Strong monofilament lines.

Rabmax

Reaction score
Hello all.I am not really a coarse fisher.Allthough i do fly fish for grayling quite often.Anyway i normally use fishing monofilament designed for coarse fishing.Often find coarse fishing lines cheaper & often better than so called fly fishing tippet.The last few years i have been using konger steelon with the green label.(Love this stuff )Strong cheap & flourocarbon coated so doesn't degrade with UV light.But it's become impossible to buy in the UK.The ebay seller i was buying from.He said he can't stock it anymore because of (Brexit)Anyway will probably run out of konger in 4-6 months.I am sure a few people will be familiar with konger.Anyone got any suggestions of anything as good as konger to try out.Cheers

john step

Reaction score
Have a look at Drennan Supplex. Various breaking strains.

RMNDIL

Reaction score
How stiff do you want it ??? In my experience, and not that much of it, softer nylons like Supplex can be a bit of a nightmare for tangles

Rabmax

Reaction score
How stiff do you want it ??? In my experience, and not that much of it, softer nylons like Supplex can be a bit of a nightmare for tangles
Fairly stiff i do a lot of euronymphing & also nymph with a drop shot rig.Not really looking at going back to using flourocarbon. Something with good knot strength in around the 0.12 & 0.14mm diameter.I might end up going back to stroft abr( used it years back.Just wondering what others are using.Maybe some new coarse monofilaments around i have never heard of yet.Cheers

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Does it have to be mono ? I use Incognito fluoro in 5lb bs for all my fly fishing ( bar sea trout) and its bulletproof. Its stiffish which helps with tangles and has brilliant knot strength. Not the cheapest and not the easiest to find in lower bs but since I found this I wont use anything else.

Failing that ( and if you can find it) Suffix Dura Flex which is a hi tec mono and phenomenally strong for its diameter. Softer than Incognito.0.14 diameter is said to be 5.3lb bs. Really good stuff but increasingly hard to find.

bullet

Reaction score
I find supplex flouro in various diameters excellent for all my fly work.
Fulling mill flouro is also very good, and a bit stiiffer.

Rabmax

Reaction score
I find supplex flouro in various diameters excellent for all my fly work.
Fulling mill flouro is also very good, and a bit stiiffer.
Used to use g3 Platinum & liked it.It's another one that's impossible to buy or been done away with.Hate the normal g3.It's as stiff as cheese wire.Fulling mill I know it used to be good.But have heard the new formula filling mill isn't good.Cheers

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know you are looking at monos but, Seaguar fluro is supposed to be good stuff.
I used it for zander whilst jigging on recommendations from others and it seemed to be very good.

Rabmax

Reaction score
I know you are looking at monos but, Seaguar fluro is supposed to be good stuff.
I used it for zander whilst jigging on recommendations from others and it seemed to be very good.
I have also used Seaguar Red Label quite a bit in the past.The Red Label is great stuff but only goes down to 4lb 0.165mm (4.5X)I still have quite a bit of red label.Not sure if it's practical ordering red label in the future from America.With import tax & royal mail handling charges.Probably if going to use flourocarbon probably just as cheap or cheaper buying something in the UK now.Used Flourocarbon for quite a few years in the past .Not sure i believe the advertising about it being invisible to fish.I seem to catch just as much on monofilaments like the konger.

John Aston

Reaction score
I use fluoro extensively for lure fishing but for river fly fishing I find it useless - too thick, too stiff and it sinks like a brick . My line of choice is Reflo Powerline - cheap , strong , reliable and as thin as the 4 times more expensive Riverge Grand Max.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use fluoro extensively for lure fishing but for river fly fishing I find it useless - too thick, too stiff and it sinks like a brick . My line of choice is Reflo Powerline - cheap , strong , reliable and as thin as the 4 times more expensive Riverge Grand Max.

Might be worth you having a look at silstar match, I prefer it to prestons myself.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cheers just looked that up.New one on me.Never heard of Silstar before.

It is my firm favourite as a lower diameter hooklength. Deffo worth you giving it a go.

You may well get it cheaper than this, this is just a link to some...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Cheers just looked that up.New one on me.Never heard of Silstar before.
You may find some under WB Clarke match team. It's the same line,
Try
Drennan Double Strength.
Trabucco Carp match, 0.14 is rated around 10lb the 0.10 is rated around 5lb.
It's expensive though and can be hard to get hold of.
Tubertini Gorrilla is also a good line.

Rabmax

Reaction score
You may find some under WB Clarke match team. It's the same line,
Try
Drennan Double Strength.
It's expensive though and can be hard to get hold of.
Tubertini Gorrilla is also a good line.
Tabacco XPS white monofilament have used it as a Spanish nymph leader (good stuff)Tabacco Carp Match 0.14mm at 10lb.That's increadably strong if true.Cheers

nottskev

Reaction score

Phew. 0.14 is rated 4.6lb, Silstar and 5.3lb, Harrell. Trabucco also sell a line, Elite, that is claimed to be 9.3lb at 0.14. Hard to imagine.
Their catalogue has 41 pages of different monofilaments and braids at 2-3 lines to a page.
Never seen any, save for Diamond, which I hadn't seen this century but used a lot last.
Do you use any of them Mark?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Phew. 0.14 is rated 4.6lb, Silstar and 5.3lb, Harrell. Trabucco also sell a line, Elite, that is claimed to be 9.3lb at 0.14. Hard to imagine.
Their catalogue has 41 pages of different monofilaments and braids at 2-3 lines to a page.
Never seen any, save for Diamond, which I hadn't seen this century but used a lot last.
Do you use any of them Mark?
Hi Kev, I use the carp match in both 0.10 and 0.14, it is very supple , I use it on some margin rigs, had nothing break on me and had a couple of low doubles out on it.
Also use the 0.10 as a hooklength on a waggler rod now and then.
I have also used Silstar match team and Drennan Double Strength.
I think I paid around £8 for 50 metres of the Trabucco last time I got some from Vale Royal angling.( used to be Scotts)
I may try and see if I can get some elite,

chevin4

Reaction score
In the lighter strains I like Silstar Match. For float fishing for tench and feeder fishing for chub I still use 6lb Maxima. For barbel fishing and long range bream fishing I am impressed with 10lb Esp Synro XT. For pike fishing I chiefly use 50lb bs Power Pro.