lure fishing apart, is fishing small, sometimes tiny streams . I rarely see a soul , but close encounters with deer, kingfisher , dippers , sparrowhawks and buzzards are common . Otter too - and the inconvenient truth (for some)is that their presence has had no effect on our catches of trout, grayling and chub . Last year I had one swim to within 3 feet of me before it spotted me . The very odd vole too , which now the mink are declining are a little more common locally , but still rare .

As said, 'study to be quiet ' -not only audibly, but care in not creating bow waves and avoiding the sort of funky flouroescent clothing which it seems to be de rigueur for hipster lure anglers to wear . I see 'em coming , but they never see me.

One small water I fish for roach and bream has a huge amount of fry on the surface on summer days - one audibly closed car door is enough to spook them by the hundred . So think on, as they say in these parts

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I used to keep fish in a tank and I experimented with standing at the end of the room and stamping my foot in increasing pressure. Stamping quite hard they started to dart about but quickly settled down again. basically it was when there was enough vibration created to carry along the floorboards and up the legs of the table and through the water. I think banging brolly poles and bank-sticks would be enough to do this on the bank side. Not being in the confines of a tank I can see them swimming quite far before settling down again.
I just make as little noise as possible, if I have to bang something into the ground I will but try not to. I don't know if talking has enough weight to set up vibration in water but I can't see it in my minds eye. I don't dress in any particular fashion but oddly I suppose I like to be a bit smart and clean, I think I fish better that way; just a mind thing..

Last edited:

Badgerale

Reaction score
I think it's worth being quiet and still just to see the wildlife that emerges on the bankside. Harvest mice and voles as well as various birds will come out where I fish.

That said, I do often use a bite alarm, which I try to keep to an absolute minimum of unnecessary beeping. But I can't help the odd beep.

Carpy types who are constantly tugging and adjusting their setups really piss me off. It isn't hard to take the time to do it quietly.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I try to keep quiet. At present I'm often running a video camera or two, with attendant cameraman pre lockdown, and this seems to attract people who want to: a, stand in front of a 'live' camera, b, commentate on each fish caught, c, tell me I'm making videos.... I sometimetime switch off the cameras, take a 5 minute break and then send them on their way. When I've put an underwater camera out on a pole it has sound switched on and it picks up a lot of sound from the bank.

barbelboi

Reaction score
There is one article in BB’s famous 'Bedside' book where the author thought you might make as much verbal noise on the bank side as you liked...as long as you didn't go stamping up and down. He went on to say he had conducted a number of experiments and was convinced fish 'felt' things but didn't 'hear' them. He advocated crawling to feed a swim up, but thought you might talk as much as you liked.

When I first read the above in the 50’s as an inquisitive young fisherman I couldn’t resist trying out this theory. My friend and I crept low to where the fish were and screamed at the top of our voices – the fish carried on as normal (I have since witnessed a shotgun being fired in a similar fashion with the same result). I then softly (to me) scraped my foot across the ground (still out of sight) and the fish disappeared in a flash. I believe that fish pick up sound exceptionally well under water, probably better than we imagine. It is the detection of sounds above water that do not cause vibration to the bank side that they appear not to hear.

theartist

Reaction score
I believe the pitch of the sound is important, I think you can be louder with a high voice whereas a deep voice travels further and vibrates more.

No one has ever said "He was a great angler his deep booming voice could be heard for miles along the river"

Could also be why women anglers do disproportionally well with their softer higher voices and lighter feet?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
There is one article in BB’s famous 'Bedside' book where the author thought you might make as much verbal noise on the bank side as you liked...as long as you didn't go stamping up and down. He went on to say he had conducted a number of experiments and was convinced fish 'felt' things but didn't 'hear' them. He advocated crawling to feed a swim up, but thought you might talk as much as you liked.

When I first read the above in the 50’s as an inquisitive young fisherman I couldn’t resist trying out this theory. My friend and I crept low to where the fish were and screamed at the top of our voices – the fish carried on as normal (I have since witnessed a shotgun being fired in a similar fashion with the same result). I then softly (to me) scraped my foot across the ground (still out of sight) and the fish disappeared in a flash. I believe that fish pick up sound exceptionally well under water, probably better than we imagine. It is the detection of sounds above water that do not cause vibration to the bank side that they appear not to hear.
That makes a lot of sense to me, fish have ears but their lateral line is probably more sensitive to vibrations.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I try to keep quiet. At present I'm often running a video camera or two, with attendant cameraman pre lockdown, and this seems to attract people who want to: a, stand in front of a 'live' camera, b, commentate on each fish caught, c, tell me I'm making videos.... I sometimetime switch off the cameras, take a 5 minute break and then send them on their way. When I've put an underwater camera out on a pole it has sound switched on and it picks up a lot of sound from the bank.
Can you hear yourself talking?

John Aston

Reaction score
It's always amusing to see the range of daft reasons blokes can give for any woman who dares to catch more, or bigger fish than they can . Some of the more Jurassic era salmon anglers even convinced themselves it was all down to pheromones -anything reason at all than the shocking truth that some women are just seriously good anglers.