How did you get on?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Dear me Mark! Fishing is supposed to be relaxing , before during and after. I have an old iPhone 6 in an Apple case which is made of a material smooth to the touch but which sticks to material as in pockets. I also keep it in my shorts or trousers. It sometimes is difficult to extricate but I haven't lost it. It's so easy to do.??
Mike I am going to use the one I keep in the car next time I go fishing, I rang the one I lost yesterday morning.It was still active,so it hadn't fallen in the water. Anyway I have had it locked and blocked ,so it's no use to anyone.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Three great white egrets on the reservoir along with seven common egrets,geese,ducks and numerous herons this morning with
a cool southerly breeze sweeping towards the dam.
Right hand roared off with a tench attached,fighting hard but all went slack and I found the braided hooklength had broken about half way,set about tying up a new one. Had a bite on the other rod ,landing a bream of about a pound and a half.
The right hand rod roared off again with a 4lb 1oz male tench and later had two small but perfectly formed male tench of 1lb 14oz & 1lb 8oz on long range popped up corn.

john step

Reaction score
What is probably my last bashing day on the deep reservoir before its time to go Autumn fishing with more finesse for silvers before the piking starts. Busy life.
10 carp to low doubles on the float and pin. I hope the duckweed on the Fos and Witham recedes soon so the roach and perch will be available. On some of my local waters its pointless going for roach until the cold weather due to getting crashed off by carp hence the if you cant beat them just join them until then.

Taking a birdy leaf from Pete Shears.......... I had a buzzard land in a bush alongside me today. What large magnificent birds they are.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
I am not sure if that stretch of the Weaver is WAA controlled or by another club,
There is a good stretch near the swing bridge and garden centre, plus the Weaver navigation canal.
I think that Winsford & DAA control a lot of that area, as do Lymm. My club (Port Sunlight) took on part of the Navigation earlier this year, although I haven't made it down there yet.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I think that Winsford & DAA control a lot of that area, as do Lymm. My club (Port Sunlight) took on part of the Navigation earlier this year, although I haven't made it down there yet.
I was in Lymm until last year, I thought they only had shared access to a caravan park stretch. The navigation near the garden centre was WAA controlled at one time, it was a work in progress venue.They were not sure what is in there.
The stretches near Acton Bridge can be decent fishing

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I decided to go to Newlands today, I hadn't been there since 16th June and recent reports said it was hit and miss.

I got there and the bottom car park was empty. There were a couple of anglers fishing. Speaking to one he said he had been there hour and a half and not had a bite .He said the same about the bloke on the other bank.

I thought while I made the effort I may as well stay.
I set up the Shimano Speedcast feeder rod matched to a Shimano 4000DL Baitrunner loaded with 5lb Maxima. The business end was a PI inline 20g lead . Hook length was 6lb Guru to a 14 Guru xstrong hook.

Next was the Matrix MTX Margin pole.
The 2 margin rigs were PI Shallow floats 4 X 14 on 0.17 mainline to a 0.15 hook length and a PR34 hook.
The left margin was 3' deep this was baited with a few handfuls of red maggots.
The right margin was 6' deep, this was baited with a few 6mm pellets, this was my throw away line. The last time I fished it the right margin was 4' deep, I have a feeling the club have removed all the lilies from there.

From the off on the left margin I was catching perch from less than an ounce to around 4ounces. Not much fun on solid 16 slip elastic.
The float dipped again and I lifted into it expecting another perch, the elastic shot out and after a few minutes the hook parted from the hook length, I was cursing Preston Innovations. So I made a hook length up with Guru pulse and a Guru xstrong hook.

I fed a few grains of corn with the maggots in the left margin, and kept throwing a couple of grains in every 5 minutes while I had a go on the right hand margin.Nothing doing on it.

By now I reeled the straight lead in from the island 40 yards out, never had a bite. and didn't bother with it again.

So back to the left margin .
Baited the hook with a grain of corn and fed a couple of grains and a few maggots.
I had a couple of roach.Then a tentative bite and a slight dip on the float, I lifted into it and again the elastic zoomed out,
After about 5 minutes of keeping the fish from going under the platform and keeping it from the weed. And standing up with topkit in my hand while using side pullers, I managed to trap the elastic between fingers and topkit, reach for landing net and scooped a carp of around 10lb.
Released the fish after resting it in the net, had a drink and sandwich, and decided to call it a day. Picture of carp enclosed
IMG20210918143749.jpg

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score

nottskev

Reaction score
A midday doctor's apt - not a phone consultation - was not to be turned down, but I was hoping to get to the river after. I didn.t get out til 1pm - 40 mins late, plus an interlude of I'll-get-my-colleague- to-have-a-look. With the stuff chucked in the car, I was on the way when the phone rang - rheumatology helpline, another thing not to miss. I said give me 10 mins to get off the road, and the nurse said she'd call again in 20 mins. An hour later, I'm long set up in a swim screaming barbel, but I can't cast in as two things would happen, a bite and a phone call, and there's no way you'd get a barbel out of this swim with a phone in one hand. So I sat for half an hour cattying in a bit of hemp and a few 8mm's. Phone call over, I cast in. And sat for 2 hours without a sign.

