When would you consider yourself too old

rayner

Reaction score
I feel I have already reached that time. I still keep trying, the term trying is very apt because it is very trying.
It seems like whatever I try to do is very troublesome and arduous. I am determined to work through it. One thing I am trying to do is to take more care with my casting, my casting is really bad since the lockdown. Being stuck in the house shielding has not helped, I can cast straight but for my stopping my float or bomb on the cast to stop where I need to is rather ad-hoc. I just can not seem to be able to get my hookbait land after the float or bomb, my timing is ridiculously non-existant. My tackle lands like a bag of $h!t instead of in a nice straight line. Casting letting the tackle land untidily does nothing to help my catches, I am not seeing bites from either bomb or waggler. I do not like fishing to a clip with light lines so that is out.
Oh, I am fed up, I never get fed up.:(

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have thought about it a few times lately, age and operations have taken there toll on me and just sell all the gear and move on to something else. Still thinking about it. Freshwater fishing is actually quite arduous, a lot of getting stuff ready, carrying it and getting there. Then there is all the rigmarole of setting everything up, tying knots, trying not to miss the seat when I sit down:) It's not as much fun as it was that's for sure. I have a nice camera and binoculars, I maybe could just as happily take that up more and forgo all the arduous bit. Thats the key to "what age" I think, when do you stop enjoying it? I dunno yet, maybe; wait and see.

flightliner

Reaction score
A good question, and one that I have started to think about myself, particularly after my accident and two stays in hospital earlier in the year.
Trips out seem a little more arduous especially when negotiating the big steep bankside Trent rocks which can be notoriosly slippy on the tidal reaches.
Altho I still feel able to carry on I do realise that tide and time will continuously keep chipping away at my ability to do so.
One ray of hope I have presented itself last week, it was a very old angler, one that I made a thread of some ten years ago titled "A wonderful old angler" (think that was the title) well, there he stood as large as life telling me he was ninety one years old. Absolutely amazing.
Still negotiating those slippy rocks like a mountain goat!
I can only hope.

steve2

Reaction score
Age doesn't really have much to do with it in my case just the need to go hasn't been there for some time. To be honest if I could get a good price for of my tackle I would sell most of it. I know I will never go match fishing again or possibly fly fishing.
If I lived closer to some good fishing I might still be keen but I can't face 30 odd miles of driving on the M25 or A12 for a few hours fishing. Golf is now making a come back for me I can walk out of the house and be on a golf course in 5 minutes.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I’ve had a few health problems over the last couple of years. Standing for long periods ruins me for a couple of days or more afterwards. I still go fishing though and I think back to a regular customer I had who had suffered from MS for around seventeen years. He was a little bit wobbly but refused to use a stick or crutches. His reasoning was that if he used a stick he would become dependent on it, next step a crutch followed by two crutches and then a wheelchair. He thought his muscles would start to deteriorate if he used them less and in truth he was a testament to his ideas. He held down a full time job in central London and had a young family. He was a nice bloke and quite inspirational to be honest. I will try to follow the same path and keep going for as long as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philip

Reaction score
I dont think age itself will ever stop me in the physical sense but I do fear that if I cannot fish as I want then my motivation may stop me from a mental point of view.

Something I have rarely been able to do is simply go fishing just for the pleasure of it, I do need a goal or a target most of the time. I worry that if for example I become limited to certain venues with flat banks or platforms or whatever were you already basically know what you will catch then I think I could lose interest very quickly as I do need a bit of mystery. Knowing this I have already got it in my head that the canals may offer a solution of flat banks, easy access and a touch of not knowing what might turn up. Perhaps they will become my savoir when the time comes.

nottskev

Reaction score
There's no answer to that. Because it depends on what happens to your health, and there is no simple relation between age and health, You could be fit enough to fish at 80 or struggling to move at 60. Personally, as a kind of insurance, I've tried to cultivate, if not a liking, a tolerance for easy access commercials. But it's not shaping up well so far.

peterjg

Reaction score
I am in my late 60s and have a few concerning health issues (who doesn't!). I no longer need or want to do lots of night fishing for carp. Fortunately I have redirected my enthusiasm to try to catch big roach - this therefore means less whole night sessions and the lugging of less tackle. Like the above posts I need a goal and because I detest crowded venues I avoid commercials. Fish styles and venues which suit your physical issues. When fishing I regularly check-in with my wife by text so a mobile (and signal) is essential.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The trouble with fishing, it requires all of our faculties, eyesight, concentration, coordination, balance, awareness, peripheral vision and more and all to some degree or other depending on what and how your fishing. All these deteriorate with age or health or both. For some this will be more than others. I spent an hour just sea watching from a bench yesterday with some binoculars, a camera and a book, I could easily have spent two or three hours in the sunshine, it was quite enjoyable if a little boring, watched a couple of blokes beach fishing in the distance flogging the sea with lures catching nothing and it is hard work. That is a particular type of fishing I know but it is all hard work to some degree.
I am not ready to give it up but some days, like yesterday and the day before, increasingly I am choosing to do something that is easier for me. I think that will be the case more than actually deciding to give it up, I will just find I will go less and less until I go no more and other interests/hobbies will just take over.

Last edited:

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I thought I was "too old to fish at 35" after developing Lupus. Since then I have adapted my life and my fishing to suit whatever physical state I might be in - Lupus is a VERY variable disease with severe phases and remissions. Even when in remission though you can have a hangover of various debilitating symptoms! Chronic fatigue is the worst!

So I eventually gave up on my Scottish sea fishing as my legs got too tired on the boat (I kept tripping over!) and rocky shore marks became tiring and downright dangerous. Eventually my wife and I moved to France - river fishing might be possible!

Out of the main french holiday season of July and August there are boat landing stages and slipways that I can drive up to and fish. As long as I move my lines if the occasional boat does turn up there is no hassle. On my better days I go exploring but it has been amazing how much good fishing I have found in the "easy" spots!

landing stage swim.....

IMG_20200511_110933161_HDR (1).jpg

Slipway swim...

Scenic swim 5 barbel.jpg

Nice barbel released down the slipway.....

Barbel release Larnagol.jpg

It has taken a few years to discover the easy swims......it has been fun looking! (y)

Should add....I am 69 now! ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'll keep going whilst I'm physically able without being a danger to myself and others. The venues and styles of fishing may have to change along the way. I already doubt that I'll ever do another night session. I can't cope with the mountain of gear nor the bad back induced by bed chairs.