Venues for newbies and younger anglers

bantam_dave21

Reaction score
Hiya,

can anyone help with venue suggestions please? I’m a returning angler after circa 20 years away. We’ve just been away on hols and done a bit of fishing with the whip and waggler on brayford pool where we were staying and had circa 20 or so fish over a few short spells. Some nice roach and a Rudd in there rest small silvers, skimmers etc.

but want to keep going, my lad has the bug and it’s re lit my fire a little too.

looking for suggestions where we can go bank holiday ideally where there are larger pegs so we can essentially share one as the lad isn’t so hot on the unhooking front yet.

we’re in Worksop so looking to not travel too far…

thanks

chrissh

Reaction score
Hi Dave 21

From Worksop there’s a few good ponds you can go to all within 20 to 40 minuets drive

Chesterfield canal at shire oaks or by The lock keeper pub the only problem would be the boat being a weekend

Kiveton Waters, Hard Ln, Kiveton Park, Sheffield S26 6RP

Phyllis Lake, Common Rd, North Anston, Sheffield S25 4AH

Barlow Country Club, Mill Farm Cottage, Dronfield S18 7TJ

Aston Park Fisheries, Fiddle Neck Ln, Mansfield Rd, Sheffield S26 5PQ

bantam_dave21

Reaction score
Hi Dave 21

From Worksop there’s a few good ponds you can go to all within 20 to 40 minuets drive

Chesterfield canal at shire oaks or by The lock keeper pub the only problem would be the boat being a weekend

Kiveton Waters, Hard Ln, Kiveton Park, Sheffield S26 6RP

Phyllis Lake, Common Rd, North Anston, Sheffield S25 4AH

Barlow Country Club, Mill Farm Cottage, Dronfield S18 7TJ

Aston Park Fisheries, Fiddle Neck Ln, Mansfield Rd, Sheffield S26 5PQ
Thanks Chris, was fancying the lock keeper but can’t determine where the rights to it sit. CRT have an angling group down but no response from the contact. Will look the others up - thanks for your help, much appreciated

Zyvis

Reaction score
A lot of daytickets have easier more mixed lakes suitable for youngsters and beginners
Their specimen lakes are for the diehards and are best avoided as they tend to be super pressured and bites are very hard earned

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Mike a lot say "carp to 20lb" in the waters,
They may be one, the rest are more or less average 5lb, 6lb with the odd 10lb in the mix.
A club I was in in North West which shall remain nameless, one or two on here have been members. Put some bream in a club water and posted on Facebook and club forum that there were bream to 7lb in this particular water,there was one. The rest were skimmers with a few around 3lb. Also same with Tench, said tench to 4lb, again there was one, the rest were less than a pound.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
A lot of daytickets have easier more mixed lakes suitable for youngsters and beginners
Their specimen lakes are for the diehards and are best avoided as they tend to be super pressured and bites are very hard earned
I fish a couple of commercials that have specimen lakes, They are not super pressurised, in fact some weekends there may be a couple of anglers on them. One has a rule that anyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult, All have a list of rules for All of the waters on the sites.not many have beginners pools,

mikench

Reaction score
Whenever I see " known species are........" I discount the existence of several until I catch one or know of one being caught . I am similarly sceptical of any reference to size. Most club books are disingenuous.

bullet

Reaction score
Indeed, Mike.
Many years ago, when new to Angling, I was naive enough to believe Club Books.....it didn't last long.

bantam_dave21

Reaction score
Wow guys I missed some of these replies…thanks for the input….as it goes we found a nice spot in east markham. Lots of silvers, and plenty catching. Some carp in the bigger lake. We fished the smaller one, Only small roach etc we were catching. But perfect for a young lad on his whip catching every drop on maggot, tho some greedy sods among em that took some unhooking. I dreaded taking him somewhere that was a hard fish that would wreck any small glimmer of passion for fishing. That said I was about to get my pole out and have a bash myself and he was bored and wanted to go home….hats off to my local tackle shop for the recommendation and making it sound appealing to the lad while he was eyeing up lots of shiny tackle….