I've been thinking I'm sometimes more inclined, when after barbel, to sit in a swim than is good for me, so I'd lightened the gear yet further, and, since the empty car park told me I had the stretch to myself, I went a couple of hundred yards upstream to a swim with tailing branches and sunken trees at the back. I had some plugs of meat, some in smelly oil, and after previously trying various ways to mount it, opted to put it straight on the hook.

ft 34.jpg

The swim needed you to flick a light bomb out and tease it around to hold behind some of the trailing branches, but keep it out of the rocks in the edge, so the groundbait left over from a go on the feeder earlier in the week, I fed in small balls, with a guess to where they'd get down in 8' of pushy flow. It was the swim a friend fished when we were out together, and got one of the four he hooked out. I therefore had a point to prove, (I'd told him he fished too light) but of course I could keep quiet if I did no better.

It turned out to be a good move - 5 in two hours, and they all came out, luckily. Well, luck and a rod and line up to the job. Playing the fish was not an elegant business. This was the first

ft30.jpg

I'd have liked to weigh the last one, but since I rarely bother, I hadn't noticed the battery in the scales was flat. A definite that-will-do-for-today
fish.

ft 35.jpg

no-one in particular

Reaction score
This morning for a few mackerel, started float fishing with some fish strips and switched to a lure, which was a bit big for mackerel but hoping there might a bass underneath them. Quite a few coming up all along but not for me, they were all being caught in deeper water than I could access. A seal popped up, I had heard one had been seen. Loved the bloke in the inflatable, take it easy mate!
Interestingly, just as I packed up a bloke passed me with full fly fishing gear, he had been casting off the rocks. he said he did not catch any today but had some bass on Wednesday, just schoolies, he had a very heavy shooting leader on which he reckoned he could get out 60 ft. Wish I was a bit fitter and nimbler, as I would love to catch some on fly gear.
P1000232.JPG
P1000226.JPG
P1000227.JPG
P1000231.JPG

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Only two small perch to the light lures yesterday morning on the GUC, fallen leaves beginning to stack up in places along with weed, rushes churned up by boats. saw a raft of rushes about 8ft long and three feet wide serenely drifting down the middle of the canal.
Soon got fed up with lunatic mountain bikers tearing along the tow path as if it was their personal race track,, dog walkers with pooches bounding all over the place and the ignorant totally oblivious to a fantastic early autumn morning,misty, glowing red sun struggling to get through and the blackthorn and hawthorn loaded with berries.

nottskev

Reaction score
Sunday afternoon at the woodland pond, deserted as usual. I can see why it's not popular, beautiful place as it is. I've blanked twice this season, you can never get a bite before mid-afternoon, whole species -like the big ide - disappear for months. But there are some quality fish, and sometimes, when you've almost given up, a handful of bites in an hour puts 25lb of fish in the net, excluding the odd stockie which goes straight back. There don't seem to be any small fish, and the fish never show themselves.

Na 30.jpg

For the second time, I only brought pellet baits - 3mm krill, 4/6mm expanders, etc - and I set about fishing swims to left and right. As usual, nothing happened. Nothing I did induced a bite from either side for 2.5hrs. The float dipped and a second later a fish launched itself from the water and splashed back in.

It turned out to be the smallest bream I'd seen here, and it looked a bit less fit and healthy than the handsome, bigger fish I'd caught before.

na 31.jpg

At least I've started to catch, I thought, but I hadn't - I didn't get another bite. A cormorant - first I'd seen in the area - made a steep landing between me and the little island in the pic, saw me, and turned the landing into a take-off. That left the water rocking. I gave it half an hour and wrapped up. I'd spoken a few weeks back to one of the few who fish here, and he'd failed to catch bream on a feeder, but caught several 5lb fish when he pole fished tight to a big rush bed that lines one bank - an odd place to find them. I wonder if any of the odd behaviour of the fish might be due to cormorant visits?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Kev,you may find if cormorants are raiding the water the fish will find refuge near the margins.especially if there is plenty of cover.
Grimsditch Pool ,a Lymm water was plagued with a couple of cormorants,
The club made a few fish refuges and placed them in various parts of the pool.
This helped to cure the problem.