Help locating something similar

The Sogster

Reaction score
Hi all,

For many years I have enjoyed the use of a pair of these rod bands primarily because of the useful loops for attaching a strap. Great for taking a rod and net over the shoulder and then strapping my walking stick over my shoulder when roving/ lure fishing.
They are quite big and originally fitted around a plastic rod tube plus net handle.
As can be seen the elastic on these are now shot, but I cannot find any current rod bands with loops. Does anyone know of any company selling something similar

20211009_002118.jpg

Thanks in advance

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
How does that actually work?
One loop for the top of your rod/ brolly/ landing net handle one for the bottom. They velcro down to size and the strap goes over your shoulder

no-one in particular

Reaction score
One loop for the top of your rod/ brolly/ landing net handle one for the bottom. They velcro down to size and the strap goes over your shoulder
Thanks, so the strap just hangs over your shoulder and then you attach your rod, landing net etc. through the loops and pull them tight, have I got that right? Looks a bit cumbersome with the rods etc. just swinging loose and strap could fall off your shoulder but I guess it must work, thinking of getting one.

Steve Ruff

Reaction score
Songster ...

I was tempted to get something similar years ago but never got around to it - think I will get them now as they look like they could be useful - and they are also cheap as chips (Insert comment about Yorkshire men here).

If you type “fishing rod sling“ into the Amazon search bar it brings up a good selection of items which may be of interest.

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Thanks, so the strap just hangs over your shoulder and then you attach your rod, landing net etc. through the loops and pull them tight, have I got that right? Looks a bit cumbersome with the rods etc. just swinging loose and strap could fall off your shoulder but I guess it must work, thinking of getting one.
Yeah they work ok. I use one when travelling light to a water I fish. Single rod, brolly and net pole. Small bag and a folding unhooking mat doubles as a cushion.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Yeah they work ok. I use one when travelling light to a water I fish. Single rod, brolly and net pole. Small bag and a folding unhooking mat doubles as a cushion.
Thanks I might get one, could be useful. I wouldn't use amazon but there are a few on eBay, £5.35. Actually I have just ordered one, free postage as well.

Last edited:

The Sogster

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies.

The solar strap looks OK, but I would prefer wider bands.
I will check out the links on amazon and ebay.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies.

The solar strap looks OK, but I would prefer wider bands.
I will check out the links on amazon and ebay.
I did think that myself but the eBay ones look OK to me and I can adjust the pad straps if necessary, I am sure I can put something in if required but I don't think I will have to, at £5.35 even if I find it unsuitable I have lost nothing.

Steve Ruff

Reaction score
I did think that myself but the eBay ones look OK to me and I can adjust the pad straps if necessary, I am sure I can put something in if required but I don't think I will have to, at £5.35 even if I find it unsuitable I have lost nothing.
Unsurprisingly a lot of this stuff comes from / is posted from China - which is amazing really given the cheap price and the fact that the price often includes the postage costs.

The stuff which is actually posted from China will take a while to get to the UK but that’s OK given the price of the item and so long as you don’t want it quickly - some of the Amazon stuff costs more but some will get to you sooner.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I used to make my own, I am sure @markg will kick himself after spending £5 on one from eBay.
Get a piece of "rope" similar to climbers rope, plenty of discount shops sell it, and the excess rope can be used for other things.
A couple of slip loops either end of chosen length of rope, put over rod ,brolly, handle, allow for tensioning, get an old car seat belt shoulder pad,open it and put over rope and then rope on shoulder as if carrying say a duffle bag, and away you go.

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
I
I used to make my own, I am sure @markg will kick himself after spending £5 on one from eBay.
Get a piece of "rope" similar to climbers rope, plenty of discount shops sell it, and the excess rope can be used for other things.
A couple of slip loops either end of chosen length of rope, put over rod ,brolly, handle, allow for tensioning, get an old car seat belt shoulder pad,open it and put over rope and then rope on shoulder as if carrying say a duffle bag, and away you go.
I'll bet you made a Tracy island as a kid didn't you! ? ??

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Unsurprisingly a lot of this stuff comes from / is posted from China - which is amazing really given the cheap price and the fact that the price often includes the postage costs.

The stuff which is actually posted from China will take a while to get to the UK but that’s OK given the price of the item and so long as you don’t want it quickly - some of the Amazon stuff costs more but some will get to you sooner.
True , they gave Oct 20th as delivery but I don't mind not in a rush and I won't use amazon on principle.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Bit late now innit but your right should have slowed down and used my excellent do it your self skills.

Keith M

Reaction score
I use one of these when I only want to carry a single rod on its own over my shoulder. I’m sure it didn’t cost very much as I have some Yorkshire blood in my veins somewhere so I wouldn’t have spent a lot of spondulas :)

It’s got Velcro along its length and a click strap around where the reel goes; and it also has a padded shoulder strap (not shown in pics).

Keith

Last edited: