What to buy?...

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
I have just ordered some rods and need some advice/opinions on reels.

I need a matching pair of reels to go with two drennan acolyte 11ft float rods. I also need a reel to go with an acolyte feeder (10ft). Any recommendations?

I'm also looking for a wooden float box. I want one with two compartments. A shallow compartment giving me two sides for floats and a deep compartment for all the other terminal tackle. Cant seem to find one that suits. Any ideas?

Reaction score
How much can you go to,lets be honest £20-450,take your choice,at the moment im using Cadence CR7,CR10 reels,I find them more than good enough for me,the CR10 is £120 ish I think,great drag,spool reducers,cant fault it...

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
How much can you go to,lets be honest £20-450,take your choice,at the moment im using Cadence CR7,CR10 reels,I find them more than good enough for me,the CR10 is £120 ish I think,great drag,spool reducers,cant fault it...
I don't really have a budget. I was thinking more about the right size/ balance to match the rods, quality of the reels (clutch, line lay, etc...)

Reaction score
If you go for a mid-priced Shimano or Daiwa you cant go wrong,I do not like 3000 sized reels,for anything and everything...

mikench

Reaction score
Shimano Vanford/ Stradic , Daiwa TDM / TDR. I would have bought reels at the same time as the rods.

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Shimano Vanford/ Stradic , Daiwa TDM / TDR. I would have bought reels at the same time as the rods.
I ordered the rods online. I was looking for advice on size of reels and recommendation regarding clutch, line lay, etc...

I have been advised and ordered the reels.

maceo

Reaction score
As far as the float box is concerned, I made my own out of an old wooden cigar box with some sticky-backed foam strips to hold the floats in place.

It works really well and of course you can make it to your own configuration.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I was going to say make your own float box or look around the charity/junk shops for something and alter it to how you want. I have a couple of medical first aid boxes that I use, plastic about 12*6*6 inches deep with a little tray in the top with compartments for hooks etc. and this lifts out and the floats and bigger stuff goes in the bottom and water proof. I think they only cost me about a quid. You might find one in said charity/junk shop if it suits you or cigar boxes or other types of boxes. Not pretty but useful, you could add compartments in the bottom if you wanted to separate the floats. This one is a bit empty at the movement but I get more in the bottom when I go fishing, bog roll, split shots etc. The other one I use for sea fishing, same thing, weights go in the bottom. Ideal for practical purposes in my opinion, had them a long time, not pretty but they never break or warp or anything. You can buy something similar on amazon but they are expensive.

. P1000265.JPG

Last edited:

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
It will have to go to the bank but I won't be putting it on the floor or letting it get wet

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
I would varnish it with some clear varnish,

"OAK VENEERED TOP & BOTTOM WITH SOLID OAK SIDES

BRASS PLATED HINGES & CATCH

COATED WITH TEAK OIL WHICH BRINGS OUT THE BEAUTY OF THE OAK WOOD"

That's what it says on the website

mikench

Reaction score
Mmm. Natural wood treated with teak oil is best left alone but regularly retreated with the oil. It would take 2 minutes to apply and 15 to soak in. Get an old car floor matt( the black rubber type ) to put on the floor and for your box to sit on. I take one to muddy swims for my tackle bag or cool bag to sit on.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think you can varnish over teak oil, won't spoil the finish but its up to you. Wouldn't take more than 10 or 15 mins with a couple of coats. Personally I would want it fully water proof, not sure that teak oil does that but I don't know. Very nice box, looks just the job.

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
I will just keep it inside whatever course fishing luggage bag I get when I'm not using it.

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
I am sure it will be OK.
To be honest it will only get used a handful of times during good weather in summer anyway. I'm only going course fishing as a way to catch up with my cousin more than anything. Most of my fishing is sea and then carp