Making Pellets from Luncheon Meat

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Does anyone do this, the reason I ask is yesterday I had a tin. I couldn't get the meat out successfully, made a bit of a hash of it, I had left my knife at home. But, I had this plastic tube that I had sort of fashioned into a bread punch and pushed it into the meat right the way down about 4 inches and when I pulled it out it had filled. I managed to push the meat out with a float and had a nice sausage of meat about 4 inches long which I cut into lengths of about an inch; the tube is about 1/2 inch in diameter so the "sausage" was the same. Made a very good "pellet". I want to improve on this and also make some very small pellets the same way for roach and crucians etc. Is there a better way? I would like to do this straight from the tin if possible without taking the meat out. I could just carry on using this tube and make a plunger of some sort and try and get some smaller tubes for smaller pellets like drinking straws maybe but, it might be difficult pushing the meat out, I just thought I would ask if any of you have any ideas. thanks.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I hate tins and they are a bad cut waiting to happen. Have you tried Spam in a plastic container? I prefer to cut my block at home.

I can make cubes tubes and irregular shapes. I have a very thin contraption bought from Chris on FM whose name just escapes me. He is from Bradford and sells tackle. It makes a tube of 3mm.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hague01

Reaction score
Ps. No need to take out of a tin and if put in a fridge overnight with a flavour make perfect baits. I used to use bread punches.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I hate tins and they are a bad cut waiting to happen. Have you tried Spam in a plastic container? I prefer to cut my block at home.

I can make cubes tubes and irregular shapes. I have a very thin contraption bought from Chris on FM whose name just escapes me. He is from Bradford and sells tackle. It makes a tube of 3mm.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hate tins as well, especially those ring pull ones. We have not heard from Laguana for a long time, I will check your link. I have seen the plastic tubs one somewhere but don't usually find them, I got the tin from Sainsbury's yesterday and I don't think they do plastic ones. Its on my way to fishing but I will look in Morrisons next time I go there.

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
It’s the guru punch box, I’ve had one for a couple of years, you can punch meat , bread etc, it’s very good as the punches eject the contents with a small plunger, you do need to get the meat out of the tin though, there’s four different size punches included.

Did try to post the whole advert of the guru website, but that’s all I got.

Last edited:

hague01

Reaction score
this is what I made earlier. Ha! Always wanted to say that. All I need for this afternoon!
I am told spuds work too so may try that!

Attachments

• meat baller.jpg
    meat baller.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 167

rich66

Reaction score
I do it all the while with meat/bread punch from ngt get quite a decent pellet sized piece.
I make them at home sometimes fry them in garlic

Molehill

Reaction score
I have used versions of this for years, I tend to cut the block of spam into lumps of the width I want to punch through. Like this a standard bread punch works fine with a little care pocking the meat out. The left over spam after punching out is obviously chopped up for feed.
For larger pieces I have two pieces of copper plumbing pipe in the 2 diameters, these make bigger barbel sized baits (and fine for bigger bread punch).
A long piece of meat punched out in low diameter can be threaded on the hook (with care) and fished, it sort of resembles a worm or bug on the bottom of a river, think the different presentation of spam can help a lot.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
this is what I made earlier. Ha! Always wanted to say that. All I need for this afternoon!
I am told spuds work too so may try that!
Its a great idea and I will look out for some however, I think I want to be able to cut different lengths with a tube. I was threading a baiting needle through these tubes I cut yesterday and pulling a 14 hook back through the whole length and twisting around and pulling back through just with the point showing over the edge; this was ideal and stayed on the hook even after casting and pulling back through reeds and lilies. Mike's/Laguanas punches look ideal for the smaller tubes of meat, thanks Mike for sourcing that video- I could carry on using the plastic tube I used yesterday, this size was ideal in my mind for tench and bream which I was after and probably carp, all I need to do is fashion a plunger from a stick. I am always keeping things as light as possible even my small bits. The copper tubing is a good idea as well instead of the plastic tubes, I might look out for that, in fact I think I have some oddments buried away somewhere.

nottskev

Reaction score
Like Molehill, I take it out of the tin, slice and punch in two or three sizes. I find it helps to chill the tin in the fridge first, and run a hot tap over the block to take off the slimy fat. I keep the hookbaits in little screw top containers - the sort carp anglers might soak baits in flavour in - and usually add some spicy meat gunk, like Polony Oil. I couldn't prove it, but I have the impression oiled baits keep from going off a bit longer kept in the fridge.

Hair-rigging punched meat can be tricky as the usual line tag/loop can easily pull through the soft bait, and that's a worry if you're waiting a while for fish like barbel, and other fish peck at it. Any good solutions? I've threaded bits of pole-float silicone on the line between hook and loop, but that's a bit tedious. I've tried the shop-bought meat holder things with a rubber stem and a base, but they are awful clunky imo. Of course the hook can be buried in bigger chunks, but I've found the punched meat good just because it gives smaller baits that are taken more readily.

David Gane

Reaction score
Does anyone do this, the reason I ask is yesterday I had a tin. I couldn't get the meat out successfully, made a bit of a hash of it, I had left my knife at home. But, I had this plastic tube that I had sort of fashioned into a bread punch and pushed it into the meat right the way down about 4 inches and when I pulled it out it had filled. I managed to push the meat out with a float and had a nice sausage of meat about 4 inches long which I cut into lengths of about an inch; the tube is about 1/2 inch in diameter so the "sausage" was the same. Made a very good "pellet". I want to improve on this and also make some very small pellets the same way for roach and crucians etc. Is there a better way? I would like to do this straight from the tin if possible without taking the meat out. I could just carry on using this tube and make a plunger of some sort and try and get some smaller tubes for smaller pellets like drinking straws maybe but, it might be difficult pushing the meat out, I just thought I would ask if any of you have any ideas. thanks.
I have a set of six tailor made punches specifically for the purpose bought from the angling guy on my local market years ago, and yes the technique works very well. You can also hair rig the pellets once you have made them. Another tip that is worth remembering: you can freeze the pellets once you have made them. You are going to get more pellets than you can use in a session from a can, so making them in advance and freezing them in batches will save you a few bob.