Helicopter rigs for roach

woody73b

Reaction score
Hi all. Just joined the group. I have a question. Been watching and reading alot about helicopter rigs for roach lately. My question bis are these fixed or semi fixed rigs. I bought some korum kits and even when the line is wet the stops feel tight to move. So in a break how would the hooklink slide off ? As in running rig line would pass through the feeder / weight leaving only the hooklink and length of line but I don't see how this would work with Heli rig or am I missing something. Took this picture from article in anglers mail. All help appreciated ??

Attachments

• Heli8.jpg
    Heli8.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 110

Philip

Reaction score
Unfortunatly the anwser is that the hooklink is fixed and its a tether rig which is what i have been saying for literally years on FM every time i see versions of that rig with a hooklink trapped between two stops.
Yes the stops slide but people test it by holding the lead and pulling the hooklink away from it to pull it free. However in an actual angling situation unless the lead snags that wont happen as the fish has no fixed point to pull against if the main line breaks and so the fish tows the lead. There is also the question whether a small fish like a Roach would be strong enough to slide the hooklink and stops off even if the lead was snagged.

woody73b

Reaction score
This is what I was thinking but then why do korum sell the kits if they are unsafe to use ?

rayner

Reaction score
What is wrong with just a straight running bomb or feeder. I have used the helicopter rig but it soon fell out of favour with me.

Philip

Reaction score
This is what I was thinking but then why do korum sell the kits if they are unsafe to use ?
Thats a question you would have to ask Korda and anyone else who sells a similar setup.

To be fair I see anglers making up very similar rigs with individual components themselves. Imo part of the problem is that often people only seem to think the concept of semi fixed or tether rigs applies to Carp.…big mistake.

Another example of a tether rig is anyone fishing a lead/feeder on one of those multiple loop rigs were the feeder slides in a large loop of line with a second /third loop creating a standoff boom effect for the hooklink. It’s a very common setup I have even seen recommended in mags by experts and no one bats an eyelid.

Amazing.

Philip

Reaction score
As someone has already said since when was any fishing safe for fish.

Thats a fair point Mike although I think there is a difference (at least for me) between some of the ridiculous OTT fish welfare practices and simply respecting your quarry & using common sense.

ian g

Reaction score
I haven't tried it but I do often put a bead above my swivel on a free running leger rig as I find the leger sometimes goes up the line when you cast a large lump of meat in when fishing rivers . I don't really fish the helicopter rig often and the tether aspect hadn't occurred to me , so thanks Phillip for pointing it out

Molehill

Reaction score
Don't think I have used the helicopter rig, but it has been on my radar for roach. If people read about a rig all the time and manufacturers promote it we tend to not consider the implications - taking it as face value to be safe etc.
But I have used float paternoster rigs for livebaiting (perch and pike) which is set up the same way, but also including a fixed float up the line as well.

rayner

Reaction score
My only change from a running rig was the paternoster, which was before the carp explosion.
Running is good tethers are not.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Hi all. Just joined the group. I have a question. Been watching and reading alot about helicopter rigs for roach lately. My question bis are these fixed or semi fixed rigs. I bought some korum kits and even when the line is wet the stops feel tight to move. So in a break how would the hooklink slide off ? As in running rig line would pass through the feeder / weight leaving only the hooklink and length of line but I don't see how this would work with Heli rig or am I missing something. Took this picture from article in anglers mail. All help appreciated ??
Welcome, Zerk, whatever you do don't mention Guru ?