Returning

Man2wolf

Reaction score
Hi
Havent fished since I was a teenager but now I'm retired would like to get back into it. When I was young and part of a poor family I used a junior fibre glass rod with a cheap reel and home made cork float courtesy of my dad (he used to make his own bamboo cane rods, I can still smell the varnish). Modern tackle is a mystery so looking forward to getting lots of tips. Initially looking just to float fish on my local canal.

Man2wolf

Reaction score
The Bridgewater around Walton, Grappenhall (only because thats where my dad used to take me) and Sankey Canal between Widnes and Warrington.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome. I too fish the Bridgewater occasionally on the WAA card.There is a lot to learn so read the posts, make your own, use the search facility and ask questions. In short participate.

Keith M

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum ?

If you have any questions just ask, we were all begginers at some time and there will always be people willing to help you on the forum.

Keith

Man2wolf

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum ?

If you have any questions just ask, we were all begginers at some time and there will always be people willing to help you on the forum.

Keith
In that case I'll be cheeky and ask my first of no doubt many questions. Recommendations for a budget float rod & reel combo, around £60 for both?

Keith M

Reaction score
First, What type of fish are you going to try to catch? and where are you intending to be fishing?

If you wanting to use it on commercials where there’s a good chance of hooking smallish Carp then a commercial float rod would probably suit you better; which will handle mid sized fish like smallish Carp and Tench and decent sized Bream and would also not be out of place catching smaller fish as well.

Otherwise; if you are just expecting to catch smaller fish like Roach and Rudd on non commercial lakes and ponds then a light float rod might suit you a lot better with lighter lines and smaller hooks.

If you where to ask at your local fishing tackle shop they should be able to tell you all about your local waters and what you are likely to be catching from the waters in your area, and they should also be able to point you in the direction of the type of tackle you’d need.
It’s in their interest to look after your needs, however unfortunately there is still the very occasional shark out there so it might be worth asking on here before you finally part with your cash.

Keith

Last edited:

Man2wolf

Reaction score
First, What type of fish are you going to try to catch? and where are you intending to be fishing?

If you wanting to use it on commercials where there’s a good chance of hooking smallish Carp then a commercial float rod would probably suit you better; which will handle mid sized fish like smallish Carp and Tench and decent sized Bream and would also not be out of place catching smaller fish as well.

Otherwise; if you are just expecting to catch smaller fish like Roach and Rudd on non commercial lakes and ponds then a light float rod might suit you a lot better with lighter lines and smaller hooks.

If you where to ask at your local fishing tackle shop they should be able to tell you all about your local waters and what you are likely to be catching from the waters in your area, and they should also be able to point you in the direction of the type of tackle you’d need.
It’s in their interest to look after your needs, however unfortunately there is still the very occasional shark out there so it might be worth asking on here before you finally part with your cash.

Keith
Thanks for the response. It will be perch/roach/rudd on my local canal. Will research tackle shops in my area and hope they are friendly ?

nottskev

Reaction score
Welcome on FM. It's not a bad time to be buying some gear. Affordable gear has never been more abundant or better quality, so there's plenty to look at in that lightish float float rod and smallish reel category.

Keith M

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. It will be perch/roach/rudd on my local canal. Will research tackle shops in my area and hope they are friendly ?
Then It sounds like you’d be better off with a light float rod between around 11ft to 13ft (the light float rods that I use on my canals are all either 12ft or 13ft) and using main lines of around 2½ to 3lbs or thereabouts with size 18 or 20 fine wire hooks to Nylon.
NB: You can tie your own hooks to nylon if you had someone to show you how but to be honest you would probably be better off using ready tied hooks to start.

A reel which takes a maximum of around 100 mtrs of line like the <https://www.drennantackle.com/products/reels/red-range-float-6-30/ > or a similar reel would be a good cheapish option although if you did get a reel such as a Diawa Ninja which is also fairly cheap you might have to load some backing line onto it before loading your main line as they have slightly deeper spools than the Drennan reels.

Others on here might give you more ideas about different rods and reels which they would use for catching Roach/Rudd/perch etc on their canals.

Keith

Last edited:

Man2wolf

Reaction score
Then It sounds like you’d be better off with a light float rod between around 11ft to 13ft (the light float rods that I use on my canals are all either 12ft or 13ft) and using main lines of around 2½ to 3lbs or thereabouts with size 18 or 20 fine wire hooks to Nylon.
NB: You can tie your own hooks to nylon if you had someone to show you how but to be honest you would probably be better off using ready tied hooks to start.

A reel which takes a maximum of around 100 mtrs of line like the <https://www.drennantackle.com/products/reels/red-range-float-6-30/ > or a similar reel would be a good cheapish option although if you did get a reel such as a Diawa Ninja which is also fairly cheap you might have to load some backing line onto it before loading your main line as they have slightly deeper spools than the Drennan reels.

Others on here might give you more ideas about different rods and reels which they would use for catching Roach/Rudd/perch etc on their canals.

Keith
Thanks again.

mikench

Reaction score
I would add that whilst fishing tackle can be inexpensive £60 for both rod and reel , if new, precludes you from a lot of quality gear which you will enjoy long into the future. I would either buy second hand or up your budget by double.

If you can find a Greys Toreon tactical float rod in 10'6" ( discontinued) and pair it with a decent shimano reel or a Ninja, you will have a combo that will meet all your needs and more and provide lasting pleasure. I have both but the rod in particular (£60 or so) is superb and one which several members on here have bought not once but twice to ensure they have a spare?

rayner

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum M2W. you will fit in here just nice. It is a good place for knowledge if you are unsure.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The Bridgewater around Walton, Grappenhall (only because thats where my dad used to take me) and Sankey Canal between Widnes and Warrington.
The Sankey is closed to fishing from Fiddlers Ferry towards Warrington.
I think WAA still has the Tanhouse industrial estate stretch, also the rest of the Bridgewater canal. You would need a WAA card to fish it.
Go into Warrington Tackle and Guns on Parksway at Woolston , it was formerly known as Baileys Tackle.
They will give you all the advice you need and will not palm any old tat off on you.

Man2wolf

Reaction score
Is that correct re the Sankey as the Mersey Gateway is open and the tow path is clear again from Spike Island to Penketh?

Thanks for the heads up re Tackle & Guns - not sure about visiting a shop that sells guns though. Perhaps you can reassure me!

Last edited:

Man2wolf

Reaction score
Is that correct re the Sankey as the Mersey Gateway is open and the tow path is clear again from Spike Island to Penketh?

Thanks for the heads up re Tackle & Guns - not sure about visiting a shop that sells guns though. Perhaps you can reassure me!
Just realised the stretch you mean - that is rather overgrown! Apologies!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs

The gun part is at the back of the shop. They do not sell shotguns, only air rifles.
Plus it's the only tackle shop in warrington apart from Angling Direct.