Line roller bearing replacement for old reel.

hooferinsane

Reaction score
A squeak which has developed on an old shakespeare reel from 25 years back, I have narrowed it down to the line roller bearing after watching a few youtube videos.. I know how to replace it, but does anyone know of a source of line roller bearings, or is it the obvious and phone up shakespeare?

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Are you sure that a drop of light oil won’t cure it?

Keith
I tried that but still the same. I am not sure it is the line roller now as it also happens as, I have just realised, without having a spool of line on. I think it is within the reel, (so does the wife lol). I could open up the reel, and give it some wd40, but worried I could do something to make it worse, bits drop out etc. The good thing about this reel is it has two spare spools…..

chrissh

Reaction score
I tried that but still the same. I am not sure it is the line roller now as it also happens as, I have just realised, without having a spool of line on. I think it is within the reel, (so does the wife lol). I could open up the reel, and give it some wd40, but worried I could do something to make it worse, bits drop out etc. The good thing about this reel is it has two spare spools…..
Don`t use WD40 it not an oil

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Well, problem solved! Took the plunge and opened up the reel cover, didn’t take out any components as didn’t want to lose any components. A drop of sewing machine oil into every moving part that I could see. Screwed back down the reel cover (all four screws the same, had put them down in order). Put the reel arm in, still squeaking !! Arghh!!
This reel came with another ‘double’ reel arm/handle (like a carp handle). Just as on the off chance, put that on - no squeak!!!
I had lubricated the other reel arm/ handle too. Picked up the other reel arm off the table, as I did it ‘squeaked’ on its own. The culprit which I didn’t even think of lubricating was the joint at the handle as below. One drop of oil solved it. After this has driven me mad for 2/3 days, and feeling like a doughnut, I now have the most free running, well lubricated reel ever.
I am just not sure what to say to Shakespeare service and repairs though when they ring me back after sourcing a spare bale arm roller….,.

13AB6E42-6460-4933-926D-99929C9FE14F.jpeg